Thread: T42 tcm TUTD?

Tuner in Training

T42 tcm TUTD?

So I have a 2000 Camaro SS that I'm doing an LS3 bills and doing 58x conversion along with the t42 TCM. I have the East 67th ECM along with my t42 TCM on a bench harness and I can see that it will enable TUTD in the tune for the TCM. It even gives me a option for hardwire or serial. Does anyone have a pinout for what wires need to go where or a diagram?

I have looked and haven't found any applications that used it.

What I think is, they put the provisions in the OS for hardwire TUTD just in case but never got around to using it in production. It's very possible/likely that the hardware is there attached to two of the unused TCM pins but without an application to get the wiring diagram from, it could be any of them, and there are a bunch. You'd have to have a parameter to monitor and then try all possible combinations of all the blank pins. It would be a whole lot of not-fun and at the end of it you may discover that none of them work, and the board-level components just weren't put inside the TCM to enable it.

HA! 2006 Malibu. TCM pin 10.

2006 Malibu T42 TUTD switch.png
    2006 Malibu T42 TCM.png

In the tune, setting TUTD Range Select field to 'enabled' should mean the Malibu's separate enable switch isn't needed (the Malibu tune has that set to 'disabled').

Tuner in Training
    This is AMAZING

2007 Tahoe 5.3/4L60E/4x4, TUTD enabled in tune.07 5.3 Tahoe stock.hpt

My '06 Envoy has it enabled as 'hardwire' in the tune as well, but no Envoy was ever made with a tap-up/tap-down switch installed. If it was never installed, it doesn't exist in the wiring diagrams/pinouts.

'07 Tahoe 4x4 shows TCM pins 8-10 as unused for both 4L60 & 4L80. Service manual does not have a 'Tap-up/Tap-down' section under 'description and operation' for any of the 3 transmission families, not even 6L80 - that entry does exist on other platforms that were available with TUTD.

I had spent hours looking for this several times before, found nothing and eventually gave up. I just never thought to look at any of the crap FWD platforms. I didn't know any of them used the T42 at all. I don't think there were any RWD platforms that used any flavor of TUTD with a T42, because I wasted way too much time looking for one.

Yep, the Tahoe TUTD is via BCM. Some are getting TUTD to work without BCM but I did not try it yet. I am in the middle of a swap project, 2009 LY6, 6L90E, NQH tcase into an old S10. I kept the BCM and even the ABS from the 2009 rig in order to have TUTD and A4x4 mode. Kinda wrapped up the wiring and fuel system tonight. Should start soon.

But that's not used on any Tahoe with the T42. In the Tahoe eSI they call it 'DSC', Driver Shift Control. 6LxxE/T43 only.

Good point.

Anyone tried this yet?

BTW, here's a Grand Prix diagram showing a different arrangement with two switches. Same circuit function.

2006 Grand Prix TUTD.png

That's great, but my platform's BCM has no inputs for that. Hence the search for a hardwired-direct-to-T42 solution, found in the FWD W-body. Also, that diagram looks like all the ones I found that were T43-only - those same platforms had no tap shift, either serial or hardwired, when equipped with T42 and a 4-speed.

You can buy a CAN-based interface module for T43s, there are several of them. No one on earth makes one advertised to work with T42s, in fact most specifically state 'will not work with T42'.