Thread: twin turbo coyote lean above 5500 RPM

twin turbo coyote lean above 5500 RPM

I have been trying a few things and cannot seem to get the logs to change above 5500 RPM.... car runs awesome... this is a crate coyote install into a custom car... I thought initially that the fuel pump was running out of steam... and it was ? so I went to a much larger pump and now at redline I seeing 65 PSI at 9 psi boost.. 55 base... I have fixed everything else in the tune... I have asked for help in a few other places as well... but I am wanting to lean why what I have changed thus far has no effect... I have mess with the curve and I can clearly see that it is commanding richer... but it isn't getting there... not sure...just looking for some validation

if you all have time and feel like looking this over... that would be great... car made right at 700 RWHP on the dyno... not a miss in sight...runs clean.

hope everyone is healthy!!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by eriktreves; 05-22-2020 at 08:42 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Eriktreves, put "Fuel Base Cold" table back to stock. I've attached a screenshot of tables that worked for me on my 2011 Mustang GT with single turbo. ***don't forget to change the Y axis Row labels***

- Engine-->Fuel-->Open Loop/Base-->Fuel Base Cold
    - Engine-->Fuel-->Power Enrich-->Fuel Enrichment Pedal
    - Engine-->Airflow-->Variable Camshaft--> Optimum Power-->Enable Pedal Position
    - Engine-->Airflow-->Variable Camshaft--> Optimum Power-->Enable % Load
    - Engine-->Airflow-->Variable Camshaft--> Optimum Power-->Enable % Load Hyst

WOT Fix.jpg

Thanks... I was just noticing that the car was in cold engine warm up under WOT ?? I will make the change and report back...

I did just notice that my "- Engine-->Airflow-->Variable Camshaft--> Optimum Power-->Enable Pedal Position" was set to zero in this tune? not sure how that happened since all others that I have are not this way. The cold tables from the stock 2016 Crate ECU are not far off from mine...I am a little hesitant to put them to 1.00 since I am at .81 now and I am lean... I will try your others though for sure.
    Last edited by eriktreves; 05-23-2020 at 04:56 AM.

must have been too early - but my enable pedal position wasn't 0.. anyway - I put the changes in - no change...put everything back... anything else we can try?

Try setting the Cylair Anticipation to disabled under airflow>general>Maf calibration...

wildo - what does that do exactly? only asking because I am still trying to understand this ECU... normally I have WOT is the EASIEST thing to tune vs drivability - for some reason this car is backwards..lol

Nvm... I did a search on it - nice... ok I understand now... thanks I will give it a try here in a bit... it just started raining....rrrrrrr
    Last edited by eriktreves; 05-23-2020 at 10:36 AM.

well holy crap... that worked! 11.2 -11.7.. or around .77 lambda.... anyway... amazing how that allowed the MAF to be tuned correctly..

nice to finally see the AFR's down there... and this was a HOT sticky day down here in AL..... The log is a 3rd gear pull.... then another shifting pull from 2 to 3 to redline in each gear....

pretty happy and only took 7 pulls...

WOOT
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    According the the log you posted, looks like your fuel source is "(OL) Cold Eng. Start up", it seems the car is still using your Fuel Base Cold table as a reference for commanded A/F. At WOT the fuel source should say "(OL) Power Demand Enrich".

I also noticed you have a bit of detonation going on, computer pulling 4 degrees, which is the max your tune allows to be pulled. It still looks like you are going on the lean side because of what computer is commanding, the "Equivalence Ratio Commanded" should be a solid number and not jump around so much at WOT. I'm just trying to help point things out that would concern me. Great job and good luck with the car!

thanks! yeah I don't know what to make of the (OL) Cold eng. start up... this is a crate ECU so a lot of functions under the glass are not connected (under the glass)that I am told.. for example the decel cutoff is not adjustable in this ECU.. so I am not sure that PID is real.... I am open to all suggestions... honestly... I feel better that I am not at 13:1 at least at WOT at 9 psi now...and it is responding to fuel adjustments... I had it down in the 10.5:1 when I just turned that one Cylair selection to disable. I think the 4* is coming off of the hit as it goes lean potentially but only in 3rd gear...if it's a real knock.. I made need to just add a bit more down low...

again thanks for the attention on this - nice thing is it's a long weekend and I have plenty of gas in the tank if we want to try something else

Tuner
    I do not know why its using the fuel base cold tables. You also need to set you target lambda in this table for WOT. You need to increase the Enrichment Rate. Allow more timing to be retarded. I think the commanded lambda is changing to correct the you actual lambda. It thinks you are running rich so it commands leaner mixture.

Yes thanks... I figured I would do a test, to see if in fact it WAS looking in the fuel base cold tables... so I changed the top target AFRs to .77... I also notice as you were suggesting that the timing might need some review - sure enough early in the pull it was adding timing vs retarding... so I fixed that.. which also made that part of the curve richer.... I also thing the "knock" is not engine knock based on the tune - I think one of the exhaust pipes is hitting the tube chassis or one of the intercooler pipes- it never knocks in the same spot and I was able to get several pulls without any knock. I also added a little more transient fuel for the tip in which helped it take the throttle.

In the end - with only 4 pulls I was able to get the AFR .75-.79 and a much more normal timing curve... the injector p/w also settled down... the trims are also looking better.

I can post the log if you want... but here is the last pull I did... drive-ability is really good...

hope everyone had a great weekend !
    Attached Images Attached Images

Whats the setup?