Thread: Segment Swap - Got to figure out a workaround

Potential Tuner

Post Segment Swap - Got to figure out a workaround

I'll preface by saying I'm new to tuning, but I've learned alot in a short amount of time. Definitely hasn't been a controlled ramp up in difficulty. Got dumped into expert mode from the jump.

Background - I have a 2002 Camaro using the stock P01 computer, LS3 swap, rear-mount turbo, drive by cable, no MAF speed density. Doing a 4L60e to 4L80e swap. Found I have a custom OS from EFI Live. Can't segment swap. Load on new OS 12212156. Segment swap, do a compare, load on all the new settings. Hit a snag.

Basically I'm clicking through each menu and checking all the setting actually transferred over. (I'm paranoid and it's an opportunity to familiarize myself with the software) I'm suddenly realizing that I do have some menus/features in custom OS 2020003 that don't exist in the new stock OS 12212156. I've found the two differences that may ruin my day. PS- I did apply the 2 bar speed density enhancement.

1. Under Engine => Airflow => Speed Density. I have this tab in my custom OS; doesn't exist in 2156. I have a corrections with a 'VE IAT Factor"

HPT.PNG

I don't think this will affect me as my IAT's stay very low and I only drive in summer. I don't think this really comes into play, but if anyone can comment how I can add it please let me know.

2. Under Engine => Spark => Advance. In Base Corrections I have a table for boost in my Custom OS; doesn't exist in 2156.

HPT2.PNG

It's a pritty slick table in that it pulls timing as boost comes up regardless of where you are in the main spark table (airmass vs. rpm). Here I think I'm screwed. If I pull timing across the board I think I'll shoot myself in the foot in terms of drive-ability, but I feel I have to unless I want to grenade the engine. In my brief search I saw a post about using the Fuel Base table or "AFR Spark Advance Correction - Add" table to add negative timing when you go rich. When you go into power enrichment and my AFR goes to 10.5-11 (ie prob in boost or turbo is winding up) you can add negative timing in an area to pull timing since you should be in boost in those areas. Am I on the right track or is their an easier way? Not really sure how I really fill out the table other than guessing based on RPM.

If anyone could add some wisdom it'd be greatly appreciated. This appears to be the last hurdle to get this car up and running after 12 months sitting idle.

"2002 Camaro 2.16.20.hpt" is the tune with my custom OS

"Stock OS with custom calibration VIN 2 bar edits done except boost timing.hpt" is everything changed except the my two issues. I screwed up in that I should have segment swapped before applying the 2-bar SD enhancement, so it is still setup to run a 4l60e.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Use the fuel base correction table if you want it to pull timing out at a certain commanded fueling value. The top axis is what your EQ ratio is.

It's easier to just setup your timing tables how you want them and have the spark correction table at zero, that's how I would probably do it.

Lower the high octane spark table way down to like 14-15 degrees above .76 cylinder airmass. Re-create the slope downwards so it's not a drop off.

Once the high octane table is done sorta like this, copy that table and paste it into the low octane table, then you need to minus like 5 degrees from the entire low octane table. The low octane table must be lower than the octane table so that if there is a knock event that it can pull timing away and it can use the knock learn factor to help pick the timing between the two tables until the KLF returns to normal.

Your Power Enrichment and boost enrichment need to be setup differently. The way it is now will not work good, it will be in and out of PE way too often.

Change the PE enable to 90kpa instead of 15kpa. Change the PE EQ Ratio to a lower value because you don't need to whack the engine with a ton of fuel when it's not in boost yet and when you do get into boost you don't need a commanded AFR of 11.46 at 1-4psi, that's way too much for such little boost and this is where the BE table can be used.

Try doing 1.180 for PE. Then in the BE eq ratio you start the 100kpa cell at 1.180. Then click the 135kpa cell and put 1.280 from there to end. Highlight from 100-135kpa and click interpolate, now you have a slope to the fueling that gets richer as more boost is added.

PS: The segment swap may not have took on the file?? It still says 4L60e in the transmission drop down, unless that got changed back??
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 5FDP; 06-01-2020 at 09:51 PM.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.