Thread: Start sequence disable?

Start sequence disable?

Is there a straightforward way to disable the cold start sequence that lights off the cats? On a car with an off-road pipe, it's uselessly LOUD. As in, shakes my whole house loud. The sequence usually involves a BIG spark retard and additional fuel to light off the cats.

Is there a simple way to "disable" this on the Copperhead PCM? Searching in the software and on these forums didn't turn up anything.

Advanced Tuner
    I dont have my tuning laptop with me currently, but aren't the spark tables like "cold start adder" the ones that do this? I had those types maxed on my car and it started nice and quiet. You just need more spark advance to quiet it down.

its been a while since ive done it but I believe that was it.

Post your map. They are called different things in different years

Quote Originally Posted by mattlinke View Post
    ...but aren't the spark tables like "cold start adder" the ones that do this?
    I don't have "Cold Start Adder," but I did find "Spark Base Emissions Reduction." Maybe changing all these values to 55 will disable the spark "retard" during cold start? I originally disregarded this table as I recall the timing on startup was more retarded than the values shown on this table. Perhaps I should log it.

My tune is attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Update: IT WORKED! Changing these tables as such disabled the start-up spark retard that was making the car obnoxious on start-up. Success! I call this "good neighbor start up mode."

Screen Shot 2020-05-24 at 2.58.20 PM.png
    Last edited by WesDuenkel; 05-27-2020 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WesDuenkel View Post
    Update: Changing these tables as such disabled the start-up spark retard that was making the car obnoxious on start-up. Success! I call this "good neighbor start up mode."

Screen Shot 2020-05-24 at 2.58.20 PM.png
    neighbor friendly mode
    Turbocharged COYOTE

PM for E tune / Remote Tuning
    [email protected]

I think I am going to check on this also. Thx.

Potential Tuner
    Yeah, interesting. Have you tried changing to 55?

Advanced Tuner
    I?m glad it worked out for you.

Potential Tuner
    Great find, thanks for sharing. I'm guessing that will be better than reducing the cold start timer because it still keeps the idle up just doesn't reduce timing so far. At cold start I've seen these things idle at -15 degrees or less and it does make them pretty loud.