Thread: I'm new, can't find a few answers regarding Engine RPM data, fps, & batch automation

Potential Tuner

I'm new, can't find a few answers regarding Engine RPM data, fps, & batch automation

Hi, just learned my GoPro Hero 8 has GPS data (& more) along with the footage and learning all about it - or trying to. I'm planning to purchase the Ultimate license for RaceRender because it's so cool!

What tool or device would I use to capture the engine RPM on my motorcycle? Sadly, it doesn't appear to be my GoPro Hero 8.

Exporting...Can it export 4k/60? I read in a post yes and where to look in Create Video, but I only see 4k, no fps stated. Is 4k 60fps by default?

The other question is...Can I select a template I made and apply it to a folder of videos using some sort of batch automation?

Thanks for the help!

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by sonicdj View Post
    Hi, just learned my GoPro Hero 8 has GPS data (& more) along with the footage and learning all about it - or trying to. I'm planning to purchase the Ultimate license for RaceRender because it's so cool!

What tool or device would I use to capture the engine RPM on my motorcycle? Sadly, it doesn't appear to be my GoPro Hero 8.

Exporting...Can it export 4k/60? I read in a post yes and where to look in Create Video, but I only see 4k, no fps stated. Is 4k 60fps by default?

The other question is...Can I select a template I made and apply it to a folder of videos using some sort of batch automation?

Thanks for the help!
    To record engine RPM, you would need an app (such as TrackAddict) to record data, and an OBD II reader (TrackAddict supports these devices). I use the OBDLink MX since I have a Ford that can take advantage of the extra features. TrackAddict can also support recording video from your phone or from a GoPro as well, but you would only get a default type of overlay (as far as I know). That's why I like recording video separately from the data and then synchronizing them later in RaceRender since I can create custom gauges that look nearly identical to my actual car or a Formula 1 style lap timer.

For exporting, I believe that RaceRender will default to the size and frame rate of the video itself, but those are saved to the project itself (rather than some sort of overall setting within RaceRender that gets applied to anything you open). You can always change the exact settings in the "Create Video" section. I just got a GoPro Hero 8 myself, but I haven't recorded anything with it yet. I've had issues rendering at 4K previously, but that was upscaling from a smaller video to 4K. I'm also rendering on a 6 year old computer now (but it was a really good computer at the time); so that could also be impacting me. I don't have any issues at 1440p though.

RaceRender works on a single project at a time (but you can open multiple instances to view different projects). I don't think there's a way to perform batch automation, but you can add multiple video files and multiple data files to a single project in order to render a single longer video (or show a rear-view mirror on top of the front view). The hardest part would be synchronizing each of the videos to any data, which isn't particularly difficult, but does take a little trial and error if you're trying to match things exactly.

Potential Tuner
    Ah! thank you for all the info. I'll look into what you shared, appreciate the time.