Thread: 2018 f150 3.5

2018 f150 3.5

Hi everyone,

What I've got is a 2018 F150 with a 3.5L. This is my personal truck, I'm actually a GM guy but decided to try a change and I bought this new. I've since started with playing with it, but have zero experience with the EcoBoosts, or Ford at all. I've upgraded the charge cooler, and added an intake kit. I manually measure and fill the tank with an exact E50 mixture. After playing around my best so far is a 13.1 @ 105, which I'm pretty happy with. But I know there is probably a lot left on the table. I'm puzzled why in 1st gear of the line my boost numbers never break above stock numbers. Does anyone have any suggestions for ignition timing? I feel like I'm struggling with ignition the most. Any help or suggestions is appreciated.

Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by highpsi View Post
    Hi everyone,

What I've got is a 2018 F150 with a 3.5L. This is my personal truck, I'm actually a GM guy but decided to try a change and I bought this new. I've since started with playing with it, but have zero experience with the EcoBoosts, or Ford at all. I've upgraded the charge cooler, and added an intake kit. I manually measure and fill the tank with an exact E50 mixture. After playing around my best so far is a 13.1 @ 105, which I'm pretty happy with. But I know there is probably a lot left on the table. I'm puzzled why in 1st gear of the line my boost numbers never break above stock numbers. Does anyone have any suggestions for ignition timing? I feel like I'm struggling with ignition the most. Any help or suggestions is appreciated.

Thanks
    Not sure what weight and trim you have, but 105 MPH is moving.

Theres a few limiters still in place in the tq management area. The max tq vs gear. It might be holding back power.

Hi everyone,

Thanks

Try this one
    Attached Files Attached Files

@highpsi Why did you increase your inter cooler volume that much?

Didn't even see that one, thanks for pointing it out!

Thanks, much appreciated, I'll give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by LastPlace View Post
    @highpsi Why did you increase your inter cooler volume that much?
    And on the charge cooler, the new one is well over double the thickness and end tanks are larger too, so I just roughly doubled the factory size of 15.5L up to 30L. I couldn't find a spec for actual volume anywhere. Do you think I should back it down?

Thanks, much appreciated, I'll give it a go.

And on the charge cooler, the new one is well over double the thickness and end tanks are larger too, so I just roughly doubled the factory size of 15.5L up to 30L. I couldn't find a spec for actual volume anywhere. Do you think I should back it down?
    What you can do is multiply it by 1.75, and fine tune it from there. at 1.75 your just bumping it up 75% from stock volume.

Which intercooler are you running?

Which intercooler are you running?
    Garrett 870702-6001

Garrett 870702-6001
    I would multiply by 1.5, you can also call Garrett and see if they can give you the exact volume over stock.

I would multiply by 1.5, you can also call Garrett and see if they can give you the exact volume over stock.
    I just went and looked on their website again and they list that it's 83% bigger than stock, that spec wasn't there when I bought it.

Advanced Tuner
    I also just noticed that your 'Inferred Octane' is only 87.7.

Was it ever at 91? Should be, with E50. Your OAR is probably '0' and you're not getting all the timing out of it. Most likely from knocking bringing it down.

OAR should be -1.00 and inferred octane should be 91 with high octane.
    Last edited by SVT_Z06; 06-12-2020 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SVT_Z06 View Post
    I also just noticed that your 'Inferred Octane' is only 87.7.

Was it ever at 91? Should be, with E50. Your OAR is probably '0' and your're not getting all the timing out of it.

OAR should be -1.00 and inferred octane should be 91 with high octane.

He modified his spark advance limits, his tune will have a hard time getting to -1.0

I just went and looked on their website again and they list that it's 83% bigger than stock, that spec wasn't there when I bought it.
    83% might not equal 83% "internal" volume increase.

He modified his spark advance limits, his tune will have a hard time getting to -1.0
    Correct I did, I figured I'd rather be in control than it try and test the limit.

83% might not equal 83% "internal" volume increase.
    Agreed, I did reach out to them, haven't heard back on an official volume yet. But I will for sure back down what I had it set at.

Correct I did, I figured I'd rather be in control than it try and test the limit.
    Are you aware that having an OAR of +1.0 causes your truck to run off the Lspi low load tables - OAR 0.0 Lspi mid table - OAR -1.0 Lspi high table?

edit: Disregard all of your Lspi tables are set to 2.0
    Last edited by LastPlace; 06-12-2020 at 03:00 PM.