Thread: Combined PCM - can you combine engine and transmission tunes from different vehicles?

Tuner in Training

Combined PCM - can you combine engine and transmission tunes from different vehicles?

edit: I'm wrong on some of my information in this first post. Updating this to save anyone else going down the wrong path.

Hi all,

I'm researching swapping a W5A580 (Nag1) transmission into my 2012 Durango R/T, to replace the 65RFE.

For the 2012 model year, the v6 Durango with the 3.6 pentastar was sold with the W5A580 transmission.

Physically, the PCM units for the 5.7 and 3.6 look the same (4 connectors), which is at least a lot closer than the separate ECM and TCM units found on later models with the 8 speed transmission. edit: It now looks like the PCM in the 3.6 has, but doesn't use the green transmission connector.

I'll start the pinout comparison shortly.

For now, my question is - even though it's a combined PCM unit, could I theoretically flash it with the transmission 'tune' from a v6 and the engine 'tune' from a v8 using HP tuners?

thank you very much.
    Last edited by Taymar; 05-24-2020 at 10:10 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    I believe the earlier durango used a GPEC2 engine controller and the later ones used a GPEC2A. The connections might look the same but they are different PCMs.

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...tion-2-25-Beta

Pinouts are different, see note on page 18 in the PDF below.
    https://www.challengertalk.com/attac...ag-pdf.939595/

Ah, no the 2011-2013 used NGC4A, 2014 used GPEC2. You might be able to compare and copy over some of the differences but I doubt you can flash one calibration from another directly.
    Last edited by Homer; 05-22-2020 at 09:32 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Thank you, from that reference PDF the NCC4A definitely looks like what's in there.

I've been looking at all sorts of transmission swaps to get rid of the 65RFE, and this option seems to be the closest to a factory setup I've found yet (since this transmission, engine, and PCM were all offered in the same chassis albeit not in that exact combination).

If it's not viable with the HP Tuners software, is there any other option I would have to get it working with the factory PCM? Would a professional tuner or a willing Dodge technician be able to do this with some different tools?

Thanks again so much for the help - I want to make sure I understand the limitation and if there's another way to do this.

Advanced Tuner
    I don't think HP tuners is enough for a trans swap, you might need software like AlfaOBD to change configurations in the BCM as well.

Tuner in Training
    Got it, thank you.

This is probably beyond my expertise, but if I'm following it sounds like this would be technically possible. I'll see if I can find a tuner.

edit: Looks like I'm completely wrong on the TCM piece of this. From what it now looks like, the v6 Durango does indeed use the NGC4A PCM, but the green (transmission) connector is not pinned/not used on that model.

Instead it has a separate module, EGS53(?) for the Nag1/W5A580 transmission.
    Last edited by Taymar; 05-24-2020 at 10:09 AM.

Potential Tuner
    What about a 66RFE?