Thread: 2014 Ram 5.7L Cam, L/T headers, CAI, MDS delete, first time tuner, wanting to learn.

Potential Tuner

2014 Ram 5.7L Cam, L/T headers, CAI, MDS delete, first time tuner, wanting to learn.

Hi completely new to HP tuners, looking for some help learning and tuning my truck. Been a dealer diesel tech for 24 years.
    Replaced the Stock Cam with custom Comp cam & Phaser limiter, hellcat lifters, AFE L/T Headers W/ Cat's, AFE CAI, Polished heads, new stock valve springs and custom pushrods, MDS plugs, replaced mechanical drive fan with electric fan and installed 180 degree t/stat.
    Engine starts and idles well, will stall when comes up to temperature.
    Have done some reading (please correct me if I am wrong) need to change Cam timing values and VE table values, delete MDS and set new cooling fan temperature values to start.
    Cam specs @104 degree centre line
    Duration @.050" INT 210 EXT 222
    LSA 112 degrees
    Valve timing @ .050"
    Open INT 1 BTDC EXH 51 BBTC
    Close INT 29 ABDC EXH 9- ATDC
    Does anyone have a tune for a similar set up that I can compare with and emulate to start off?
    Once idle is corrected, is there a recommended progression for the tune? it sounds like many things in life, in that there is more than one way to skin a Cat.
    Are there any manuals or reference material that someone can recommend to have a better understanding of the tunable parameters and how they correlate?
    Any help is appreciated, attached is my stock tune.
    Thanks in advance.
    Rob
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    Here are some links that I found helpful. Check out the VVT links as there is a lot of good info on how to set-up.
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthread.php?71020-New-to-dodge-tuning-and-trying-to-find-out-the-basic-steps&p=525502&viewfull=1#post525502

Well if it idles correctly when it’s cold then dies that means you have to bump up the idle speed and keep it higher than stock after that you should take some timing out of the part throttle in the idle position
    Then turn off neural networks and tune the VE

I actually just installed:
    HEMI VVT cam grind
    .591Int - .581Exh lift w/1.65rr
    @50 214 - 224
    MDS Delete Kit

If you'd like to look up my cam it's the MMP-214-224HPT+ from MMX

And I ended up getting a dyno tune on my '14 Ram. I can send it to you it'll have the (from stock read to the dyno tune) maybe it'll give you a head start? I'm new as well and have been learning all that I can but I'm still green. My truck is 4dr 4x4, 3.92 gears, 8 speed, with a CAI, upgraded lifters & springs, I had heads cleaned up a bit & 3rd angle valve job, 180 t Stat (which I haven't made the adjustment yet in it for the fan to kick on at lower temp), clutch fan delete, I did install cam phase limiter as well. Let me know.
    Last edited by 14HemiRam; 06-03-2020 at 08:24 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Homer

Lots of great info thanks!

Potential Tuner
    14HemiRam,

That would be great, I think having the comparison will help!
    How do you like the cam change?
    How does your truck run now?
    Where do you notice the power change the most and would you change anything if you had to do it over again?
    Who did the dyno tune?
    Sorry for all the questions, I contemplated going with a bigger cam but didn't want to sacrifice the bottom end torque or drivability.

Tuner in Training
    Hi,
    I know an older thread but that looks like an MMX NSR cam. I have the exact same cam installed, also with LT headers. Did you have success with the tune in the end? Particularly interested in what you did for the first starts and VE table (*assuming you not using NN?)

Bumping this out of curiosity how is this cam working for you now ?
    04 GTX........ 8.91@151mph 392Ci G3Hemi NA 3600lbs 2.6HP/CI Naturally Aspirated
    05 GTxtreme 9:45@142mph 426Ci G3Hemi NA 4000lbs
    G3 Hemi Videos

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClS...5mXdDR5sOxs10Q

Tuner in Training
    Comp Cam 210/222, .587/.584,LSA 111.5
    MDS delete
    comp Limiter
    87 MM TB
    6.4 Intake
    6.4 Inj
    FBO's
    3000 Stall/545RFE
    JBA LT /catless
    eFan conversion

This is a nice daily driver street tune. Adjust according to your particular vehicle.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I?m just getting started as well I just done pretty much the exact same cam headers and exhaust upgrade you done on my 2020 ram.
    Last edited by Mad Man Mechanics; 12-14-2022 at 08:06 PM.