Thread: Struggling with VE Table

Tuner in Training

Struggling with VE Table

Evening.

I recently purchased the MPVI2 interface and have been playing with my cars tune starting with the MAF. I think I had that dialed in decently, and have been chasing my tail with the VE table. Every write up, video, and post I see tends to say log the AFR error with the column Axis as RPM, and Row Axis as MAP. Drive for some time and copy/paste the data (half %) into your table in the editor. Doing this clearly changes the values in the table, but upon the next iterations, I will see little to no change in the scanner, and often the change I do see is in the opposite direction.

I have the MAF failed at 0 Hz. I have Dynamic Air shut off with High RPM Disable set to 10,000 RPM. LTFT disabled in the dropdown, and the Min ECT set to 283*F. Closed Loop Enable, ECT vs IAT is set to 283 for all cells. DFCO Enable ECT is at 283*F.

Mods I've done to the car previously have been Cam (TSP Torquer 2 232/2343 .600/.600 112), PRC As-Cast 225 Heads, Fast 92, Long Tubes. Car was dyno tuned. I added a 9" and true duals between then and now, so wanted to try and wrap my head around tuning myself. Using an AEM 30-0300 through the pro link to log AFR.

I don't know if I just have the file set up wrong or if I should be chasing a hardware issue (vacuum leaks? Wide Band Placement?) Hopefully I'm just doing something stupid.

Attached is my last tune file and the data log that came from it.

Appreciate any help or advice.

Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Your vehicle does not use the primary VE when in speed density. It only uses the secondary table. This is why all your changes to the primary table are doing nothing.

1998-2000 computers have primary and secondary VE tables, it was removed in 2001+ calibrations.

If you wanted to, you can apply the speed density enhanced OS upgrade in the OS tab. It removes the secondary VE table and leaves only the primary table. Many do this because the secondary VE table has half the resolution of the primary table.

You have to apply the changes to the secondary VE, copy each row into the primary table that match, then interpolate and smooth the primary table once done. This why when the MAF/VE are working together again, the table matches what the secondary VE has.

Side note. Your MAF curve is a wreck still. Look at the 2D chart, there should not be any jagged lines. It must be smooth throughout. Same with the VE, it must be smooth just like the stock tables are. And the open loop EQ ratio must be set to 1.00 at operating temp. It can't be set leaner or richer than 1.00 as this will throw the fueling off when it goes back into closed loop. So anything above 130-140 degrees needs to be 1.00.
    Last edited by 5FDP; 05-26-2020 at 09:02 PM.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Senior Tuner
    It's best to change P0101, 102 and 103 to MIL on First Error.
    The primary VE table was pretty messy, but the secondary table looked good. You need to be changing the secondary table, then make the primary table match.
    The main timing table was very conservative as well. I made a few changes there as well.

Try this tune and see how it performs.

20200522_SDRESET_9KWMOD1.hpt

Tuner in Training
    Thank you, I just set up the enhanced OS.

I'll start messing with the MAF again. I stopped touching it since everything was reading within +/- 1.00. I'll try and smooth it out.

Your last note on open loop EQ ratio is in reference to the table here: FUEL>OPEN LOOP/BASE>EQ RATIO? Should be a table with ECT for column axis and MAP for row axis? I need to set all rows (20-100 kPa) to 1.00 after ~140*F?

Really appreciate your help!

Tuner in Training
    Thanks! I'll give it a try.