Thread: Twin Turbo 5.3 Spark Woes

Twin Turbo 5.3 Spark Woes

All,
    Im having issues getting my timing correct even before boost. I had the tune spot on then i hooked the charge pipes up
    and started having issues. I not sure if the turbos just increased the efficiency but ive pulled roughly 7 degrees of timing across the board trying to help with detonation. Should i keep pulling timing or look into other things?

Symptoms include back firing.

5.3 ,228/230 ,e85 br7ef plugs, twin 60mm turbos ,walbro 450
    Attached Files Attached Files

Your AFR is way off

I know it?s way off in some spots and I?m working in that but even in spots it not far off and I get detonation.

I would rise the octane of the gas to make sure if it's a false knock or not. Than I would change the knock sensors sittings or retard the timing.

It?s e85

Rise your knock sensors multipliers in cruising areas by 5% a time and test it.

I did switch to some 4.3 vortec plug wires for the length recently . I may try to go to a different plug wire .

Senior Tuner
    For power enrichment I would target something closer to 1.25-1.3.

1.13 is too lean for boost, especially on a tune you are still working on dialing it. Your command comes out to 12.5, but only cause your stoich value is 14.12. Make the whole boost enrichment vs map table the same value, no need to blend since it starts at Baro. Then you can set the enable to like 90KPA instead of the 110, just to be certain its got lots of fuel while going into boost and in boost at any RPM.
    Try to keep your VE table smooth from cell to cell. Large jumps or a drop when it should probably go up or vise versa can cause all kinds of issues. This determines the airmass axis of your spark table, so it could be making your spark value jump up or down with out you seeing it in the log. smoothing the VE table really helps prevent that.

You should end up with a VE table that looks similar to the attached Excel sheet.

5.3 3bar VE table.xlsx
    Last edited by murfie; 06-11-2020 at 02:57 AM.

Thanks . I smoothed out my ve and am making the BE adjustments . I will go for a log and report back .

I got my ve pretty close and and adjusted be but I still get kr. I?m going to check the plug wires tmrw . Btw 11.00 at 90kpa just falls on its face . I leaned it back out at low boost and moved my enable back to 105kpa .

Senior Tuner
    Are you actually using a AEM 4110?

Your calibration stoich is 14.12, and the math in HPT for a AEM-4110 is 14.68 for stoich. (voltage/.5+10) which is what you get from this site https://www.aemelectronics.com/files...GO%20Gauge.pdf

Its a small difference, but If you change your stoich in your calibration from 14.12 to 14.68, when you dial in your VE table, you will be aligning 14.68 of the calibration to 14.68 of the scanner WB PID rather than 14.12 to 14.68 putting things slightly off.
    Stoich of E85 is 9.85, but you are probably not looking to get the calibration that accurate and have to deal with the scanner PID math.

If you do decide to make this calibration change, 1.175 would be the same 12.5 commanded PE. Instead of 1.13([email protected]) for a stoich of 14.12, which to me is lean PE even for NA. 1.25([email protected]) should not fall on its face. Stock LS1's run this, and even richer for cat over temp.

Definitely make sure everything is physically good, false knock can't be tuned away with out sensor desensitizing.
    Last edited by murfie; 06-12-2020 at 01:24 AM.

Nice catch on the aem math . It felt like my gauge wasn?t right but now it know it was off . It ended up being a wire arcing through a sleeve . It runs good now . I will adjust the stoich and my enrichment tables . Thanks for the help

Well i thought i had it straightened out. The wire was an issue but after logging again im still getting this detonation. I ordered new plug wires but havent got them yet. I checked all my plugs and the look good. I lowered my timing some more but that didnt seem to help . Any other thoughts on this? My afr error data seems to be inconsistent somewhat also. This is bugging the hell out of me. I may just keep pulling timing and see what happens.

Nova 5.3_228_70lb_e85_6.21 soft spark.hptNova 70lb 228cam e85 run 17.hplNova 5.3_228_70lb_e85_6.21 soft spark.hptNova 70lb 228cam e85 run 17.hpl