Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 218/226 cam need just a touch more chop

Advanced Tuner

218/226 cam need just a touch more chop

I've got my MAF and VE table dialed in pretty good and the truck sounds healthy and is running great. I just wanted a touch more chop at idle. I can't find any information on how to make the GEN V chop a little more. I've read on previous generations to change the overspeed and underspeed tables but I'm guessing GEN V doesn't have these tables? It's so close to sounding like I want and it's like it wants to chop for just a second then goes away. Any help would be great!!!

It's on my L86 218/226 LSA 113, speed engineering headers, not cat and magnaflow 12909. Also I have the Idle Base Setpoint at 735. I tried lower but it didn't seem that stable in parking lots. But that was before I got a wideband and dialed in the MAF and VE.
    Last edited by Jonblarc7; 05-19-2020 at 12:38 PM.

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    really depends on how much timing your seeing, best to post log, but that is a small camshaft to expect a big chop
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Advanced Tuner
    Ok I will post one this afternoon thanks. But just going off memory it seems to hoover right and 10 plus or minus 2 at idle.

I don't expect huge chop. I want just enough chop to know its cammed

You could try and force it into open loop at idle and lean the mixture out a little, but really you just need a larger cam and/or less LSA if you want the chop.

If you are around mid teens and little lower already in Closed loop about as good as it will get

That’s IF timing is MOVING around and not just stuck at 10 due to the Tq model not being right

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Advanced Tuner
    Before I put the headers on. In the winter I would remote start it in the morning and let it warm up. By the time I got my 4 year old out the door and to the truck it would be pretty warm and would have a slight chop and I mean a baby chop. But it sounded good, since I put the headers on and I got much louder the baby chop is gone LOL. I guessing because the air flow change so much?

I adjusted the Idle Speed control reserve by lowering it, it was hunting pretty bad. And Bump up the Idle external load because it was idling lower than commanded. So it should basically just stick and 10 at idle

No it should not stick at 10... it should move around 4-6 degrees

14 Gen 5 Viper

Advanced Tuner
    I?ll post the tune and log shortly. Thanks guys

Advanced Tuner
    Here you go.

The only other thing I'm working on is the amount of KR after adding the headers. I did have any before headers but now I constantly will lugging up a hill around 1600 to 1800 rpms.

3-3-20 BBA_G5MAF_v15 15 ve final.hpt5-20-20 5.hpl

Is your exhaust touching anywhere??

Usually headers allow more breathing room and more timing typically

14 Gen 5 Viper

Advanced Tuner
    Not that I can find or hear but I can check again.

Advanced Tuner
    Just a question if it was my headers hitting. When I take 5 degrees out to do my MAF and VE tuning would the knock still be present? Because once I take 5 degrees out it goes away.

If you can remove it and stays away then I doubt it’s the exhaust touching causing it

14 Gen 5 Viper

Advanced Tuner
    Here is what it sounded like right after I put the headers on but didn't do any tuning yet.

https://youtu.be/bUuilQUZa7M

Tuner in Training
    I have the same cam in my l83. It's just a small cam. I've dialed in my fueling near perfect and it idles as smooth as stock. I'll get some lope/chop at cold starts and even more when it's real cold out. But as soon as it warms up it smooths out. I've started back from scratch and always end up with the same result. I've left it in maf only, lowered idle some, and left it a little lean at idle and it would keep a decent lope all day in park but as soon as I put it in drive or turned the A/C on it smooths back out. Torque based tuning is a pain when you dont have the time anymore.
    2016 Silverado CCSB L83/6l80e
    TSP cam 218/226, .635"/.635", 113 LSA 10% FL
    TSP LT headers
    Circle D Billet converter

Advanced Tuner
    I agree when it was cold out and I remote started it. As it warmed up it would have a baby chop which was perfect. I was just hopping I could duplicate that on a regular.

I just remembered seeing people post that they could get any cam to chop some. Since I?m not experienced I was hopping somebody could enlighten me LOL.

Either way I happy with the power from the cam and how it drives. I just wanted other people to hear all the work I put into this thing with doing heads and a cam.

Advanced Tuner
    Do you still have a variable camshaft?

If you want it to chop more go to engine>idle>rpm>adaptive>speed control>immediate table.
    multiply the values by 2 for columns -75 to 75 error and then make transition to the columns to the left and the right smooth.

This will make the timing to oscillate causing an aggressive chop.

Advanced Tuner
    Ok I?ll give that try.

Hondaeater it?s got a 0 degree lock out.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ahmedabri97 View Post
    If you want it to chop more go to engine>idle>rpm>adaptive>speed control>immediate table.
    multiply the values by 2 for columns -75 to 75 error and then make transition to the columns to the left and the right smooth.

This will make the timing to oscillate causing an aggressive chop.

That worked great. If I wanted to add just a tap more could I do the same thing again but multiple by 1.5??