Thread: 2014 Ford ranger 3.2 diesel guidance and advice.

Tuner

2014 Ford ranger 3.2 diesel guidance and advice.

Hello all,
    i am by all means not looking for a free ride here but more looking for someone with experience tuning diesels.
    i have tuned hundreds of LS and Ford stuff but never really touched much common rail.
    i have attached the file of the vehicle that i am able to tinker with.
    it is a 2014 Ford ranger 3.2 diesel 6 speed manual.
    I was firstly going to start with raising the torque management and adding some more injector pulse width at high load and increase boost and rail limits then log.
    is this a good start?
    i know there is HEAPS more that can be done but i am just looking for a safe reliable vehicle at the end of the process.
    i will have full access to an EGT gauge whilst logging.
    Thanks heaps
    Attached Files Attached Files

Start by bumping up maximum fueling limits under Main injection limits to get them out of the way first, they will hold you back and then bump your torque to fuel amount in the higher torque areas and smooth it in. Don't mess with injector PW until you've maxed out your fueling in stock form, most of the time on later model ford stuff you'll be able to max out the stock setup on a stock PW map. Some will disagree but that's my opinion. This will keep the fueling very accurate until you've reached that point of needing more fuel. If this is emissions on be careful about monitoring NOX production, play with timing but remember this isn't a gas engine and adding timing alone doesn't always result in more power, we are limiting revs by fuel amount so adding fuel and timing together usually nets the best result but it can obviously hurt mileage. Monitor your MG fuel amount delivered and see if you're hitting your commanded MG fuel amount, if you're not you have a limiter holding you back somewhere, find it and retest. For boost when you add fuel and start making more power you'll have more exhaust flow and not require as much vane percentage to maintain the same boost. So leave boost alone at first to see how it's doing and then start adding some vane position to meet your needs. Your main timing is ATDC instead of before so just multiply the whole table by -1 to see BTDC, make changes and do it again if that helps you see it better. Post a data log i'd love to look over it and good luck!

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by JaegerWrenching View Post
    Start by bumping up maximum fueling limits under Main injection limits to get them out of the way first, they will hold you back and then bump your torque to fuel amount in the higher torque areas and smooth it in. Don't mess with injector PW until you've maxed out your fueling in stock form, most of the time on later model ford stuff you'll be able to max out the stock setup on a stock PW map. Some will disagree but that's my opinion. This will keep the fueling very accurate until you've reached that point of needing more fuel. If this is emissions on be careful about monitoring NOX production, play with timing but remember this isn't a gas engine and adding timing alone doesn't always result in more power, we are limiting revs by fuel amount so adding fuel and timing together usually nets the best result but it can obviously hurt mileage. Monitor your MG fuel amount delivered and see if you're hitting your commanded MG fuel amount, if you're not you have a limiter holding you back somewhere, find it and retest. For boost when you add fuel and start making more power you'll have more exhaust flow and not require as much vane percentage to maintain the same boost. So leave boost alone at first to see how it's doing and then start adding some vane position to meet your needs. Your main timing is ATDC instead of before so just multiply the whole table by -1 to see BTDC, make changes and do it again if that helps you see it better. Post a data log i'd love to look over it and good luck!
    Great thanks heaps for the reply and direction.
    i am going to be back at this vehicle in the next week or so. i will defiantly post up before, progress and after logs and files.

Tuner
    Yes, looks 'safe' to me as long as you're a little sympathetic on take-off. I'm still at the scanning/logging/looking stage.

Ranger newbie observations...
    I'd have probably only bumped it 50-75Nm in 1st and 2nd gear to start with [ECM38480]. I don't know how strong the MT82 box is.
    Table ECM18723 and its brothers only got bumped 10Nm. I would probably go for ~+50 but only at higher throttle openings.
    You desensitised the pedal a bit at low %. I agree and would probably have gone a bit more. I have a throttle controller and use it allow me to push the throttle more as it's uncomfortable holding the throttle open a little bit.

I'm interested to see how this feels to you.
    Ian B
    '15 Holden VF SSVR L77(gone), '19 Ford Ranger PX3 3.2TD, '22 Toyota GDJ150

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by VFL77 View Post
    Yes, looks 'safe' to me as long as you're a little sympathetic on take-off. I'm still at the scanning/logging/looking stage.

Ranger newbie observations...
    I'd have probably only bumped it 50-75Nm in 1st and 2nd gear to start with [ECM38480]. I don't know how strong the MT82 box is.
    Table ECM18723 and its brothers only got bumped 10Nm. I would probably go for ~+50 but only at higher throttle openings.
    You desensitised the pedal a bit at low %. I agree and would probably have gone a bit more. I have a throttle controller and use it allow me to push the throttle more as it's uncomfortable holding the throttle open a little bit.

I'm interested to see how this feels to you.
    awesome thanks for the feedback.
    i am going to spend the day with the vehicle this coming saturday.
    i will post some logs and the final tune with feedback.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by tris909 View Post
    awesome thanks for the feedback.
    i am going to spend the day with the vehicle this coming saturday.
    i will post some logs and the final tune with feedback.

How did this end up for you?
    What did your final maps look like?
    Thanks - just starting out with my15 ranger 3.2t

Potential Tuner
    How many credits were needed to tune the ranger and can the EGR be disabled?
    Last edited by hath; 07-08-2020 at 03:56 AM.

Potential Tuner
    4 credits required, don't know about egr.

Tuner
    ...good egts, no huge amounts of smoke....getting an extra 100km to a tank.
    Tris,
    You've got a PX1, yes?. What have you done to be able to measure EGT?.
    What tuning changes do you think made the most difference to economy?. The tables between the SID208 and 209 PCM's are quite different in many places so some things don't translate directly.
    Ian B

Tuner
    Tris,
    You've got a PX1, yes?. What have you done to be able to measure EGT?.
    What tuning changes do you think made the most difference to economy?. The tables between the SID208 and 209 PCM's are quite different in many places so some things don't translate directly.

PX2 with SID 208, so being manual also of this era it has no DPF.
    raising the torque limits i think improved the economy drastically.
    Drilling hole into dump pipe and putting pyro in the hole, using an automotive fluke multi meter to do the temp readings.
    have used the wideband also to give me some sort of feedback nut they are pretty useless unless you are under load with the tail pipe sniffer.

Tuner
    PX2 with SID 208..have used the wideband also to give me some sort of feedback nut they are pretty useless unless you are under load with the tail pipe sniffer.
    I thought all PX2 used 209's. So it's just DPF motors that use the SID209?
    What wideband setup do you have? I run one on my VF (petrol) but wasn't sure how useful and accurate the consumer UEGO sensors are with diesel engines.
    Other than the small effect on fuel economy, I don't see that the DPF should affect tuning other than the increased number of [poorly documented] tables to deal with in the Editor.
    Ian B

Tuner
    I thought all PX2 used 209's. So it's just DPF motors that use the SID209?
    What wideband setup do you have? I run one on my VF (petrol) but wasn't sure how useful and accurate the consumer UEGO sensors are with diesel engines.
    Other than the small effect on fuel economy, I don't see that the DPF should affect tuning other than the increased number of [poorly documented] tables to deal with in the Editor.
    non dpf use 208 as far as i am aware.
    i am using innovate LM2 wideband with there own sniffer pipe unit, still only using an LSU 4.2 sensor.
    the LM2 can be calibrated for diesel, as i am sure the UEGO could be too.
    no the dpf doesn't really provide to much of a drawback as i have seen a few done with ktag with great increases.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by hath View Post
    How many credits were needed to tune the ranger and can the EGR be disabled?
    from EGR map flatten that 0 for all and also 100 open and close valve table.
    Last edited by dannarc; 01-13-2021 at 11:55 PM.
    2017 WT Ranger 3.2L P5AT

Banned
    Do you have an ecu strategy for this? or pcm part number?

non dpf use 208 as far as i am aware.
    i am using innovate LM2 wideband with there own sniffer pipe unit, still only using an LSU 4.2 sensor.
    the LM2 can be calibrated for diesel, as i am sure the UEGO could be too.
    no the dpf doesn't really provide to much of a drawback as i have seen a few done with ktag with great increases.
    I'm seeing this alot with people using there own wideband gauge and sensors??? But why ??? Dosnt the ford ranger 3.2 diesle px2 have a factory wideband sensor ? And cant u log thru the factory oxygen sensor ??? Also i read somewhere we can not access the Manifold air pressure sensor ??? But i have a banks Idash gauge and can read Map sensor ??

Tuner
    No O2 sensors on the P5AT.
    HPT can read MAP and all(?) sensors on the P5AT.
    Ian B

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerstrokecustoms View Post
    Do you have an ecu strategy for this? or pcm part number?
    SID209 ECU is EB3G-12A650-KF with a recent strategy of EB3G-14C204-EFL
    Ian B

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Aus_spec_ranger View Post
    But why ??? Dosnt the ford ranger 3.2 diesle px2 have a factory wideband sensor ? And cant u log thru the factory oxygen sensor ???
    Diesels do not rely on oxygen sensors for mixture control. It is a completely different kettle of fish tuning a diesel to a petrol. On light throttle cruise diesels might be 60:1 and under full throttle 19-20:1.
    Where petrol would be between 12-15:1 regardless of light or full throttle.

Dont fall into the trap of trying to tune a diesel like a petrol. Big failures have resulted when petrol tuners try and follow this path.