Thread: 04.5 High Altitude Tunes?

04.5 High Altitude Tunes?

Anyone out there have any high altitude tunes that worked well that they may want to share? I am still working towards less smoke up here in the high rockies. Ill share my most recent one here. Still smoking with this tune.

Turbo: s300sxe 63-73 compressor 63/80 super core turbine .83 A/R Twin Scroll Housing Non waste gated/ Turbosmart wastegate with boost elbow at turbo.
    Exhaust: 5" turbo back with resonator and 2 straight through mufflers
    Intake: BD/Volair CAI, have tried full open, open on only the side, and open side and front. No change in smoke.
    Injectors: BMS Exergy 50hp. This is when my smoke and haze got bad. Had tested and installed new Bosch 6.7 feed tubes as well. No leaking and balance rate is great.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2004.5 Cummins.
    Borgwarner 13009097047 s300sxe 63-73 compressor 63/80 super core turbine housing 80mm .83 A/R Twin Scroll Housing,
    50HP BMS/Exergy Injectors
    BD T4 manifold,
    BD CAI,
    5" turbo back exhaust,
    turbosmart ext wastegate,
    BD lift pump with 2 mic filter and h2o separator,
    banks intercooler, Banks intake horn,
    slightly built tranny.......

have you tried maybe removing the resonator? They can cause issues with power and smoke due to flow.

Tuner in Training
    Noah, have you tried changing timing for the different air densities? Densities.PNG

My truck is smokey at lower timing. A few degrees makes a rather large difference in smoke. I haven't been able to do any testing at higher elevations, so I currently have the same timing in all 5 tables.

Tuner
    Where are you at? im in colorado Thornton area. I have an 05 i am working on tuning as well.
    2005 Dodge 2500
    80% over injectors, 5" turbo back exhaust, HP Tuners, ARP head studs.
    Intake, Tater Built Turbo 67/67, Fleece 750 Powerflow CP3.
    2.5" front lvl kit, 35's on Soto 20x10s

Quote Originally Posted by TJ2000 View Post
    Where are you at? im in colorado Thornton area. I have an 05 i am working on tuning as well.
    Frisco. Im at 9k ft. Usually driving 9 to 11000 ft.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucket View Post
    Noah, have you tried changing timing for the different air densities? Densities.PNG

My truck is smokey at lower timing. A few degrees makes a rather large difference in smoke. I haven't been able to do any testing at higher elevations, so I currently have the same timing in all 5 tables.
    I have, but im now just making them all the same so i don't have to guess which table its pulling from. Once i get where i want to be, ill mess with higher ai density tables.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucket View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dom_c13b View Post
    have you tried maybe removing the resonator? They can cause issues with power and smoke due to flow.
    It was the same without the resonator.

Banned
    Air Density Select.png

Using the table in the attached photo eliminates the need to make all air density tables the same for timing, rail pressure, etc. Set that entire table to 1 and the ECM will only use the high air density tables, 2 for med-high air density tables, 3 for med-low air density tables and 4 for low air density tables. 1 table to edit versus many to edit for the same result.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim P View Post
    Air Density Select.png

Using the table in the attached photo eliminates the need to make all air density tables the same for timing, rail pressure, etc. Set that entire table to 1 and the ECM will only use the high air density tables, 2 for med-high air density tables, 3 for med-low air density tables and 4 for low air density tables. 1 table to edit versus many to edit for the same result.
    Got it. Hey Jim, one question regarding smoke and rattle at high altitude. I notice when I add post injection in, the rattle stops. It seems to smoke a bit less and clean up quicker as well. Have you messed with post event tuning much? What might be better? Less or more timing in the post? Should I mess with post event to main event delay at all? Im trying not to screw it up too much.

Current tune attached

Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Noah; 06-19-2020 at 12:05 PM.
    2004.5 Cummins.
    Borgwarner 13009097047 s300sxe 63-73 compressor 63/80 super core turbine housing 80mm .83 A/R Twin Scroll Housing,
    50HP BMS/Exergy Injectors
    BD T4 manifold,
    BD CAI,
    5" turbo back exhaust,
    turbosmart ext wastegate,
    BD lift pump with 2 mic filter and h2o separator,
    banks intercooler, Banks intake horn,
    slightly built tranny.......

Banned
    Try starting with stock post injection and maybe add a small percentage more post injection quantity where you are having smoke trouble and bring it a little closer to the main event in the same area.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim P View Post
    Try starting with stock post injection and maybe add a small percentage more post injection quantity where you are having smoke trouble and bring it a little closer to the main event in the same area.
    Got it. I give that a try. I did try reducing post timing some and it seemed to pick up a little power on the bottom. Could be my imagination though.