Thread: Differences between ODB2 Scanners?

Potential Tuner

Question Differences between ODB2 Scanners?

Hey all. New to race render, so I am learning.

Looking at the docs here: https://racerender.com/TrackAddict/docs/Interop.html
    There are several scanners recommended for Android. I bought a Veepeek, but I noticed I don't get brake pedal data on it. I learned that it isn't a common parameter available via ODB2, but it may be possible.
    Would upgrading to something like the ODBLink (or something similar) mean that I could obtain the brake position data? I know it depends on the car. I'm driving a 2023 Audi RS3, so it's very new.

I know that you can do a calculated brake position based on g forces, but that isn't as useful during reviews as actual pedal position.

Thanks.

Advanced Tuner
    RaceRender is particularly good at displaying the data that you have in a thoroughly customizable fashion. But if you don't have the data, then RaceRender can't really do much...

The data that you're feeding to RaceRender is going to rely on whatever app/device you're using to record the data in the first place. Some apps can read the data directly (such as the Porsche Track Precision app...at least for Porsches specifically from what I hear) while others can allow you to add it as a custom PID (such as RaceChrono). Some newer cars use a standard PID for braking but OBD2 is primarily used for emissions rather than overall car functions; so braking values aren't usually readily available.

I'm currently in the process of acquiring a RaceCapture Track that I'm planning to pair with SoloStorm for my autocross videos. I'm hoping that the CANBus sniffing that can be done with the RaceCapture would allow me to grab consistent brake values that RaceChrono almost can (but RaceChrono needs to use OBD2 to switch modules for my particular car which greatly reduces the rate to a point that's not exactly usable in a performance setting).

To your specific question: OBDLink brand readers can provide limited access to some channels that might allow access to braking values if your app supports it. I would focus more on the capabilities of the app that you're using instead since that probably has a greater influence on what data can be read than a specific OBD2 reader.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks. I was using TrackAddict to view the ODB2 values, which didn't include the brake pedal data. My plan was to use TrackAddict to record the ODB2 gforce and pedal data, and use the gopro for video and GPS data. I was assuming TrackAddict would display the brake data if it were available to it, and that either my car doesn't output brake pedal data via ODB2, or the scanner doesn't support it.