Thread: Confused by Fuel Trims

Tuner

Confused by Fuel Trims

I've been trying to adjust my fuel tables (Fuel Mass vs Inj PW and Inj PW vs Fuel Mass) by means of data-logging while driving around (not using a dyno)

I will do start ups, easy driving, more aggressive driving in stages to dial in my fuel tables....

Just when I think I have my fuel tables dialed in based on the data-logging and the applicable adjustments to the fuel tables, I will go for one last drive to verify all the changes are still showing good LT and ST fuel trims and then all of a sudden ALL of the logged data will show that every cell in the fueling tables is way to lean or rich (30%) and I will have to start over again.

Each time I adjust the fuel tables I reset the adaptives, but there will be that odd time where the data log shows required fuel adjustments of 30% in every cell of the table.

What am I not seeing? It's like there is a hidden LTFT that just decides to reset itself to zero and screw everything up.

any help would be appreciated.

2012 Challenger, 392 based 426 with 2.9 Whipple, 6.2 cam, 80# injectors
    Last edited by rich s; 06-02-2020 at 05:48 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Do you have a datalog and corresponding tune of the issue?
    Are you logging other parameters that could effect the fueling such as ECT, IAT, MAT, PE etc?

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by HaasExp View Post
    Do you have a datalog and corresponding tune of the issue?
    Are you logging other parameters that could effect the fueling such as ECT, IAT, MAT, PE etc?
    unfortunately no. I will make an effort to save the log with a name I can identify.

Tuner
    and just to clarify..... it's not like i'm making adjustments then driving the car two days later and this occurs.... I'm logging, I pull into a parking lot, make the revisions, upload them to the car, drive some more within minutes of making the changes and boom.... 30% correction required....

Potential Tuner
    better people to answer than I, but log IAT and make sure it's not getting heat soaked while setting in parking lot between tuning runs...
    2009 H2 6.2L Gen4 L9H w/ 6L80e AWD TSP VVT1, CNC Ported Heads

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by rich s View Post
    unfortunately no. I will make an effort to save the log with a name I can identify.
    Please also post the tune file.

Advanced Tuner
    Try an extra key on, key off, wait 10secs then fire it up after completing flashing the update.
    I have had this same thing happen at times...its like something messes up during flash procedure...strange but an extra key cycle usually sorts it.
    Worth a try.