Thread: Knock Learn - Adjustments and how does it really work?

Knock Learn - Adjustments and how does it really work?

Hello, long time ago I used to have normal working Knock Learn, meaning it was acting how I thought it should.. meaning when I get lots of knock, it would increment towards 1.00 somewhat fast, kinda tapered back to 0.00 without knock, etc.

Nowadays, it doesn't really seem to be working like it used too, at all. Most I get is 0.12, in fact, I either get 0.06 or 0.12, no matter how much knock I seem to have. I've compared most things to my old tunes, but there's nothing different in that aspect. It doesnt seem to follow any real pattern either... when I get lots of knock, it's at 0.00, other times I get barely any knock, and there it is.. but only at either 0.06 or 0.12.

Here's a log with my knock sensitivity and multipliers turned way up to get more knock to test the Knock Learn. This is a log after about two weeks of driving with this tune, so any Knock Learn that was learned, is also being applied. Also along the way I made both the High And Low Octane tables the same.. and honestly it seemed to stop working correctly ever since, but I changed those tables (made the same) since I wanted to run a Knock Learn test by turning the knock sensitivity way up to watch Knock Learn increment towards 1.0, but, this is the point that it seemed to stop working. My plan was, to use the Knock Lean table as my indication that I have a knock problem... meaning, trigger a LED or Buzzer for anything above, say, 0.2 Knock Learn... but, Knock Learn has been unreliable since.

What do you think?

I have old logs that show it working much differently. Attached is a log of it barely working.

Thanks!

174 91F Out.hpl
    Last edited by 10_SS; 05-26-2020 at 05:28 PM.
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Can I see your tune?
    2012 ZL1 - Maggie Heartbeat, Port & Polish Heads, Custom Cam, Custom rotating assembly, steel sleeved LS9, No NOS and No water meth. 16psi
    810rwhp and 820rwtq 91 Octane 6400 rpm
    948rwhp and 951rwtq 105 Octane 6400 rpm
    999rwhp and 997rwtq on 60% Ethanol 6400 rpm

Quote Originally Posted by jsllc View Post
    Can I see your tune?
    sure, this is the knock sensitized version.
    Thanks

175 173 with knock sensitivity turned way up to show knock.hpt
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Take [ECM] 12796 *2. The PID you are logging is historical. It takes a while for it to move. If you had a tune in before with little to no knock then it takes some time for it to learn differently. They assume no tune changes when they built it.
    Last edited by jsllc; 05-27-2020 at 12:46 AM.
    2012 ZL1 - Maggie Heartbeat, Port & Polish Heads, Custom Cam, Custom rotating assembly, steel sleeved LS9, No NOS and No water meth. 16psi

Quote Originally Posted by jsllc View Post
    Take [ECM] 12796 *2. The PID you are logging is historical. It takes a while for it to move. If you had a tune in before with little to no knock then it takes some time for it to learn differently. They assume no tune changes when they built it.
    thanks I'll play with it. But the change was night and day, literally. I have logs that I did not include here that show Knock Learn very active, then after one seemingly unrealted change to the tune (made knock sensors more sensitive) the learn number basically stopped working and has been the way it is in the log (barely active) since.

I wonder if I changed ECU's, as I have two. I'll have to continue looking into this, but that was at least a year ago, Knock Learn takes awhile to update but not that long.
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

I would like to see the tune that you had working if you do not mind.