Thread: ah laptops...

ah laptops...

i've been using my 15" lenovo g710.. and its a pain.. to big etc..

i purchased a refurbished ebay off lease lenovo t450s (any "s" is fine because it has MUCH better resolution) and much to my surprise it has 2 batteries (internal and external )--- i've run 6hrs at full brightness .. reviews claim 10-12... maybe when new

i wanted i5 (good power management) has i7, FAST clock (has 2.6ghz boost), 8gb of ram (has 12) and MUST have SSD (has just 128)

mine didn't come with windows, so i reinstalled via the microsoft usb boot utility .. and used my OLD laptop windows key (win 8) hollagram sticker on the bottom and it worked

all for $229, its much brighter and clearer.. plus its small rugged and a pleasure..

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by fixit View Post
    i've been using my 15" lenovo g710.. and its a pain.. to big etc..

i purchased a refurbished ebay off lease lenovo t450s (any "s" is fine because it has MUCH better resolution) and much to my surprise it has 2 batteries (internal and external )--- i've run 6hrs at full brightness .. reviews claim 10-12... maybe when new

i wanted i5 (good power management) has i7, FAST clock (has 2.6ghz boost), 8gb of ram (has 12) and MUST have SSD (has just 128)

mine didn't come with windows, so i reinstalled via the microsoft usb boot utility .. and used my OLD laptop windows key (win 8) hollagram sticker on the bottom and it worked

all for $229, its much brighter and clearer.. plus its small rugged and a pleasure..
    Very nice! When those kind of models came out with the internal battery the won't turn on problem was common. IDK if they ever resolved it. If you get into a pickle one day with it and it won't turn on - unplug the AC adapter, take out the external battery and reset the internal battery via the tiny pinhole at the bottom. It should work then. You may have to also reconnect the AC adapter once trying to turn it on.

I'm using an old Lenovo B575 (like 8 yrs old lol) that came with Win7. I swapped in an SSD drive and added memory but it's still a turd and too slow but has been very reliable lol . The longest tuning session I've done is probably 4 hours and it was getting low on battery but I was conservative with brightness.. In a way I like using a disposable laptop for tuning in case one day I break it or something since I'm mobile with it though I would be a little heart broken if something happened to it.

My favorite laptop of all time is the Dell E7250. I've used it at work and fell in love with it. It has everything I want. I refuse to upgrade to the newer ones even if they are a little faster
    Knock Retard is the reduction or prevention of knock by lowering ignition timing:

(+) Adding Knock Retard = Reducing Timing. PCM is seeing knock.
    (--) Lowering Knock Retard = Increasing Timing. PCM isn't seeing knock.
    __________________________________________________ ________

2014 Mustang GT Premium. VMP Gen2R Supercharged with an FTI 3000rpm Converter. JLT, BMR, Steeda, Viking, etc.
    Don't fix it if it ain't broken | Maximum effort gets maximum results

dual battery has been lasting 6hrs.. one downside no hdmi port.. still very happy.. bright too. .
    now if the track would open ..

I've never heard of laptops with external batteries.

I bought a gaming laptop this summer, and it surprises me that even when I watch a movie, the laptop drains very quickly. I would buy an external battery to make the laptop last longer. I decided to install Windows 11 on my new laptop. I tried to activate the operating system with the old key, but I was told that this key had already been used. So I bought a new windows 11 license key at a reasonable price. The licensed version is much more optimized than the pirated version.
    Last edited by ONoland; 12-27-2022 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ONoland View Post
    I bought a gaming laptop this summer, and it surprises me that even when I watch a movie, the laptop drains very quickly. I would buy an external battery to make the laptop last longer. I decided to install Windows 11 on my new laptop. I tried to activate the operating system with the old key, but I was told that this key had already been used. So I bought a new windows 11 license key at a reasonable price. The licensed version is much more optimized than the pirated version.
    Welcome to Digital Chill Mart. We sell cheap license keys for Windows 10, MS office, McAfee Antivirus and more.
    Fantastic. Also super illegal. Also also completely not relevant to the discussion, almost like you might be a bot using a few keywords to auto-generate a response that more gullible readers might not immediately look at and go, 'hey, that's a spambot!'

Tuner in Training
    I am in love with my surface pro for tuning. Lightweight, compact, and can use as a tablet for tuning or with the magnetic keyboard. I had dreamed of being able to tune with a tablet and finally those days are here!

Tuner in Training SolarSupremacy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernEdge View Post
    I am in love with my surface pro for tuning. Lightweight, compact, and can use as a tablet for tuning or with the magnetic keyboard. I had dreamed of being able to tune with a tablet and finally those days are here!
    If you're using the onscreen keyboard instead of a physical one, isn't that going to cause resizing/overlap issues with VCM?

Or do you use something other than the VCM suite?
    Last edited by SolarSupremacy; 01-04-2023 at 04:41 PM. Reason: "VCM" is not spelled "SCM".

Potential Tuner
    Having two batteries is super handy, especially if you're getting a solid 6 hours of full brightness out of it. Those reviews claiming 10-12 hours might have been when it was brand spankin' new, but still, that's pretty impressive. You lucked out with that i7 and fast clock speed. And 12GB of RAM? That's no joke either. Nice move on getting the SSD too, even if it's only 128GB. Trust me, it'll make a world of difference in performance. Reinstalling Windows using your old laptop key was a smart move too. By the way, if you ever need a cheap Windows 10 key, there are some options out there.
    Last edited by JimMark; 10-17-2023 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JimMark View Post
    Having two batteries is super handy, especially if you're getting a solid 6 hours of full brightness out of it. Those reviews claiming 10-12 hours might have been when it was brand spankin' new, but still, that's pretty impressive. You lucked out with that i7 and fast clock speed. And 12GB of RAM? That's no joke either. Nice move on getting the SSD too, even if it's only 128GB. Trust me, it'll make a world of difference in performance. Reinstalling Windows using your old laptop key was a smart move too.
    Quoted so there's a record of what the post was before it gets edited 3 days from now to insert the spam links...