Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Injector timing and transients

Senior Tuner
    yea impact and evap are both higher numbers to add more fuel, they are telling the ecu that more is sticking to walls and more is evaporating so it has to richen to compensate, yea 70 is pretty late if the boundary is 520 and u only have a few more deg overlap then mine was and i use 80-85 for mine but if its good and then bad after a start then there is something alse to dial in as mentioned, short pulse adder and min pulse is injector data and should be added to suit the injectors u have to correct them for lower PW

I agree with something else is up. I think you both are right about the injector temp. I will work on inj temp before trying impact and evap. 07GTS what combo did you have you are referring to? Motor, cam, turbo'd?

As far as the injector short pulse adder and min PW, I'm not sure. It's running FIC 52lbers. I'll have to look at the document s again.

Ok FIC says min PW 0.450, on the short pulse adder there are no values beyond 0.8 ms

Senior Tuner
    the camshaft i had was pretty close to yours in overlap mine was 57 deg total .006 specs so the eoit should be about the same all tho my IPW would prob be smaller as i had 1000cc inj, i always look at the wideband if i went too far i would notice it would show up spiky so then id go back a little till it stayed smooth, its also worth checking as at idle u do get some reversion back out the intake valve so if u inject into that its going to cause dramas so if u can find the sweet spot to get the fuel in as early as u can without going out the exhaust but before it it starts to push back out, i actually got one of those dyno sim programs so u can see the waveform/direction of the intake airflow/exhaust during the cycle and even tho its not spot on it gives u an idea of whats happening which ill be using it as an aid to dial in my new build once done see how it goes against reality, ok your injectors may have good control above those IPW as they arnt too big yet, as a start with the injector tip temp offset i divide my new injector size by the old injectors and adjust the table the same difference so if ur injectors are double the factory size i halve the tip temp offset values, that should get u closer as a start but still have to fine tune it after that

I reworked the injector timing 520-550 and ECT at 90. Looks good on the sheet. Injector temp was zeroed so I took data from a ctsv and multiplied by half. Gonna try that. Also copied transient stuff to start with. We'll see how it goes

Where'd you get the Dyno Sim sw that's cool. If you get bored you could plug my cam in there. Advertised 283/286 108 intake 116 exhaust 112 lsa, IVO 31 BTC, IVC 72 ABC, EVO 78 BBC, EVC 28 ATC. What kind of power did you get outta your similar build?

Quote Originally Posted by geneass View Post
    I reworked the injector timing 520-550 and ECT at 90. Looks good on the sheet. Injector temp was zeroed so I took data from a ctsv and multiplied by half. Gonna try that. Also copied transient stuff to start with. We'll see how it goes
    Was not zeros from the factory. Did you do that?
    2012 ZL1 - Maggie Heartbeat, Port & Polish Heads, Custom Cam, Custom rotating assembly, steel sleeved LS9, No NOS and No water meth. 16psi
    810rwhp and 820rwtq 91 Octane 6400 rpm
    948rwhp and 951rwtq 105 Octane 6400 rpm
    999rwhp and 997rwtq on 60% Ethanol 6400 rpm

Probably so. Log shows it pretty good till about 158 degrees so I copied ctsv from there up and divided by half. Haven't tried it yet. Stock looked like it was going to be to much?

Quote Originally Posted by geneass View Post
    Probably so. Log shows it pretty good till about 158 degrees so I copied ctsv from there up and divided by half. Haven't tried it yet. Stock looked like it was going to be to much?
    There is lots of BAD advice out here. Be careful when changing things from stock. They are always there for a reason. We just may not know the reason. When you do not know it always safer to be too rich than too lean.
    2012 ZL1 - Maggie Heartbeat, Port & Polish Heads, Custom Cam, Custom rotating assembly, steel sleeved LS9, No NOS and No water meth. 16psi

Roger that, may have done that at beginning. I just tried new settings everything's good up till about 111 inj temp after restart it's alittle lean.

Injector tip temp one of first things that should be fixed after changing injectors. I spent many hours arguing over IVT and other parms with many on this forum until HPT took my info and arguments and exposed the table. It cured the rich-after-flash issue. Of course then some ( i call them idiots ) posted videos and forum entries telling everyone to zero them out. Sadly, many believed these self-proclaimed experts. As humans we always want to ingnore that which we do not understand. In tuning that results in zeroing tables out/disabling.

Not directed at those that take the advice but rather those that give bad advice and profit from it. In many of the articles and videos over 50% is just plain factually false. They claim knowledge they do not have.

Glad to announce that after making some adjustments to the injector temp table warm startup is crisp. And actual afr follows the commanded warmup more closely. As close as you can get with this much lope. Ha! Cracking the throttle in park the tip in lean doesn't look so severe but tip out rich is there not as bad and not a huge deal, but ill work in it once I get on the highway

Oh yeah this is at 520-550 on boundary with ECT @ 90

Great too hear.

Thanks for the help, now on to transients during drive!

FYI, should be the last thing you do. It is affected by everything else.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by jsllc View Post
    In many of the articles and videos over 50% is just plain factually false. They claim knowledge they do not have.
    I second that. I watched a few videos from a popular youtube tuner guy out of curiosity, and in just the first couple of videos I watched, the number of things that were grossly incorrect in terms of what the ECM is doing, and why/how you should make certain changes were just plain wrong. My advice to anyone is to stick with Greg Banish's videos or the Tuning School, where you know the information should be correct from a technical standpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by RobZL1 View Post
    My advice to anyone is to stick with Greg Banish's videos
    Awwwww.... thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by eficalibrator View Post
    Awwwww.... thanks.
    Yep own them all. I do think the genIV needs a little rework. No injector tip temp in there ... LOL.