Thread: Gen 2 coyote swap with 6r80

Potential Tuner

Gen 2 coyote swap with 6r80

I am very new to HP tuners and tuning in general, i had the initial Tune for my car done by a local tuner to help me get started and get a descent base tune for my car or so at least i thought. I was wondering if someone would offer some insights or even just hints at main areas in my tune i should look to adjust. Right now i am having issue under open throttle, the 6r80 will not shift until you let off and pressure is reduced, then it will shift into the next gear(and it does this for every gear)

I have a 2015 coyote with twin 6766 turbos, bosche 210 injectors, boss intake, fully built 8.8 rear with 3.27 gears.

I have attached my tune as well as a log of the pulls(some channels i didn't have added until just recently so i don't have a pull including them, a lot of tranny ones). I will be hitting the track this friday so will add more pulls after that.

Thanks for you help in advance and i greatly appreciate any information that is offered, I can build the car now i just want to be able to tune it as well!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    Your shifts are set at 8000 rpm, how high are you revving this?

Potential Tuner
    So i can adjust those numbers down to 6500(the current tune it's running is set that way) and and get the same results. It never makes it past 6500rpm, but it also never shifts

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by awooso View Post
    So i can adjust those numbers down to 6500(the current tune it's running is set that way) and and get the same results. It never makes it past 6500rpm, but it also never shifts
    If it never shifts then it's probably because it can't reach the point of shift before fuel cut off. I would set the shift points a good bit lower then start moving up from there. Get it shifting first then adjust as needed.

For instance if you set it to 6000 but it shifts at 6500 and you want 6750, then bump it to 6250. Does that make sense?

Also get rid of the (SAE) channels and log the regular ones, they are faster. Also log Trans Commanded Gear, Torque Source, Spark Source. Also some of the other trans stuff if you want like Undriven wheel speed, trans input and output shaft rpm, and the solenoids A,B,C,D . You could make a trans specific xml file with these then take them out later after you get the shifting dialed in but first try my recommendation to go much lower.
    Knock Retard is the reduction or prevention of knock by lowering ignition timing:

(+) Adding Knock Retard = Reducing Timing. PCM is seeing knock.
    (--) Lowering Knock Retard = Increasing Timing. PCM isn't seeing knock.
    __________________________________________________ ________

2014 Mustang GT Premium. VMP Gen2R Supercharged with an FTI 3000rpm Converter. JLT, BMR, Steeda, Viking, etc.
    Don't fix it if it ain't broken | Maximum effort gets maximum results

Potential Tuner
    That does make sense, I will adjust it down to 6000 and add those channels and see what occurs.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by awooso View Post
    That does make sense, I will adjust it down to 6000 and add those channels and see what occurs.
    Yes log the various trans channels so we can make sure the PCM is seeing everything it should from the sensors in order to make the decision to shift, especially since this is a swap!
    Knock Retard is the reduction or prevention of knock by lowering ignition timing:

(+) Adding Knock Retard = Reducing Timing. PCM is seeing knock.
    (--) Lowering Knock Retard = Increasing Timing. PCM isn't seeing knock.
    __________________________________________________ ________

2014 Mustang GT Premium. VMP Gen2R Supercharged with an FTI 3000rpm Converter. JLT, BMR, Steeda, Viking, etc.
    Don't fix it if it ain't broken | Maximum effort gets maximum results

Potential Tuner
    That's a good idea to create a seperate dashboard for just the tranny data logging. I Wansnt sure if you wanted to set those shift rpm points low as I have seen people basically say that those are only there if no other decision(pressure,speed,etc...) Are met. Is that the correct way you should look at that field?

Advanced Tuner
    Grab a stock tune from a 5.0/coyote of the same year. Look the comparison log, specifically in the trans tab at what is different from your tune to the stock tune, there isn't a lot but those shift point numbers immediately jumped out at me based on the problem you have.

Potential Tuner
    I was finally able to get the car shifting, basically by disabling torque based shifting and forcing the shifts based on the PCM RPM limits. Going forward i will trim these down and get the perfect power range figured out and shift points figured out. What are the major benefits of using torque based shift schedule vs RPM? is it more smooth and quicker shifts? Also as i have seen with my current tune there is something off that is causing it not to shift into 2nd(it requests it and puts the pressure on the solenoids but just didn't shift.

I uploaded the last data log before switching torque based shifting off(also the latest tune as i always welcome recommendations)

Thanks again everyone for your replies!
    Attached Files Attached Files