Thread: 2014 srt 300 comp cams 274

Potential Tuner

2014 srt 300 comp cams 274

Alright well, where to start, I have a 2014 srt 300 and I am having idle issues in gear after driving the vehicle around, hunts for rpm and stalls out when stopped in drive or when switching to reverse or neutral, I've looked around for a thread with a similar build and no luck I just want a base tune so I can break the engine in not to thrash on it, the total build list is a follows
    Comp cams 274
    Phaser limiter
    Manley springs and push rods
    Manley forged pistons +1.75cc
    And forged internals,

So far from the factory tune I've got it to idle on start up and will idle all day long I am wondering if any of you gents have encountered a similar issue
    Also I am a green noob tuner

If you have any input it would be greatly appreciated cheers

*update*
    I got her running pretty good now I adjusted my fling and my rpm tables, I based my tables off another vehicle that has has similar modifications but I am still finding that the idle is a bit high and after adjusting it doesn't seem to go down, I want to make the car lump at idle a little bit more also will attach the tuning file now

thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by 1black300; 05-30-2020 at 02:36 PM.

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    post your tune for any help
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

You should really turn off the mds system.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by luciddeath View Post
    You should really turn off the mds system.
    yes thanks for the input, just turned her off seems to improve the overall performance and all that, also I have shut off the neutral network that definitely helped out a bunch,

Tuner in Training
    Can you post your current tune? You've got lots of room to grow from the tune that's currently posted.
    Last edited by Mag0842; 05-31-2020 at 06:36 PM.

check PM

as mentioned your need to disable ANN and rework the whole tune to get it running right
    Last edited by SultanHassanMasTuning; 06-01-2020 at 04:18 AM.

Potential Tuner
    Yes I will post the current tune, as she is currently running and drive able, I need to pull some fuel out of her in the lower end of cruising as it does retard the timing from slight knock bit it still drives great

Tuner in Training
    I read the above thread with interest as I just installed a new cam in my 300 (after it ate the lifter on #8 cylinder).
    I know I need to turn off the MDS, but honestly I was just going to leave it alone at that, but based on the above it sounds like I have to (should) consider more to get the best performance?
    I bought the Modern Muscle cam kit and installed a phase limiter, but have yet to fire it up.
    Modern Muscle will do a remote tune to the vehicle for $350, but I said pass as I thought I could handle it.
    I'm new to the site, and the programmer. Any tips for the new guy?

Quote Originally Posted by Viperdude1 View Post
    I read the above thread with interest as I just installed a new cam in my 300 (after it ate the lifter on #8 cylinder).
    I know I need to turn off the MDS, but honestly I was just going to leave it alone at that, but based on the above it sounds like I have to (should) consider more to get the best performance?
    I bought the Modern Muscle cam kit and installed a phase limiter, but have yet to fire it up.
    Modern Muscle will do a remote tune to the vehicle for $350, but I said pass as I thought I could handle it.
    I'm new to the site, and the programmer. Any tips for the new guy?
    these pcms are a pain to start learning and not something to just jump in and start tuning.

PM if you need help

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by SultanHassanMasTuning View Post
    these pcms are a pain to start learning and not something to just jump in and start tuning.

PM if you need help
    Thanks for the advise. I'm not sure if it's even worth any tuning, that's my point. Maybe just turn off the MDS and call it a day (that's pretty simple!).
    That's what I'm interested in getting some feedback from users on, does anyone have knowledge of known improvements over the stock tune.

Tuner in Training
    You changed an integral part of the motor that controls airflow. Many tables need adjustment (VE, spark, idle & airflow, VVT for cam position to name a few). I would strongly suggest getting together with someone on this board that can help you or a local tune shop. Running a stock tune with a new profile cam (especially a 274) defeats the purpose of the cam. You'll also run the risk of running it lean which won't end well. Not saying you can't tune this yourself but it will take hours and hours of research, learning and much trial and error (logging). If you enjoy it and its your second vehicle - go ahead and dive into the deep end.

I started just a few months ago, took the Tuning School class and spent HOURS reading. Although I have been successful with my tuning and was able to tweak things here and there I'm still working with a local tune shop that can do the heavy lifting. You also need a dyno to confirm spark/cam changes. Its not just getting it to run, idle and drive down the road. Point is to make dependable power.
    2019 Ram 1500, 6.4 BGE Block, 426/7.0 Manley Forged Kit, Harrop/Eaton 2650 SC, CAI, ThiTek CNC Heads, Studs, Comp Cam 230/244 .608/.597 118+6, MDS Delete, ID1050 Injectors, 100mm BBK TB, ARH Long Tube, Corsa Exhaust

Tuner in Training
    Fair enough! Thanks for the response.
    I must confess, I'm just riding on the coattails of this thread as that was easy (maybe I should have started a new thread, maybe I should now). I did not install a "274" cam, I installed a Cam from Modern Muscle. Their part number 201-000-13/Grind MM-NSR-STG-3NA made for them by Comp Cams. It's as close to stock as you can get and does not require new springs. The Cam card shows it as 268/285 duration .595/.557 lift (on the intake/exhaust respectively). It was supposed to be on a 109 centerline but installed measured 111.5. ( I measured the valve clearances, but nominal, and fully advanced, and all good).
    Otherwise, the vehicle is fully stock. No modifications whatsoever.
    I know the VVT must be limited. I know the MDS needs turned off.
    So, with regard to the other concerns (running lean for example), this is something I would be willing to tinker with. This is not my primary ride; its way down the food chain.
    I'll get feedback on the mixture/burn from a quick drive right?
    What I'm hoping is that someone out there has been through this, and perhaps even used the same Cam? Is it possible to think they could show me their fuel mixture map?
    I know it's going to be a long road, but my engineer blood (who has build several race motors - albeit pre-ECM), needs to know!
    I don't plan on taking it out for a major flogging until I'm very comfortable.
    I do know the car ran 12.9's this year (in stock trim - on pilot super sports - which is amazing to me), so it will be fun to see what happens this summer.
    Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Viperdude1 View Post
    Fair enough! Thanks for the response.
    I must confess, I'm just riding on the coattails of this thread as that was easy (maybe I should have started a new thread, maybe I should now). I did not install a "274" cam, I installed a Cam from Modern Muscle. Their part number 201-000-13/Grind MM-NSR-STG-3NA made for them by Comp Cams. It's as close to stock as you can get and does not require new springs. The Cam card shows it as 268/285 duration .595/.557 lift (on the intake/exhaust respectively). It was supposed to be on a 109 centerline but installed measured 111.5. ( I measured the valve clearances, but nominal, and fully advanced, and all good).
    Otherwise, the vehicle is fully stock. No modifications whatsoever.
    I know the VVT must be limited. I know the MDS needs turned off.
    So, with regard to the other concerns (running lean for example), this is something I would be willing to tinker with. This is not my primary ride; its way down the food chain.
    I'll get feedback on the mixture/burn from a quick drive right?
    What I'm hoping is that someone out there has been through this, and perhaps even used the same Cam? Is it possible to think they could show me their fuel mixture map?
    I know it's going to be a long road, but my engineer blood (who has build several race motors - albeit pre-ECM), needs to know!
    I don't plan on taking it out for a major flogging until I'm very comfortable.
    I do know the car ran 12.9's this year (in stock trim - on pilot super sports - which is amazing to me), so it will be fun to see what happens this summer.
    Thanks again!
    That cam is close enough to stock to run as is(with the MDS turned off) ......but you will have some cold idling issues, it'll surge a bit in this lovely SE PA weather we are having..

your best bet , is to get the tune from them(MM) and use it as a base tune to learn from, once you get an understanding of it and play with it a bit, one night it'll click.....or hit up SultanHassanMasTuning for some help.
    04 GTX........ 8.91@151mph 392Ci G3Hemi NA 3600lbs 2.6HP/CI Naturally Aspirated
    05 GTxtreme 9:45@142mph 426Ci G3Hemi NA 4000lbs
    G3 Hemi Videos

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClS...5mXdDR5sOxs10Q

Tuner in Training
    Any updates on your tune... Im using yours as a bases for my tune atleast as a start. I installed a cam and lifters as well. Just a small cam upgrade though. (Comp Cam Stage 1).

Tuner in Training
    Hey Fellow 300 owner,
    I just got mine back together. It won't idle. I assume the system cant calibrate out and accommodate the CAM change, and gives up?
    But I looked at your tune, and I have a million questions. For one, why did you turn off (disable) the cam phaser?
    I also note that everyone seems to fill the calibration table with "100"? What is the purpose of the calibration?