Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Timing Help!

Tuner in Training

Timing Help!

New to Dodge tuning. 5.7 Hemi with 78mm turbo. 3-bar OS. Truck is currently sitting on the hub dyno. The wastgate has the 3-5psi spring in it, so we are trying for baseline starter tunes.

As soon as we start a dyno pull, the ignition timing drops to 0-4 degrees. There is no knock registered, and all torque management, among other things, appear to be disabled in the tune.

Any ideas are appreciated. Stovall_5.7turbo_5-27-2020_001.hpt

Try adjusting Transient Tip-In Throttle Spark

Tuner in Training
    Log file attached.5-23_2.hpl

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by zhc View Post
    Try adjusting Transient Tip-In Throttle Spark
    How long does the tip-in retard last? The timing is staying about 17 degrees retarded from the main spark table for the entire dyno pull.

It's way too rich to start. I would try to go for .74-.78 lambda at wot.. for logging add more spark channels.. 1 degree is very low but i don't see how much it's retarding because it's not being logged.

I have to assume you put injectors and they weren't scaled properly. The fact that it is removing 27 % fuel tells me the nn is on and everything is a bit off ..

Start by removing the cat protection adders. that's one reason it's very rich. Maxing out all temp to 3002 and zeroing out the adders.

You should be able to pull 14.5* on 93 gas just fine. If you want a custom remote tune hmu.

I see the year now. Scratch what i said about the nn.. BUT you're commanding super rich idle if it's not E85 or a mix.. what gas are you running sir?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by luciddeath View Post
    You should be able to pull 14.5* on 93 gas just fine. If you want a custom remote tune hmu.
    Take a look at this log sir.

5-30-2020_pull003.hpl

Trying to get the timing to do what we tell it before we start fuel tuning.

Removed the turbo and did an N/A pull and everything worked as expected. It only happens with boost.

We are now running C-12 fuel.

The timing wont listen if your fuel is that rich. It will predetonate and cause fuel retard. You need to command 14.79 afr first.

Notice that the timing isn't dropping as significantly at the 13/12.5 range when you get into it.. command 14.79 afr and command about 12.0 at wot and it should do what you want.

Commanded eq at wot is just a little lean.. shoot for a .78 .. i would say first change stoich from 11.5 to 14.59

Set stoich at .0685 and set your pe at .0155 across.. should work much better. Might want a little more pe or less.

Advanced Tuner
    You need to start by scaling all your timing maps to match. That will make it easier to see which map it's following. There's one that matches your log.

PS - what's the trans tune look like?

Also you're going to want to scale your WOT table on the map side back more like stock.. maybe 150kpa max..

Right now its referencing from the base minimum table to pull timing. you can raise it but i would actually lower some areas. i wouldn't go over 8 max on the bottom for now. Dial everything else in first.

Senior Tuner
    Send me a message at Facebook.com/TBRTuning or email at [email protected]

Tuner in Training
    Also you're going to want to scale your WOT table on the map side back more like stock.. maybe 150kpa max..

Right now its referencing from the base minimum table to pull timing. you can raise it but i would actually lower some areas. i wouldn't go over 8 max on the bottom for now. Dial everything else in first.

O.K. Check this out . AFR looks a lot better. Timing still is retarded.

5-29-2020_pull004.hpl

5-30-2020_007.hpt

Tuner in Training

O.K

Scaled the timing Map to 150kPa and now to 105kPa with no improvement.

Check out the log and tune.

5-30-2020_011.hpt5-30-2020_pull008.hpl

I wouldn't disable your knock sensors.. they're there to help you

Try this. I only use latest betas.Attachment 99987

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by BB72CAMARO View Post
    O.K

Scaled the timing Map to 150kPa and now to 105kPa with no improvement.

Check out the log and tune.
    Which timing table did you scale to 150kPa?
    In that supplied tune (5-30-2020_011) the only timing tables that is scaled above 105kPa are the WOT thermal spark tables. This will not help you.
    You also need to add more spark advance PIDs into you datalog to work out where the low timing numbers are coming from.
    Last edited by HaasExp; 05-31-2020 at 11:23 PM.