Thread: stage 2 cam tuning help

Potential Tuner

Exclamation stage 2 cam tuning help

I have a 2012 suburban lc9 5.3, added btr stage 2 cam kit with dod/vvt delete. Kit came with ls7 lifters, beehive springs, stage 2 cam, 3 bolt sprocket. I also replaced the timing chain and oil pump.

So far the stock tune sounded better at idle but once warmed up and idled down/less fuel it wouldn't stay running to well.

Now ive disabled dod/afm and vvt as well as the mil codes.

This is my first tune and cam swap. It ive increased idle air flow and it idles smoother. Im still learning so im afraid to mess with spark advance and fuel.

Im wanting a smooth idle but also the sound, as well as improved mpg. I don't expect anything spectacular but right now im probably getting 8-10mpg according to the dash.

Ill upload my tune file here, Ill also upload a log file from vcm scanner shortly, any help would be greatly appreciated.

2012 suburban stock tune2.hpt

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    2012 suburban stock tune2 minor changes.hpt

this should help

but get us a log
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Potential Tuner

log files

Quote Originally Posted by SultanHassanMasTuning View Post
    2012 suburban stock tune2 minor changes.hpt

this should help

but get us a log
    heres logs i just now took
    i really appreciate your help
    cold start.hpltrip no ac.hplac on, stalls twice.hplfinal trip home no ac.hpl

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by SultanHassanMasTuning View Post
    Here is the log after that tune.
    It seems like it down shifts really hard when stopping, thats probably just due to a high idle rpm?
    Pretty slow when taking off around 2-3k rpms, but does great taking off at higher rpm. Stumbled into 5th gear for some reason when I was lightly hitting the gas.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Potential Tuner
    also the mpg went up to 12-22 according to the dash, it stayed around 14.5 for the most part. which is much better than it was.

maybe i missed it, is there a WB hooked up I would like to see your afr vs commanded

Potential Tuner
    no wb all sensors are stock. Heres a log and the latest tune im working with, Im currently trying to fix the down shifting issue. It down shifts hard when stopping and then the engine revs when coming to a complete stop thrusting the vehicle forward if the brake isn't mashed. Also since that log Ive installed a flow master 44 cat back exhaust system, Im not sure if having the idle around 700 is causing the down shifting issue or if its caused by torque converter lock, or if it needs the mph changed from downshifting 3-2 and 2-1, im new here so when I go inside and look at those settings Im not sure if adding torue will cause it to release sooner or engage sooner. Ive already spent 200 on the tune and 450 for the credits and tuner, so now im kinda lost.

Potential Tuner
    I lowered the idle and did a trans adapt relearn, now down shifting hard when stopping is almost completely fixed

idle lower 2 latest.hpl

lowered idle tune 2.hpt

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by a2amos View Post
    Here is the log after that tune.
    It seems like it down shifts really hard when stopping, thats probably just due to a high idle rpm?
    Pretty slow when taking off around 2-3k rpms, but does great taking off at higher rpm. Stumbled into 5th gear for some reason when I was lightly hitting the gas.
    you need to adjust downshift speeds.its a big truck. downshit speed tables will play big roll in makeing the truck kick in the right gear at the right rpm every time you floor it when rolling at anyspeed (i know. i have a yukon). Use Bluecat trans tool it will get you 90% where is your shift points suppose to be then you fine tune them afterwords.

Potential Tuner

walk thru, please

Quote Originally Posted by a2amos View Post
    I have a 2012 suburban lc9 5.3, added btr stage 2 cam kit with dod/vvt delete. Kit came with ls7 lifters, beehive springs, stage 2 cam, 3 bolt sprocket. I also replaced the timing chain and oil pump.

So far the stock tune sounded better at idle but once warmed up and idled down/less fuel it wouldn't stay running to well.

Now ive disabled dod/afm and vvt as well as the mil codes.

This is my first tune and cam swap. It ive increased idle air flow and it idles smoother. Im still learning so im afraid to mess with spark advance and fuel.

Im wanting a smooth idle but also the sound, as well as improved mpg. I don't expect anything spectacular but right now im probably getting 8-10mpg according to the dash.

Ill upload my tune file here, Ill also upload a log file from vcm scanner shortly, any help would be greatly appreciated.

2012 suburban stock tune2.hpt
    not trying to hijack your thread, but submit reply was all I found for this. I have 08 LC9, just deleted DOD with a BTR kit and truck torque cam. Have not started it yet, trying to scan and copy the original file and then start making changes. New to "tuning" not new to engines. especially interested in how you determined the VE tables, etc. Did you need to use your CAM CARD information to program in? It would really seem like that would be the easiest way to tune it, plug in cam specs and away you go.

Unfortunately there is nowhere to plug in the cam specs. But be sure and read the tune file and save it somewhere safe and then e-mail it to yourself, in case of a computer failure. You will have to start from scratch like all the rest of us. Get your scanner, channels and charts set up with a wideband(hopefully). With a truck torque cam, it should start and idle and you can start making airflow(fuel) corrections. I wouldn't touch the spark tables until later.
    2000 Camaro SS 2015 L83 port injected, Whipple 3.0, 4L80E, 8.8 Ford
    2013 Silverado 5.3, 6L80k 8.8

Potential Tuner
    Blue Car is not opening for me, i am having similar issues. How do the down shift speeds need to be adjusted?