Thread: Help Quick Question LOAD

Potential Tuner

Help Quick Question LOAD

Hello, new to HP tuners and tuning in general. My Question is what is ford referring to as Load ? For example let say spark table has Load vs Rpm. Also when trying to create a graph for data logging where would I find load or is it a math equation? Any help would be greatly appreciated I have looked but couldn't find any clear example, or I didn't understand it. Thanks

Advanced Tuner
    Air load. It?s a pid in scanner.

Potential Tuner
    Ok thanks. So if I was to type in Air Load it should come up correct? Also what unit of measurement is it using? Thanks again

Advanced Tuner
    Yes it should.

I don?t know how it is derived but it?s an air flow calculation. My brain translates it to a map value more or less. 1.0 = 1 bar (atmospheric), 2.0 2 bar etc. it?s ?close? to that anyway.

Senior Tuner
    Ford uses both loads

Airload doesn't have a unit, because it is a fraction of ("current MAF" lb /"max MAF @ current baro cylinder pressure" lb), the lb units cancel out. You can see it can be a lot higher than 1.0 or 100% if your MAP goes higher than 1 bar pressure.
    Absolute load "number" unit would be the same thing, but absolute gives you the option of %, but thats not used anywhere in the calibration.

Calculated load is also used, but much less know how and when. Its more related to driver demand torque vs maximum torque output from the engine. Instead of using the reference point of "max @ current baro", it then becomes "maximum air possible getting in the cylinder" giving you what most people know as VE, and it shouldn't go much higher than 100%. If MAP is 20PSI, its very unlikely cylinder pressure at IVC is going to be 25PSI(114% VE), nature and physics just doesn't allow for that. You can tune it to think that, but it will just be running rich(safe). Then peak VE usually happens with peak torque. so if peak torque happens at 5500RPM for you, your WOT DD torque should actually peak then fall after that RPM to follow reality. That's just one example of torque modeling an engines output to your pedal. A lot of this comes in to play in the SD calculations ability determining calculated map or calculated air mass with high accuracy. Hence calculated load.

If you have a MAF vehicle replace all references to air with mass in lbs. SD will determine MAP inHg(maximum torque) for you. That's what you correct in your SD. MAF sensor determines airload.

If you have a MAP vehicle keep all references to air in inHg on an absolute scale. SD will determine lb mass of air in cylinder(airload) for you. That's what you correct in your SD. MAP sensor determines maximum torque.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks I appreciate it. I’m gonna try to make sense of what you just put. Lol. Like I said I’m new and learning. The car I’m messing with now is a S197 3v, so using maf only has basic bolt ons. It wouldn’t log correctly do To the graph not set correctly. I believe I found the Load. One is absolute Load and other is Airflow Load. Also STFT show it’s adding fuel up top and would like to which table controls fuel. Any help again would be greatly appreciated

Senior Tuner
    Look for a PID called fuel source. If its adding fuel up top, and you are mostly stock, its probably cat over temp protection.

Potential Tuner
    Ok thanks I look into it.