Thread: Run MAF Open Loop Only, or MAF and Narrowbands??

Run MAF Open Loop Only, or MAF and Narrowbands??

I have questions for all of the V6 tuners. My 2000 GTP does not use VE tables. It is strictly MAF. I have tuned the car using a MAF AFR ERROR histogram, using the method described by Russ K. I can run open loop 24/7, with no KR and an 11.8 AFR setting for Base vs. ECT. The car runs smooth, shifts smooth, idles smooth, much better in Open Loop than it runs with Narrowband O2 sensors.

Has anyone run Open Loop 24/7 with a V6? Should I expect any future problems if I run Open Loop 24/7?

Your opinions, whether you agree or disagree, are most welcome.

Come on guys, 49 people viewed my post and NO ONE has an opinion??
    Last edited by coachcrow56; 06-04-2020 at 09:37 PM.
    2.8/3.0/3.2 Pulley/ZZP CAI/1.6 HS Rockers/Hi Energy Comp Cam 76-802-9/LS7 Lifters/ZZP Stage 2 Intercooler/TOG Headers/Triple Edge Performance Stage 3 Transmission/3.29 Ratio/NGK TR6ix IRIDIUM .40 GAP/ZZP Fuel Rails/ZEX 100 shot NOS/GMPP Sway Bars/KYB Adjustable Struts/Power Stop Performance Pads/Rotors

Tuner in Training
    Yeah, my car runs great on open loop as well. But eventually I got C/L to play nice. I don't think that it's bad for the car, buy your mileage will probably suck. Other than that i can't see why it would hurt. You might have to have several tunes if the climate changes much where you live.

Yes, the car runs better and feels better, but my gas mileage has suffered. I have tuned the car for both, OL and CL, so I can switch whenever the weather gets crazy. The main problem I have is finding a brand of narrow band sensors that will last and be accurate. I have tried Denso, AC-Delco, and Bosch, but nothing seems to last. They seem to work fine cruising down the highway, but stop switching and hang up either lean or rich when sitting at a stop sign.
    2.8/3.0/3.2 Pulley/ZZP CAI/1.6 HS Rockers/Hi Energy Comp Cam 76-802-9/LS7 Lifters/ZZP Stage 2 Intercooler/TOG Headers/Triple Edge Performance Stage 3 Transmission/3.29 Ratio/NGK TR6ix IRIDIUM .40 GAP/ZZP Fuel Rails/ZEX 100 shot NOS/GMPP Sway Bars/KYB Adjustable Struts/Power Stop Performance Pads/Rotors