Thread: New to the HP tuner , would like to tune a stock 2001 5.3 tahoe with cold air intake.

Potential Tuner

Post New to the HP tuner , would like to tune a stock 2001 5.3 tahoe with cold air intake.

Hello Everyone,

I have just purchased a HP mpvi2 tuner, mainly because I am removing the clutch fan and installing dual electric fans and running them off of the pcm, also to adjust my tire size to correct the speedometer.

I am new to the interface, as my last tuner had basic options for performance levels.

My 2001 tahoe is a stock 5.3, 285/75/16 tires, 3.42 ratio rear end, and I have a cold air intake.

I would like to tune it to run as good as it can being stock..

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I have figured out how to activate the fans and change tire size and have currently changed the tire size.

Advanced Tuner
    Did you get the Pro version with prolink for MPVI2? I would recomend one of the powerful features in the HP Tuners software and that is the VCM Editor>Edit tab, navigation. If you want to find something someone suggests start there and it gives the "tree" to the item. When making changes the ECM # is listed at the bottom and making a note of that can speed up if you write down a table you change for future reference you can put that number in the navigator and go straight to it.
    Disclaimer. Modify ECU for performance at your own risk.
    To start: download the stock tune and copy it. Never use the very first original, even to compare just keep it safe. After those precautions, to get instant fun factor from a stock motor and trans, take the Transmission>Shift pressures>Up shift copy the Performance table and paste into Normal, do the same with Shift Timing Performance copy/ paste to normal. It is safe, its already there stock. In 12760 make whole table 8 or maxed out and 12761 rpm table to 0.
    Spark>Retard> Burst Knock Retard is a predictive not actual knock. The factory knock strategy is still going to be used.
    12840 Torque management>General>Spark retard Vs torque reduction multiply by 0.5 or 0.30 or remove it. Having a stock older trans with unknown reliability I would not suggest zero this out but that's up to you and the health of tranny. By removing all of it you will not have torque reduction during gear changes which is desirable but can be hard on worn transmissions - drive-train. Fuel> Power Enrichment (PE) >Throttle begin with 60% across the table and for a heavy truck that's good for keeping fuel mileage but when you go above 60% wahoo! You need to change the PE Delays to 0. In the EQ Ratio Gas table make from 1600rpm on = 1.170 and the PE> enrichment ramp in rate 1.0.
    You will have an instant change in the way it drives. Have fun and stay tuned.
    Last edited by Hondaeater; 05-28-2020 at 04:02 PM. Reason: added info

Potential Tuner
    I bought the MPVI2 without the pro stuff. I do have the vcm editor.

You don't need the PRO feature. It just makes widebands easier and hooking up other stuff easier.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    I did what you said, and set the throttle settings at 60% and I noticed a difference. Much better! Thanks for that!

This tahoe has 229,336 miles on it. I've looked at and changed the transmission filter on it not too long ago, didn't really see any metal shavings at all and the old filter didn't look too dirty. I've done valve cover gaskets, oil pickup o-ring, oil pan gasket, synthetic 5w-30, changed spark plugs, transmission filter and pan gasket, and i've added a transmission cooler with an electric fan. So far the engine and transmission hasn't given me any trouble since i've had it. Its mainly been the suspension, I've replaced all of the suspension and steering components, literally.

It just feels kind of sluggish, at least before I just ran that tune. It livened it up a bit. And I'm actually quite satisfied with it just like that.

I'm not really looking to go too far with it right at the moment, At the beginning of the year, I'm looking at pulling a 6.0 and 4l80e out of a 2500 silverado to rebuild and put in the tahoe and then I will be looking to see what all its capable of.

Advanced Tuner
    Glad to hear that. Try graduating the TPS% from 60% at 3000 or so to require less TPS in upper rpm range. Let's face it if you are at 4000 having PE at 25% TPS will make those passing and lane changes better without having to be so hard on throttle. Find your comfort zone. Most tuning is really subjective and now you can make it YOUR truck. Adding some mph to the shift schedule will make for a better driving experience but the area to focus is on the under 50% TPS. Just remember to add to the up and downshift tables. Downshift cannot be higher than upshift. The TCC converter will need adjusting too if you change shift mph speeds. Run some octane booster (O2 safe stuff) or a few tanks of 93 octane if you can get it and in the mid to upper rpm you will notice a difference. Look at the Advance tables for High octane and low and you can tell the timing has way more advance in upper range.

Scanner requires the channel side to be populated and then you can make charts and graphs but they must be in channels ok but do not log evry channel! The software doesn't have the bandwidth for that keep it at 25 or less. I advise to log the LTFT both banks and STFT both banks, MAF in freq, cylinder airflow, throttle position, torque, afr, Knock retard, Knock Learn too, rpm, vehicle speed, Base advance, timing advance, I like to add current gear, B1S1,B2s1 O2 in mv, Then gather info on the MAF calibration procedure. The cold air intake will require calibrating the fuel delivery. If you want more help just post here. Try to get a feel for the software and watch videos on making custom graphs and how to use the histograms. When it comes time for your conversion it will be easier.
    Enjoy the ride.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Barker View Post
    I did what you said, and set the throttle settings at 60% and I noticed a difference. Much better! Thanks for that!

This tahoe has 229,336 miles on it. I've looked at and changed the transmission filter on it not too long ago, didn't really see any metal shavings at all and the old filter didn't look too dirty. I've done valve cover gaskets, oil pickup o-ring, oil pan gasket, synthetic 5w-30, changed spark plugs, transmission filter and pan gasket, and i've added a transmission cooler with an electric fan. So far the engine and transmission hasn't given me any trouble since i've had it. Its mainly been the suspension, I've replaced all of the suspension and steering components, literally.

It just feels kind of sluggish, at least before I just ran that tune. It livened it up a bit. And I'm actually quite satisfied with it just like that.

I'm not really looking to go too far with it right at the moment, At the beginning of the year, I'm looking at pulling a 6.0 and 4l80e out of a 2500 silverado to rebuild and put in the tahoe and then I will be looking to see what all its capable of.
    Sounds like your pretty good at repairs. Did you replace the sway bar bushings with the Energy Suspension sway bar link kit about $35 worth every bit of it. Get a set of MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor plug wires and get about 50-75 miles per tank more. Measure your existing plug wires (new or old) with a DVOM and see the resistance. MSD wires are 50-75ohms. They pay for themselves and idk maybe a placebo effect but I swear I feel the difference on the butt dyno.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondaeater View Post
    Did you get the Pro version with prolink for MPVI2? I would recomend one of the powerful features in the HP Tuners software and that is the VCM Editor>Edit tab, navigation. If you want to find something someone suggests start there and it gives the "tree" to the item. When making changes the ECM # is listed at the bottom and making a note of that can speed up if you write down a table you change for future reference you can put that number in the navigator and go straight to it.
    Disclaimer. Modify ECU for performance at your own risk.
    To start: download the stock tune and copy it. Never use the very first original, even to compare just keep it safe. After those precautions, to get instant fun factor from a stock motor and trans, take the Transmission>Shift pressures>Up shift copy the Performance table and paste into Normal, do the same with Shift Timing Performance copy/ paste to normal. It is safe, its already there stock. In 12760 make whole table 8 or maxed out and 12761 rpm table to 0.
    Spark>Retard> Burst Knock Retard is a predictive not actual knock. The factory knock strategy is still going to be used.
    12840 Torque management>General>Spark retard Vs torque reduction multiply by 0.5 or 0.30 or remove it. Having a stock older trans with unknown reliability I would not suggest zero this out but that's up to you and the health of tranny. By removing all of it you will not have torque reduction during gear changes which is desirable but can be hard on worn transmissions - drive-train. Fuel> Power Enrichment (PE) >Throttle begin with 60% across the table and for a heavy truck that's good for keeping fuel mileage but when you go above 60% wahoo! You need to change the PE Delays to 0. In the EQ Ratio Gas table make from 1600rpm on = 1.170 and the PE> enrichment ramp in rate 1.0.
    You will have an instant change in the way it drives. Have fun and stay tuned.
    I am also pretty fresh in the tuning world, I don't understand what you are referring too by "12760 and 12761" in the transmission tab? and by shift timing are you referring too shift scheduling? what do these 5 digit numbers mean? thanks for ant info.

Those numbers are actually the parameter ID. Every setting in the tune file has an ID number. Go to Edit > Navigator (or CTRL+N) and type in 12760.

Hover over an item and the infobox at the bottom will show the ID. "[ECM] 12760 - Burst Knock Enable Delta Cyl Air Threshold vs RPM"

Saying "look at 12760..." is easier than "look at Engine > Spark > Retard > Burst Knock Retard > Enable Delta Cyl Air..."