Thread: This is burst knock, tune also covers complicated e38 tuning, helpful for new folks

This is burst knock, tune also covers complicated e38 tuning, helpful for new folks

2007 C6Z on3 performance twin turbo, custom 8620 cam 230/248 660/660 lift, snake eater 1000 cc injectors, methanol nozzle #6 sno-201 kit, Stock fuel pump with 18v BAP, 6.5 lbs wastegate, 685 dual valve springs and brass trunions.

if you have been following this forum, hptuners helped me starting a couple years ago, tune my C6Z with bolt ons, then a cam, and now the full twin turbo, BAP, methanol breathing monster is alive. hopefully this post may help others. I am posting my tune and 2 logs, the first log is before methanol and that is real knock in the cylinders, you can see the knock shows up in the cylinders, the second log is after methanol and there is only burst knock, you will see all the knock show up under burst knock(pre-emptive knock retard).
    **I do have to pull some gas out after adding the meth as she went a little rich on me, ill post again after those changes**

The other reason i posted this, is it covers a lot of the tough questions for newer folks.
    This is an 07 with 1000cc sake eater injectors, so my injectors are scaled
    methanol and BAP are on my car with this tune
    This is full SD with open loop and no check engine light(your VE table better be on for this to run gracefully)
    I have increased airflow for idle and startup
    this is the custom 2bar OS with a 2 bar map installed on the car
    There is a step down from PE to BE hence you can have normal NA power out of boost, and beautiful power in boost
    This is a high altitude tune as I live in Denver.
    No bucking or surging, cruise control works great even at 1400 rpms, and even without closed loop my commanded vs afr is very nice while cruising.
    DFCO and CFCO are on and working
    I still get 30 mpg on the highway, and I can get 2 more if I go closed loop lol

I hope this can help anyone who is facing anything i already have, I will post again after leaning out the wot, and then again after tuning for 8lbs, 10 lbs and then 12 lbs of boost.

if you have any questions or suggestions please dont hesitate to post, I am hoping this thread can help others the way I was helped.

real knock in cylinder 5 at 5400 rpms
    wot with knock before methanol.hpl
    burst knock only, you can literally see it under burst knock
    6k wot burst knock after methanol.hpl
    Tune
    2 bar os SD open loop. scaled injectors, meth, bap, twin turbo 6.5 lbs.hpt

First of all thank for sharing your experience in this set up. It's a nice build! So, I believe your car is running not in open loop but close loop as you can tell by the fuel trims and you can add that option in the scanner to tell if your in close or open loop. Another point is that your power enrichment mod at full throttle came on after almost one second which is late in my opinion. Good luck and thank you for sharing.

Thank you very much for the reply, I am still learning and I am sure will be for years to come, which is why i really enjoy hptuners forum. You are 100% right, my closed loop did enable on the run, but I can not figure out why, I have attached the screenshot to the two areas i changed temp ratings to disable closed loop, is there something else i am forgetting, do i need to raise temp threshold for LTFT?

For PE i dropped the kpa back to 15 from 50, and lowered throttle needed to engage PE, which should take care of the late enrichment mode, thank you again for the great observations, and if you know how to help me get into true open loop I would greatly appreciate it, if you have suggestions for faster enrichment i would take those too, thank you.

tables i adjusted hoping for open loop
    why closed loop.PNG
    Last edited by Gpargament; 06-10-2020 at 11:10 AM.

Your welcome. I enjoy learning everyday. There is no limit to the knowledge of tuning. And we keep improving from time to time. So, regarding the close loop you need to max the following tables to be able to stay at open loop all of the time.Capture2.PNG and Capture3.PNG

And for the PE mod I would zero out the rpm delay cause u put it at 2k rpm. And reduce the throttle hot table to your liking. I saw your table it as at 40% tps up to 3000rpm which is ok. But, I would reduce it from 3500rpm and above.
    Last edited by Mr.z0611; 06-10-2020 at 12:33 PM.

Lol I just realized that you increased the delay speed bypass

you could zero these two outCapture4.PNG
    Last edited by Mr.z0611; 06-10-2020 at 12:28 PM.

And for your AFR it's rich for your boost and timing. I would target an 11.2 ~ 11.5

as much I appreciate the latest response "And for your AFR it's rich for your boost and timing. I would target an 11.2 ~ 11.5"
    my car actually targets .769 lambda which is 11.31 afr(you can see this in the tune after methanol with burst knock), and I already posted in the first post "**I do have to pull some gas out after adding the meth as she went a little rich on me, ill post again after those changes**" I wasnt really trying to show WOT afr, I wanted to help those who keep freaking out over seeing knock and not knowing if its burst or in the cylinders. The tune before methanol, was purposely rich as I was still dialing in the tune, and targeted .750 lambda to keep it safe, however the after methanol burst knock tune does target .769. I have since adjusted the wot to bring it consistent between 11.2 and 11.5, .769-.780 lambda, when i get a chance to take her out again I will finish the 10lb tune and show the corrected afr as well.

if there is other advice I am always up for learning something knew, but this one was already mentioned in my original post

here is a better looking afr after i pulled gas out of the ve table, when i finish the 10lb full wot tune I will post it with the on target afr.
    pulled gas out for wot.hpl

Quote Originally Posted by Gpargament View Post
    as much I appreciate the latest response "And for your AFR it's rich for your boost and timing. I would target an 11.2 ~ 11.5"
    my car actually targets .769 lambda which is 11.31 afr(you can see this in the tune after methanol with burst knock), and I already posted in the first post "**I do have to pull some gas out after adding the meth as she went a little rich on me, ill post again after those changes**" I wasnt really trying to show WOT afr, I wanted to help those who keep freaking out over seeing knock and not knowing if its burst or in the cylinders. The tune before methanol, was purposely rich as I was still dialing in the tune, and targeted .750 lambda to keep it safe, however the after methanol burst knock tune does target .769. I have since adjusted the wot to bring it consistent between 11.2 and 11.5, .769-.780 lambda, when i get a chance to take her out again I will finish the 10lb tune and show the corrected afr as well.

if there is other advice I am always up for learning something knew, but this one was already mentioned in my original post

here is a better looking afr after i pulled gas out of the ve table, when i finish the 10lb full wot tune I will post it with the on target afr.
    pulled gas out for wot.hpl
    Great, yes indeed you mentioned that. I also mentioned what you have to change to stay at open loop

LMFAO and i just realized i missed that post entirely, and you are 100% completely right, thx for pushing past my curt answer and delivering the solution I needed. Greatly appreciated, I will make those adjustments now.

Advanced Tuner
    Old thread but have some injector questions for you. Im running SEP 1000CCs and noticed your injector tables are alot different than the data I received and have loaded. My 07 Cam/boosted runs very well other than truck dont start worth a shit and a little bit of warm idle issues. Searching for possible solutions made me stumble across this thread.
    1. Curious where you got your injector data from and what percentage did you scale the injectors? Do you mind sharing the spreadsheet SEP sent you?
    2. [ECM 3055] Short Pulse Limit and [ECM 12314] Short Pulse Adder: The data I received from SEP does not match with what you have nor does it make sense. Data from SEP has Short Pulse Limit set at 4.0 but, Short Pulse Adder tables all zeros from 4.0ms to 1.3ms. One would think if you have zeros from 4.0ms to 1.3ms in your Short Pulse Adder, your Short Pulse Limit would be set at 1.3ms.....? I know Factory Calibrations, Injector Dynamics and your tables, Pulse Adder tables start at whatever ms number is in the Short Pulse Limit table, adding or subtracting pulse from the ms limit all the way down to zero ms. Not sure why SEP has this data setup so differently and is probably a question for SEP or Greg Banish who supposedly characterized the injectors for them.
    3. [ECM] 12308 - Injector Offset vs. Pressure Delta vs. IGNV: Is this from your stock calibration? Your table is extremely different than the data I received from SEP.
    4. [ECM] 33392 - Injector Flow Mult vs. Fuel Flow: Is this from your stock calibration? This data is not included with my spreadsheet from SEP and I left mine stock at 1.00 across the entire table in my truck.
    1961 C-10 5.3 NV3500

2007 NNBS ECSB 4.8

Tuner in Training
    he said his injectors were scaled, so they wouldn't be the same as the stock recommended values would they?

Advanced Tuner
    Not sure what you are asking about recommended values? His injectors are not stock and yes he scaled the Flow Rate. When injectors are scaled, the only injector table we scale is [ECM] 12307 - Injector Flow Rate vs. Pressure Delta table by whatever % then you adjust Stoich and AFR terms accordingly or if you are scaling all of the tune, anything with G/s.
    1961 C-10 5.3 NV3500

2007 NNBS ECSB 4.8

Quote Originally Posted by mcfarlnd View Post
    Old thread but have some injector questions for you. Im running SEP 1000CCs and noticed your injector tables are alot different than the data I received and have loaded...

2. [ECM 3055] Short Pulse Limit and [ECM 12314] Short Pulse Adder: The data I received from SEP does not match with what you have nor does it make sense. Data from SEP has Short Pulse Limit set at 4.0 but, Short Pulse Adder tables all zeros from 4.0ms to 1.3ms. One would think if you have zeros from 4.0ms to 1.3ms in your Short Pulse Adder, your Short Pulse Limit would be set at 1.3ms.....? I know Factory Calibrations, Injector Dynamics and your tables, Pulse Adder tables start at whatever ms number is in the Short Pulse Limit table, adding or subtracting pulse from the ms limit all the way down to zero ms. Not sure why SEP has this data setup so differently and is probably a question for SEP or Greg Banish who supposedly characterized the injectors for them.
    Not all "SEP 1000" injectors have the same dataset. We tested several different designs that flow in the 1000cc/min range, but each ended up with its own calibrations due to the difference in injector geometry, coils, orifice plates, etc.

Regarding short pulse adder, the GM direction is to generally set the limit == 4.0 ms and put the necessary values in the short pulse adder table. These values taper to zero somewhere in there, some designs quicker than others. Having the logic active, but adding a value of zero is functionally the same as turning the logic off earlier (like, around 2.5-3.0ms).

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by eficalibrator View Post
    Not all "SEP 1000" injectors have the same dataset. We tested several different designs that flow in the 1000cc/min range, but each ended up with its own calibrations due to the difference in injector geometry, coils, orifice plates, etc.

Regarding short pulse adder, the GM direction is to generally set the limit == 4.0 ms and put the necessary values in the short pulse adder table. These values taper to zero somewhere in there, some designs quicker than others. Having the logic active, but adding a value of zero is functionally the same as turning the logic off earlier (like, around 2.5-3.0ms).
    Thank you for the clarification Greg.
    1961 C-10 5.3 NV3500

2007 NNBS ECSB 4.8