Thread: DI/PI Warm Blend table to mitigate LSPI

Advanced Tuner

DI/PI Warm Blend table to mitigate LSPI

Has anyone tried adjusting DI/PI Warm Blend table in the lower RPMs to help mitigate LSPI?

Specifically, 1500 RPM to 2500 RPM ranges?

Increasing the DI percentage for added direct injected fuel.

Thanks!

I did on my 18' 5.0 and it helps but adds DI noise from the engine. Some people think it's pinging but it's actually just the DI system. Logs confirmed less knock correction and sometimes added correction. This is on 87 fuel.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mechanicboy View Post
    I did on my 18' 5.0 and it helps but adds DI noise from the engine. Some people think it's pinging but it's actually just the DI system. Logs confirmed less knock correction and sometimes added correction. This is on 87 fuel.
    Nice. What percentage did you add?

Quote Originally Posted by SVT_Z06 View Post
    Nice. What percentage did you add?
    .4 load and above is is 90% DI with a blending to 90% DI down to .3 load at 1500rpm and above. I'm still working on my blending so it's not final of where it will be.

Keep in mind that the 5.0 will see less load compared to a given acceleration request than a ecoboost. I looked a an 18 3.5 ecoboost and noticed that it blends towards PI in the higher load/rev range. The 5.0 does not do this.

Advanced Tuner
    I hope I am understanding correctly.

So, from .3 load, 1500 RPM and above, you're at 90% DI?
    From .4 load (all RPM's) you are at 90%?

Best way to find out is make an adjustment and log it

Yes but I ran into an issue. While the log doesn't show detonation, I can feel a jerk when pulling a hill at say 1300-1500rpm that wasn't there before. I did a lot of research and it turns out a big cause of LSPI is the oil mixing with the super fine fuel vapor the DI system allows but only at low engine speeds. I found out it's not only Ford, but most manufacturers are having this issue with DI turbo engines. So I changed my oil this morning to Pennzoil Platinum that has the latest oil specs(GS6a, Motorcraft is still GF-5) that exceed ford new requirements for oil and is specifically made this was to reduce LSPI. I will report back my findings afted a few days to let you know if anything changes.

I also plan to add a catch can as that smoothed out the idle on my 12' that I put one on.

https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/educa...lsac-gf-6.html

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mechanicboy View Post
    Yes but I ran into an issue. While the log doesn't show detonation, I can feel a jerk when pulling a hill at say 1300-1500rpm that wasn't there before. I did a lot of research and it turns out a big cause of LSPI is the oil mixing with the super fine fuel vapor the DI system allows but only at low engine speeds. I found out it's not only Ford, but most manufacturers are having this issue with DI turbo engines. So I changed my oil this morning to Pennzoil Platinum that has the latest oil specs(GS6a, Motorcraft is still GF-5) that exceed ford new requirements for oil and is specifically made this was to reduce LSPI. I will report back my findings afted a few days to let you know if anything changes.

I also plan to add a catch can as that smoothed out the idle on my 12' that I put one on.

https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/educa...lsac-gf-6.html
    Yes, SN+ rated oils are made specifically to help combat LSPI.

I have Driven racing oil in my truck.

A little update.

Changing the oil and adding the catch can seems to have eliminated the problem on my normal drive, light hills at highway speed.

However, I feel what is hard to tell is a miss or LSPI when I was driving on a 400 mile round trip vacation this week/weekend going through the mountains with a lot of heavy load situations. If I downshifted enough to keep rpms above 2500rpm the problem seemed to go away. I have almost 39k miles and have never pulled my plugs so I will be doing that this week to eliminate, or confirm that they could be an issue.

Advanced Tuner
    I had to increase mine to 95% for it to go away. Try it

So on the 18+ 5.0's they are having some that are consuming oil pretty badly. There is a TSB to address this, however I have been seeing more and more that have some actual spark knock you can hear during low RPM throttle, say around 1/4 to 1/2 throttle at 3k and below give/take. There is also a TSB for a PCM update for that.....however on some it does not seem to help the spark knock situation.

Interestingly enough, the ones that burn oil, have extreme oil coking on the piston crowns from all the oil burning going on. I'm almost wondering if these particular ones that had consumed a bit of oil before the TSB/PCM reflash was done for the oil consumption, have a lot of deposits on the crowns causing hot spots and some pre-ignition. I have some pretty good scope pics of the ones that have been burning oil, and it's crazy how caked up the crowns are with deposits.

Still working on getting one apart now that has some LSPI going on, and consuming 2qt/6k miles at 30k miles on the ODO, with the oil consumption TSB already performed to no avail.

I think these two issues are related myself.
    '17 Whipple'd S550
    Too many other projects to list.....see my YouTube channel for more: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr7...-XfDG53sCh6tcw

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 96gt4.6 View Post
    So on the 18+ 5.0's they are having some that are consuming oil pretty badly. There is a TSB to address this, however I have been seeing more and more that have some actual spark knock you can hear during low RPM throttle, say around 1/4 to 1/2 throttle at 3k and below give/take. There is also a TSB for a PCM update for that.....however on some it does not seem to help the spark knock situation.

Interestingly enough, the ones that burn oil, have extreme oil coking on the piston crowns from all the oil burning going on. I'm almost wondering if these particular ones that had consumed a bit of oil before the TSB/PCM reflash was done for the oil consumption, have a lot of deposits on the crowns causing hot spots and some pre-ignition. I have some pretty good scope pics of the ones that have been burning oil, and it's crazy how caked up the crowns are with deposits.

Still working on getting one apart now that has some LSPI going on, and consuming 2qt/6k miles at 30k miles on the ODO, with the oil consumption TSB already performed to no avail.

Try increasing the DI as I mentioned above to 95%. Seemed to have worked.

Quote Originally Posted by SVT_Z06 View Post
    I had to increase mine to 95% for it to go away. Try it
    I'll give this a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by 96gt4.6 View Post

This could be my case. I just checked my spark plugs this morning and wish I had read this before so I could have looked down a few cylinders. It's also funny that you said this as I've been thinking about how long it's been since I ran some e85 through my engine, which is a great cleaner or carbon in my experience. Maybe I'll give this, and 95% DI(gasoline) a try.

It may be worth noting what I found on my spark plugs. 6 of the 8 looked pretty much identical. 2 of them had abnormally clean, yet grey/tan, insulators. I did note slightly more deposits, almost a dusting, of carbon on most plugs. I attributed it to me having run 87 for 4-5 months during the winter. They were all around .053-.055 gap, so i gapped them to .049. They seemed to have more wear on them than I'd expect for a plug that's supposed to last 100k miles. I'll be changing them at 50k(currently 39k) miles or the next time I pull them, whichever happens first. What I will likely do is run a couple tanks of e85 through, then check a couple again and have a new set ready to go in should I choose to change them at that time.

SVT, sorry to derail your thread a bit. Maybe one thing to take away from this is we should consider looking at our piston crowns.