Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ecoboost Mustang dummy check

Advanced Tuner
    Latest.hpl

So this is funny. I noticed last night that the same air load will be achieved with differing amounts of boost. I am wondering if that is temperature dependent. Charge temp to be more specific. Any way, what do yall think about the timing here? Spark limit is cyl pressure limit so it will not increase past this unless the limiter is removed. How high do you guys push pump gas?

Advanced Tuner
    With out access to a dyno, I couldn't say exactly where the torque drops off.
    From the tunes that I've seen on Mustangs and Focus RSs with similar air loads, they're all around 4 degrees advance at peak... So I'm not sure I would push it much more than that, maybe 8 degrees max.

Advanced Tuner
    seishuku have you tried your tune from your own car on other mustangs and had same results or is your just like some factory freak lol

Advanced Tuner
    I've modified a few tunes with the same methods that I've been using here and have had good reports, but nothing that I've actually seen in person... Just helping out those who ask.

Advanced Tuner
    I appreciate the info sharing for sure

Advanced Tuner
    dynograph.jpg
    That is my latest dyno graph from the tune file I've settled on. The canister pressure table had all the answers in it that I was looking for.
    Latest1.hpl

Advanced Tuner
    I've attached my logging configuration, for those interested.

Quote Originally Posted by reubone View Post
    dynograph.jpg
    That is my latest dyno graph from the tune file I've settled on. The canister pressure table had all the answers in it that I was looking for.
    Latest1.hpl
    Looks good too!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    Would you care to share the file to compare to seishuku's? would be good info since you look to be making dang good power too

Advanced Tuner
    Swiper New Tune5.hpt

Sure. Beware though, I have raised the cylinder pressure limit spark up a few. The wot spark rides against the knock sensors for the most part so this may not be ideal. I dunno. What do you guys think about raising that limit our of the way and letting the tune mechanics add timing and take away at knock threshold?

Oh, Im also testing this tune file on 87 octane right now. No issues so far.

Advanced Tuner
    thank you , looks like youare making dnag good power on 87 for sure? 335 wheel nice

Advanced Tuner
    On my 93 file I been tuning on this one 17 ecoboost I raised that limit and added 2 degrees to all the spark tables it hits during wot and it’s taking it fine so far. Car is catless downpipe 3 inch mbrp cat back, jlt cold air , big ass cv fabrication race Intercooler and ngk 6510 plugs gapped at .028 and old school vacuum turbo smart bov. I have the lambda spark adder zeroed out and let the knoc sensors add timing on there own if it wants to but it’s always on 93 and driven hard he does a lot of auto cross in it

Advanced Tuner
    this file does the car have any modifications ?

Advanced Tuner
    Nah that wheel hp was on 93. I'm just testing the safety of the tune overall. Im going to test one more tank full of 87 just to be sure. It sure is cheaper but dang is it slow lol

Advanced Tuner
    OH OK LOL, this was a stock vehicle though basically?

Advanced Tuner
    Better airfilter, catless downpipe and street intercooler. Everything else is stock

Advanced Tuner
    What is going on2.hpl
    What is going on.hpl
    Ok guys... what is going on here. Tune is largely the same as above. No significant changes at all. Why all of the sudden, after adding and experimenting with boostane, do I have serious spark knock. Until a tank and a half ago I was very confident in the spark handling system to take care of most if not all spark knock. Now it is audible and random. I can do one pull as much as I dare and gets lots of knock. Then try another behind it and get very little if any. No pulls have been able to duplicate the same hp level however so it is down on power noticeably. No other symptoms exist outside the car. No smoke or fluid consumption. MPG remain the same. What the hell is going on

Advanced Tuner
    Wow, that's really weird... Especially that second log where it's adding timing like crazy everywhere except for cylinder 3.

Other than something mechanical being wrong, have tried a KAM reset? I'm wondering if the ECU has learned something that might be causing this...
    (while connected to the car in VCM Scanner, click the Vehicle controls & Special functions button)

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Seishuku View Post
    Wow, that's really weird... Especially that second log where it's adding timing like crazy everywhere except for cylinder 3.

Other than something mechanical being wrong, have tried a KAM reset? I'm wondering if the ECU has learned something that might be causing this...
    (while connected to the car in VCM Scanner, click the Vehicle controls & Special functions button)
    At this point it is worth a shot. I'm considering several options at the moment. This is what I have come up with. Do general maintenance this weekend. Plugs and oil change and general inspection of parts. Bore scope if I can get mine t work. Then based on my findings I will either

1. Ignore the issue for the rest of this tank and only testing wot again once I get more fuel.
    2. Rewrite stock tune and leave it alone until the warranty runs out. I may be able to get my key cycles up high enough to be believable if the engine blows. Dunno
    3. Pull the engine and redo the head gasket and with studs for more insurance and delete the balance shafts.
    4. Invest in a still and make my own ethanol.

I'm losing it over here. Don't know if I have a fuel system that is sporadically giving me lean cylinders or if my low pressure fuel pump sensor is not reading correctly or just what the deal is. Hopefully it's just bad gas

Advanced Tuner
    LP fuel pressure sensors on these engines don't have the greatest reliability record, I'm on my 3rd right now... Though replacing the 2nd one may not have been needed, but they're cheap.
    Don't really think that's the issue here though.

Best bet would be to jump back to a known good tune (previous version or even 100% stock), reset all adaptations and let things re-learn and see where it settles.
    If it still does it, then it has to be something mechanically wrong.

It's really recommended that a reset be done after each flash, but personally I'm too lazy to do a full re-learn with setting readiness and don't want to waste the fuel. lol
    Last edited by Seishuku; 02-10-2023 at 10:53 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Seishuku View Post
    LP fuel pressure sensors on these engines don't have the greatest reliability record, I'm on my 3rd right now... Though replacing the 2nd one may not have been needed, but they're cheap.
    Don't really think that's the issue here though.

Best bet would be to jump back to a known good tune (previous version or even 100% stock), reset all adaptations and let things re-learn and see where it settles.
    If it still does it, then it has to be something mechanically wrong.

It's really recommended that a reset be done after each flash, but personally I'm too lazy to do a full re-learn with setting readiness and don't want to waste the fuel. lol
    Do you think that it is possible that the fuel could be the issue? Thats what I am secretly hoping. I think I will do exactly what your recommending. Write that tune that worked so well and reset all adaptive. I may even rebuild it from the stock file that I have. I remember with my g8, every now and again a file would corrupt just enough to run a little funny. Nothing you could put your finger on but it would be off. Rebuild the tune from scratch and everything is hunky dory again. Lord knows I have flashed this car a million times already. Ill post here again if anything changes for the better. If it gets worse I'll start a new thread.

Note: I hate having to wait to drive it sporty or at wot because it gets such great fuel economy lol. Takes me over a week to burn a tank. Blessing and a curse
    Last edited by reubone; 02-10-2023 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Needed addition commentary