Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ecoboost Mustang dummy check

Advanced Tuner
    Here's decent log snip, now that I've been driving it for a few days.

Need to address some things though:
    Untitled-2.png

Coughed hard on me, not sure if it actually had knock or if it was just spark blow out, pretty sure it was spark blow out though from the big puff of black smoke out the tailpipe and the soft "puh" sound it made.
    I think I need to pull the spark plugs and see what they look like and check the gap, probably should get colder plugs.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    Ngk ltr7bhx

Don't buy on Amazon. Too many counterfeits.

https://www.tuneplusinc.com/products...eplus-inc-spec

Advanced Tuner
    I like the proprietary gapping claim, but they're on my list of stuff to buy.

Just checked my plugs, they were all way out of spec... At least .036"-.04", amazing I wasn't having more problems.
    Regapped them to .03" (couldn't find my old .026" feeler gauge I used to use on my SR20DET), and did a few good runs with out issue!
    I didn't feel like grabbing my laptop, so no logs.

Senior Tuner
    Glad you figured it out.

Advanced Tuner
    Swiper Stage 12.hpt

What do you guys think of this for safe mostly stock component tune?

Advanced Tuner
    Extremely safe IMO...
    Ford Performance tune runs a max load of like 2.4, so should be able to get at least up to that and still be safe.

Advanced Tuner
    Latest update, changed EOI timing a bit, seems to have cleared the insufficient fuel flow... Really hate to play with the timing that much, but until I get something sorted for the HPFP, this will do.
    Not sure why, but it also doesn't seem to be hitting quite the same timing that it was before, might be recovering from the spark blow-out event, I don't know.
    Or maybe it's the weather, still cool out, but also really humid, either way, still peak over 400 ft lbs indicated, so I'm happy. lol
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    test33 fuel.hpt
    Have you tried these changes?

Advanced Tuner
    Changing the desired rail pressure won't help any more, it's already running out of flow and can't hold the pressure as it is...
    Extra voltage from the alternator might help if the in-tank pump was running low on flow, but from what I understand that pump *should* be good for 600HP+

That dyno graph looks pretty good though!

Advanced Tuner
    I thought maybe by trying to get ahead of the dip you might hold pressure a tad longer. It actually dips and tries to recover a little higher in the rpm band so I still recommend trying it for giggles. I figured you would like a dyno graph haha, better than mine. I cannot seem to get my car happy over 21-22lbs of boost if its over 50* outside. Just knock retards down to 0* timing even after an intercooler. Tried 23lbs yesterday and it just felt bumpy and grindy like it was running on brimstone instead of gasoline. Backed it down to 21bs this morning and it feels smooth and strong. That could also be the 44* air this morning though. So frustrated with the lack of knock resistance at higher boost levels. I can squeak by with 22.5lbs some times but its never consistent enough to be comfortable with. even at higher rpm. I tried ramping up to 23 at 5k rpm to 6k rpm with the same result. I guess I'm going to have to try boostane or something

Advanced Tuner
    I would recommend the "Torco High Octane Accelerator." They are located down the street from me, so I have tried a lot of their stuff. Best part is that it is not made with MMT so you won't have to worry about discoloring or fouling your spark plugs or O2 sensors.

Advanced Tuner
    Thank you

Advanced Tuner
    Was that dyno graph based off the snip 33 log?

Advanced Tuner
    Yes it sure was!

Advanced Tuner
    nice, i have not messaed around with loading log info into that software yet. cool to look at

Advanced Tuner
    your comfy with that much knock retard per cylinder? thats what keeps me from wanting to push one this far as youve done.

Advanced Tuner
    On my engine even with the stock tune, I would see max knock in the range of -2, so I'm comfortable with keeping it like that.
    Ford engineered the controls to operate this way, so it's ok with me.

I suspect that if there were combustion chamber/piston damaging knock present, you would see knock retard in excess of -5 or more.

Quote Originally Posted by Seishuku View Post
    On my engine even with the stock tune, I would see max knock in the range of -2, so I'm comfortable with keeping it like that.
    Ford engineered the controls to operate this way, so it's ok with me.

I suspect that if there were combustion chamber/piston damaging knock present, you would see knock retard in excess of -5 or more.
    I totally agree. GM has been running their ignition systems similarly since GEN4. Anybody that reduces timing to the point that they don't see "knock retard" loses quite a bit of power and fuel economy.

Advanced Tuner
    I can agree with that, just knock retard scares me alot more on the ecoboost especially as much as hes been able to push his lol i was more so going by the picture of the log during the ignition cough he was having before regapping plugs every cylinder was 2 plus degrees but im more used to global knock retard on the coyote then the individual readings though.havent done many ecoboost mustangs and most iar load ive seen is in the mid to low 2.40/s and ive seen him push 2.8 so just not sure how much safely these can take is all .