Thread: 4L60 Gear Change 1998 Camaro V6

Senior Tuner

4L60 Gear Change 1998 Camaro V6

Got a strange one here. In this one the Gear/Tire is one Value, no option to enter both a gear and tire. Stock is set to 7.28 like I found here in a few threads, but nowhere can I find dealing with a single value. Stock gear in this is a 3.42, verified by both tag and owner. Do I assume that the value is for a 24.931 tire and a 3.42 gear? I just looked at this because a 4.56 gear is going in tomorrow and I need to adjust this after the shop. I'm thinking the new value should be 5.46. Just tried to change the value and the multiplier goes instantly to "Error".

Steve_Hayward_98_Camaro_5800RPM_Shift_01.hpt
    Last edited by MMGT1; 06-07-2020 at 08:56 PM.
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Tuner in Training

Totally lost trying to calibrate this 98 Camaro Speedometer

Quote Originally Posted by MMGT1 View Post
    Got a strange one here. In this one the Gear/Tire is one Value, no option to enter both a gear and tire. Stock is set to 7.28 like I found here in a few threads, but nowhere can I find dealing with a single value. Stock gear in this is a 3.42, verified by both tag and owner. Do I assume that the value is for a 24.931 tire and a 3.42 gear? I just looked at this because a 4.56 gear is going in tomorrow and I need to adjust this after the shop. I'm thinking the new value should be 5.46. Just tried to change the value and the multiplier goes instantly to "Error".

Steve_Hayward_98_Camaro_5800RPM_Shift_01.hpt
    I have the same car. V-6 98 Camaro with the RPO code for a 3.08, Verified the rear ger as a 3.08. Wheel speed sensors read 55 MPH at a GPS 56 MPH which is great but the VSS reads 78 MPH as does the speedo. I see lots of picture on the forums of a Gear/ wizard with lots of boxes for the tire diameter/ rear end ratio,etc. ll I see in mine is what you describe. I have idea what value to put in and because the transmission works okay, (low speed shift points seem to be coming in early because of the VSS misinformation)
    I've done several tunes for this family and I thought that this would be something fairly easy to do. I have been proven wrong. (I'm pretty good at being wrong as I've had years to practice) Anything that could lead me in the right direction would be great. 3.08 rear gear, 235/55/16 tires, and a stock 4L60 for a 98 Camaro convertible with a 3800.
    Is there a way to access the calculator that I keep seeing in the posts? I believe that someone just put in the wrong cluster in this car.