Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are we poaching ??

Tuner

Are we poaching ??

Im new here but I have noticed that there are some folks who come to the forums looking for someone to write a tune for them. I thought that was a NO NO since it short of cuts out tuners who may make a living doing this work. I was just interested to see everyone elses take on going beyond giving pointers and doing as much as providing files free of charge to correct issues. Isnt this poaching?

Advanced Tuner
    It's not poaching but I guess human nature. People want stuff for free or want things done without putting in the time and effort.

Tuner
    I'm still learning but even I get a little annoyed to see someone just flat out ask for a free tune to get them where they need to be. Whats worse is that someone ACTUALLY sends them a tune file lol. I guess its no biggie but just wanted to see if I was the only person bothered by it. I'm all for help but I'm not writing a complete tune file for you...for free.

Advanced Tuner
    Best way to learn is to read up
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...l=1#post525502
    and then reduce to practise.

Tuner
    Oh yes I agree. I'm making the investment just seems lazy for some people to just pop on and ask for a whole tune. Om I'm over it. No need to rant forever.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by dubbsix View Post
    Oh yes I agree. I'm making the investment just seems lazy for some people to just pop on and ask for a whole tune. Om I'm over it. No need to rant forever.
    poaching? HAHahHAHAhHHAhahHAHAHHAHhAHHAhhHAHAhHAhAHHAhhahhah ahahhaHHHAhHHAHAhHAHAhAHHAHahHAHAAHHAHahHAhHAHAhHA HAhAH
    whew..... HHahAhahahahAHhahhahaHahhaAHHahHAhAHAHHHAhHAhAHHAH AhHHAhAHhhhhahhHAhhahhaHAhahAHHAhHAhHAhAHAHAHAHHAH hHA'
    wait....are you being serious? poaching?
    BWAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHHAHHAH AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAAAAAHHAAA
    i bet you havent completed the tide pod challenge...yet.

Senior Tuner
    There didn't used to be as much of that on this forum. I'm finding a trend where questions will be asked that if someone knew the answer they know it and could give solution yet you get almost immediate post tune responses for people to get tune to add to their collection too.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by tbrtuning View Post
    There didn't used to be as much of that on this forum. I'm finding a trend where questions will be asked that if someone knew the answer they know it and could give solution yet you get almost immediate post tune responses for people to get tune to add to their collection too.
    I get it. HPTuners is not as user friendly as loading up a Diablo tune using their UI and pressing a few buttons, so there is more help and guidance that is needed. I dont run a tune shop, but I would think that at some point if you are completely lost and asking for a file to get your car running then you dont have what it takes to do this correctly and should pay someone for their acquired skill to help you out. Why come here for freebies -- and the you do have the added risk that if the tune provided grenades your engine you have no one to blame. Its really all good, I didnt intend for this to be one of those live-forever bitching sessions. I just wanted to know when does helping out cross the line into just poaching business from hard working tuners because novices can get a running file here for free.

Tuner in Training
    helping out cross the line? wtf? people will always pay a good tuner for a good tune, because of knowledge and experience. yes you can do the research and yes some times tuners give you holysh!t free advice or even a free tune!!!!! the humanity!!!!!!! in the end, some stuff is always going to end up in the wind. most businesses account for a certain percentage of loss. in the long run however usually the freebies bring in business by that customer themself or word of mouth to people they talk to. ive gotten free tunes from most of the big names because i treat them with respect, and they give me a generic baseline tune. if i want more(who doesnt?) i end up paying them for a datalogged tune.

the elitist attitude and thinking somehow tunes are being stolen simply doesnt work in todays world. a better way is to sell your service, knowledge, experience, and personality. you want some examples??? google SSI, that guys sets records but what a reputation he has created. now google gearhead, 5star, unleashed, or brewcity.

at the end of the day, share the knowledge and help people learn....unless you are scared they will be serious competition...in that case, up your game.

Tuner
    All good points. I can't and don't really argue against that. I simply asked what's the feeling on the topic. I love the energy around the topic though. I'm not worried about it personally I just wanted to see if others were.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by dubbsix View Post
    All good points. I can't and don't really argue against that. I simply asked what's the feeling on the topic. I love the energy around the topic though. I'm not worried about it personally I just wanted to see if others were.
    good stuff man. maybe one day we can help each other. be well.

Tuner
    For sure man. I sure we will one day.

Advanced Tuner
    I ran across this post, which seems like it should be in the off-topic "LOUNGE" forum where I wouldn't have seen it.

All that I ask is where do you draw the line between helping someone and this "poaching"?

I have always tried to help other folks on forums. All the way back to the early 2000s when we were tricking stuff with ziener diodes, building map clamps and doing crazy stuff like adding cold start injectors with pressure switches and using rising rate fuel pressure regulators (fmu). We would always share what we were doing and try to give the other folks a good starting place - but ultimately it's up to the end user to know if what we told them was right for their application or right at all.

The internet was a great place to share information. I was very hopeful that it would become a place to further knowledge and help one another. Boy was I wrong.
    It's actually a place to fuck with other people and watch cat videos!
    If in doubt, multiply everything by 1.1.

Poaching is a bit of a HUGE STRETCH.

To poach, you'd have to sit outside of a tuner's shop and stop a customer on their way in an offer a free tune. That isn't what's happening here.

This is more of a case of your neighbor coming over to help you reassemble the drum brakes on your car; you've taken this project on yourself to learn something new and save a few bucks, only to find maybe it's a little over your head and you've asked for help. Once you've tried it you're likely going to go one of two ways next time - do it yourself again or take it to a shop.

I'm sure that many of the noobs here, myself included, may take a stab at tuning themselves, and might even get help with a tune here - but it will be hard to beat a good tuner with your car on the dyno, and that's worth paying for.

For me, there are no tuners or dynos in my immediate area - it's at least 60 miles to get to one. So I might as well learn something, turn off VATS, etc, and test myself a little. Then, when I'm serious and the budget allows, I'll pay a reputable tuner to get the tune just right.

And I'f I'm lucky I'll get pretty close with the help of the good folks here.. all of whom were at one time not tuners themselves, and likely hoped someone would give them a hand to get started.
    1972 Triumph Spitfire Ecotec Swap
    MEFI-4B & L61 - deceased; ate it's own balance shafts - because I did a dumb.
    E37 & GenII L61 - Runs great! (extracted from an '07 Pontiac Pursuit / G5)
    LSJ for the future..?

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by spoolboy View Post
    I ran across this post, which seems like it should be in the off-topic "LOUNGE" forum where I wouldn't have seen it.

All that I ask is where do you draw the line between helping someone and this "poaching"?

I have always tried to help other folks on forums. All the way back to the early 2000s when we were tricking stuff with ziener diodes, building map clamps and doing crazy stuff like adding cold start injectors with pressure switches and using rising rate fuel pressure regulators (fmu). We would always share what we were doing and try to give the other folks a good starting place - but ultimately it's up to the end user to know if what we told them was right for their application or right at all.

The internet was a great place to share information. I was very hopeful that it would become a place to further knowledge and help one another. Boy was I wrong.
    It's actually a place to fuck with other people and watch cat videos!
    I think the nature of the forum and the connectivity that the Internet give us is to help one another. Dont get down on things because of the topic. There is still alot of collaboration going on in the forums and I am sure it will continue.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by DanN View Post
    Poaching is a bit of a HUGE STRETCH.

To poach, you'd have to sit outside of a tuner's shop and stop a customer on their way in an offer a free tune. That isn't what's happening here.

This is more of a case of your neighbor coming over to help you reassemble the drum brakes on your car; you've taken this project on yourself to learn something new and save a few bucks, only to find maybe it's a little over your head and you've asked for help. Once you've tried it you're likely going to go one of two ways next time - do it yourself again or take it to a shop.

I'm sure that many of the noobs here, myself included, may take a stab at tuning themselves, and might even get help with a tune here - but it will be hard to beat a good tuner with your car on the dyno, and that's worth paying for.

For me, there are no tuners or dynos in my immediate area - it's at least 60 miles to get to one. So I might as well learn something, turn off VATS, etc, and test myself a little. Then, when I'm serious and the budget allows, I'll pay a reputable tuner to get the tune just right.

And I'f I'm lucky I'll get pretty close with the help of the good folks here.. all of whom were at one time not tuners themselves, and likely hoped someone would give them a hand to get started.
    Yea it was a bit of click bait or overly dramatic title, which was kind of the point. As a noob myself I get it the need for help. I have given and have received help on the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    Best way to learn is to read up
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...l=1#post525502
    and then reduce to practise.
    That post you linked to needs to be copied and put up as a sticky post! That "Read me" list is garbage.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sienile View Post
    That post you linked to needs to be copied and put up as a sticky post! That "Read me" list is garbage.
    Done.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    Done.
    So the sticky has the title "Are we poaching"? Why not make this post the sticky: https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...l=1#post525502

In the Dodge Engine section? The "New to dodge tuning..." title will also be more appropriate.

No, he put it in the Read Me sticky as the last item. It links directly to that post.