Thread: Nitrous on 1.6 ecoboost issues

Tuner in Training

Nitrous on 1.6 ecoboost issues

Hey there, so I drive a fairly moddified Fiesta st, and recently installed a nitrous kit, The issue i am having is when im spraying the acctual throttle position drops off to sometimes 40 percent, and as soon as it comes off full throttle my Nitrous deactivates, So in turn it surges Ill attach the log file of it so you can see(see 4min 50 sec )051920 See 4min50sec to 4min55sec for example.hpl, I cant for the life of me figure out what is causing it to pull throttle. Doesnt do it when im not on spray so something is definatley not happy with the nitrous, Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

ECU is probably pulling back due to load/torque output going over set targets. It can estimate what the engine is making and it will also see the AFR's being uncontrollable due to the NOS.

Personally wouldn't use NOS on the 1.6, extra cyl pressure generated is likely to crack or oval the bores on these.

Advanced Tuner
    They have saw cut blocks that dont do well with mods that generate more heat. Almost all the Ford 4 cylinder ecoboost engine have issues with the saw cuts blocks. The thermal cycling, over time wear out the head gasket in between the bores, and will eventually have a gasket failure. This applies to all the Ecoboost I4 engines. Throwing nitrous at it, will not help.

Tuner in Training
    Well im using a wet small shot of nitrous afr are good through the whole pull, the fastest fiesta st in the world is running nitrous, so i know this can be done Just at a stand still on how to get it there

Tuner in Training
    What does your LSPI tables look like?

Tuner in Training
    I will take a look at it hopefully later today and get back to you on what I find. Mind you I'm still very new to tuning in general but I was fighting a throttle closure on my escape until last night. So trying to spread any knowledge I've gained.

Tuner in Training
    thanks man i really appreciate it any knowledge helps

Tuner in Training
    Its very hard to see what's holding you back on your tune with the parameters in the datalog. What was happening to my escape was the throttle angle was being limited by "Torque Control "or part pedal. This was very vague and made it seem like it was a part pedal limit so originally I raised the Max load or Combustion max which did nothing. Eventually I started back at stock and adjusted the LSPI tables by 25% at a time past 2k rpm. What I would try would be to raise your Lo,Hi, and Nominal LSPI from 2500-6500 to 3 instead of 2.2. Also I have posted my ford escape scanning parameters partially based on the 3.5 ecoboost tuning guide and a thread on focus RS forums called. Tuning ecoboost for fun "not for profit". I would also suggest changing in the same tab (but under maximum torque) the setpoint, Max torque 1, and max torque 2 to match the tables below which are set at 378. (But not sure if it would matter since I haven't messed with this much) 1.6T fiesta.PNG

Here are the parameters im using on my escape

Ecoboost Layout 3.Layout.Layout.xml

ford escape channels.Channels.xml
    Last edited by dubau2; 05-26-2020 at 11:16 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Ok ill try these changes and log the channels and post an update

Tuner in Training
    what are would be the changes on it?

Tuner in Training
    Godzilla the changes will hopefully move his torque control limit up enough to keep the throttle open during WOT pulls. This should keep his Nitrous activated instead of cutting in and out which will cause multiple spikes and potentially throttle oscillation. Hopefully that answered your question.
    Last edited by dubau2; 05-27-2020 at 02:22 PM.

Tuner in Training
    I seem to have fixed it by upping all the lspi tables by 25 percent l my car is a rocket now lol

Tuner in Training
    One other thing at part throttle my boost surges right in the normal driving range it builds boost blows off builds boost blows off over and over and so annoying. Any input on this would be great

Tuner in Training
    Can you post the data log and newest tune revision?? In wanting to take a look at the driver demand.