Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ecoboost Mustang dummy check

Advanced Tuner
    I mean, I've heard of people getting bad fuel from the pumps and premium fuel doesn't get exchanged nearly much as regular at most gas stations, so it's possible that you got a bad tank of gas.
    It would be a pain, but you could drain the tank and refill with fuel from a different gas station... Though I would kind of expect the octane booster to make some of a difference.
    Maybe get it down to at least a half tank, refill with (hopefully) good fuel and another can or two of octane booster?

Advanced Tuner
    What is going on3.hpl
    Saga continues

Advanced Tuner
    Yeah, I think you're going to have to scope the cylinders, I think there's something bad going on in there. Some carbon buildup causing a hotspot, or something.

Advanced Tuner
    Changed the plugs today with the ngk 1 step colder plugs 6510. Gapped them to .25-.28. Changed the oild and filter. Gave it a good once over and took her out for a test drive. All good till we get to 9-10lbs of boost. now instead of knock I have misfires. Sometimes gentle like one maybe two cylinders. Sometimes it feels like all of them. Odd thing is that all of the knock is gone.......like gone and replaced with misfires. I though I was losing it so I cleaned my old spark plugs (ngk Ruthenium btw) and presto! No misfires just 8* of knock!!!!!!!!!!!! Changed them back and poof! Misfire central! Finally filled it up with fresh gas and zero changes........Im at a loss here fellas.

Side note, I believe my pcv has gone out. I get a lot of air out of the oil fill cap and a rattle every now and again. No smoke at all and the engine runs fine out of boost.

Advanced Tuner
    Well changed the spark plugs back to stock motor craft plugs and now the knock is back. I can?t figure this one out yet so I?m gonna just drive it and see if it blows it gets better. No metal in the oil I changed earlier.

Advanced Tuner
    Bore scope showed nothing in the cylinders immediately alarming besides some vertical scuff marks. All cylinders looked the same. Vertical scuffs is all I saw and they appeared to only be on the surface. No coolant or obvious oil burning. No smoke or fluid consumption. Runs fine everywhere under 8-9lbs of boost.

Advanced Tuner
    Have you done a mechanical compression test just do see if there is any variance that’s large between cylinders

Advanced Tuner
    I have not as of yet. I do not own a compression tester but it is on my list of things to do

Advanced Tuner
    Screenshot (87).jpg
    My cylinder walls look remarkably similar to this

Advanced Tuner
    yea not good at all that needs a short block i was going to ask how much scuffing but if it looks like that then damage is done. when i was a tech at ford me finding that damage and pictures sent to techline they would have me replace the engine

Advanced Tuner
    How long could I expect this engine to run? As of right now it runs perfectly fine if I just drive it normally. I gotta get some life outta this thing. No dealer is gonna warranty this now

Advanced Tuner
    id drive it easy to try to make it last, does it burn oil now?

Advanced Tuner
    None so far. No smoke or anything so far

Advanced Tuner
    once it gets worse it will start to burn oil as pressure blows past the rings where it wont be sealing against the cylinder walls. how many miles on it?

Advanced Tuner
    37k..I measured the piston height at bdc yesterday but couldn't see a difference between any cylinders. Also flood starting the engine doesn't show any signs of dragging or low compression but I do not have a compression tester yet.

Advanced Tuner
    powertrain warranty is 5/60 if its all stock id put stock tune back on and bring to ford and have them look it over i cant see them giving you a issue on a stock component vehicle .

Advanced Tuner
    I tried to have to active shutters replaced under the bumper to bumper warranty at 34k and they refused due to key cycle count....What tuning had to do with the active shutters I do not know. I have no hope of getting ang engine replaced if they will do that to me. I took this data log today. First time I have tried getting on it Since the last data log posted. Tell me what you guys think and what I am missing. The wastegate has been lowered to only try and run spring pressure but it creeps pretty high anyway. Also this tune is locked to 0 KOM and im running what should be 93 octane.
    23-02-16 08-44-03.hpl
    Look to me to only knock when my foot is on the floor regardless of boost.

Advanced Tuner
    23-02-16 09-54-04.hpl
    Another one

IDS has a dynamic compression test where the system measures crank speed while turning the motor with the starter. It has been a useful tool for me over the years. I've never looked for it in Forscan but since Forscan is a (thankfully) reverse engineered IDS, decent chance that the dynamic compression test is in there.

Advanced Tuner
    yea good call there forscan might very well have it