Thread: AFR/Lambda question

Advanced Tuner

AFR/Lambda question

Greetings.

On the GM DI (Direct Injection) side, we tune for .85 Lambda (~12.5 AFR based on 93 octane with 0% Ethanol/14.7 stoich) WOT on boosted applications (1.176 EQ Ratio). Does the VR30DDTT like the same AFR/Lambda? If so, the factory tune is SUPER RICH. I've been lurking on the JB4 forum and Burger targets 12.5 with their fuel wires (I will be glad when EVERYONE speaks Lambda...). I honestly dont like how they accomplish this. Reminds me of the early days when we used resistors to fool IAT sensors (tricking the ECM into adding fuel and timing) and MAF translators. And it looks like the timing curve is VERY conservative. I really need to see the KR PID. As soon as I get some "supporting mods" installed on this thing, Im digging into the tune...
    Last edited by jaydubb71; 05-23-2020 at 11:28 AM.
    Daily Driver= 2003 BMW 330xi
    Weekend Cruiser= 2009 Pontiac G8 GT (Vararam, TSP LS3 N/A Stage 1, OBX, CTS-V converter, MagnaFlows w/ J-Pipes, 160 t-stat)
    Project Car= 1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS (LQ4 w/ Gen 4 Rods, LS3 heads, turbo...)
    Truck= 2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT LY5 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by jaydubb71 View Post
    Greetings.

On the GM DI (Direct Injection) side, we tune for .85 Lambda (~12.5 AFR based on 93 octane with 0% Ethanol/14.7 stoich) WOT on boosted applications (1.176 EQ Ratio). Does the VR30DDTT like the same AFR/Lambda? If so, the factory tune is SUPER RICH. I've been lurking on the JB4 forum and Burger targets 12.5 with their fuel wires (I will be glad when EVERYONE speaks Lambda...). I honestly dont like how they accomplish this. Reminds me of the early days when we used resistors to fool IAT sensors (tricking the ECM into adding fuel and timing) and MAF translators. And it looks like the timing curve is VERY conservative. I really need to see the KR PID. As soon as I get some "supporting mods" installed on this thing, Im digging into the tune...
    Yes the factory tune is very rich and these things love timing increases. When we were doing testing there was a pickup of something like 30-35whp alone on just timing and fuel changes alone, before we started testing boost changes (on an SS though, YMMV).

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by evan.s@hptuners View Post
    Yes the factory tune is very rich and these things love timing increases. When we were doing testing there was a pickup of something like 30-35whp alone on just timing and fuel changes alone, before we started testing boost changes (on an SS though, YMMV).
    How lean did you all tune for during testing?