Thread: ZF8 tuning

Tuner in Training

ZF8 tuning

Hello,

I have a 2013 Audi a6 3.0t. I have the trans-tuned and normally shift at 7000rpm which is fine but when I got curious about shifting at 7200 and set it up to do so I seem to be having issues. It bounces off the shift point for just a brief second before shifting and I can't seem to figure out why. I'm not seeing any sort of limiters in the Ecu tune that I've missed or anything. Hoping someone else has experienced this and has some sort of input. Just to clarify shifts great at 7000 no issues at all.

Tuner in Training
    Drop your files here with a log and someone more experienced will chime in.

Tuner in Training
    Hard to say without a log, but It could be the car running out of fueling up top. It was for me at least on my 3.0T

Potential Tuner
    I am also curious....
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by s8revshigh; 01-21-2023 at 11:06 PM.

Tuner in Training
    I feel dumb for not even considering fueling, I will go get a log once the sun comes out a bit. Im in montana and we dont currently have ideal logging weather

Tuner in Training

Requested Logs

Okay, I finally had time to get out and get a couple of logs. If I remember correctly both are 1-2-3 pulls. I will include both logs as well as my tune incase that is pertinent. Let me know if I need to add any channels to logging. TIA

Tuner in Training
    On your logs I see the gauges show over 7200k but on the graph it never hits over 7k, I'm new to this so sure if this is relevant.
    also noticed on the first log that you have Trouble Codes:
    U0101 - Lost Communication with TCM (Pending)

Tuner
    Hello!

It is possible to change to 7200 rpms. It would required some further tune changes.
    Interesting enough, I just tune a Challenger 1320 to upshift at 7250 rpms.

Let me know.
    Dodge Boy
    https://www.youtube.com/@dodgeboy2785

Tuner
    Also, looks like the shift is not sharp.... on both. And, potential issues with engine intervention
    The_Duke_7200rpms.png

The_Duke_7200rpms_02.png
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tuner in Training
    Hello,

I forgot that I previously made this post. Still, no luck trying to get it to shift at 7200. I found some timing tables that I forgot to scale past 7000 and figured that would for sure be the issue but the car does the same thing. Hits 7200 bounces off the limiter once and then shifts. In sport mode, the car will shift at 7200 but only where it desires. ex, 1-2 6900 2-3 7000 3-4 7100 4-5 7200. However, in manual mode, it tries to shift at 7200 every shift but fails. I will include a log in case anyone is curious.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by DodgeBoy_8HP View Post
    Also, looks like the shift is not sharp.... on both. And, potential issues with engine intervention
    The_Duke_7200rpms.png

The_Duke_7200rpms_02.png
    Yea unfortunately the shift is not sharp due to the car trying to shift at 7200 but bouncing off the limiter instead. The car shifts great at the 7000 rpm I raised it to however all canned OTS tunes normally shift at 7200 with the zf8 on these cars so I figure there must be a benefit to it which is why I am trying to get it to work properly.

Tuner in Training
    The duke, your max engine speed tables (Shift Scheduling > OSS Limits) the 6500rpm line and the 8500 rpm line have OSS numbers that are too low I believe.

I might have it all wrong trying to remember what someone had told me here. IIRC these needed to be a bit higher than the requested shift speed.