Thread: 06 mustang 4.6 (02 heater duty cycle question)

Potential Tuner

06 mustang 4.6 (02 heater duty cycle question)

Can the 02 heater duty cycle have an effect on the engine performance. Im asking this because ever since I bought the car (used) the mil light is lit. Its giving me the bank1 and bank2 lean. LTFT on both banks at idle sits at 25%. If I hold the rpms at 2500 for a 10 secs they come down to normal, witch tells me its a vacuum leak. Ive done a smoke test and cant find a leak. I've pulled the bin file from it and compared it agaist a stock bin I downloaded from HPT. The only difference I see is the 02 heater duty cycle table is really messed up compared to the stock bin. I don't think the car has ever been tuned. It has a cold air intake and mufflers. I don't want to start tuning on it till I take care of whatever is making it lean first. The car runs like crap. stumples, backfires in the intake if you step on it at low rpms, Gets worse the hotter it gets.
    I mentioned that the care has a cold air kit on it. Does anybody know if it has to have a tune for the cold air kit?
    Last edited by Jack27; 06-14-2020 at 07:39 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    The file you compared it to is the same PCM strategy? Some intakes need a tune. Backfiring out of intake makes me think you have a cam timing issue.

Potential Tuner
    exactly the same. the only difference is between the 2 is my 02 heater duty cycle is messed up and I don't know why or if its even affecting it but its very strange like the time is .14-.20 sec with a 14-20 duty cycle. The stock bin I downloaded has a time of 0-255 sec and 28-100 duty cycle.

Potential Tuner
    Well after doing some reading Im starting to think my lean problem is the cold air intake. From what Ive read.....If the inlet pipe that has the MAF sensor in it is bigger than the stock one it has the MAF out of calibration. I don't know the size of the stock one but mine looks very big. I will investigate further! I would still like to here any input anyone has on the 02 heater duty cycle. Thanks

Advanced Tuner
    Very strange.... Can you post both files if you don't mind. Also, do you know what intake?

Potential Tuner
    I do not know the brand of the cold air intake. I did look another mustang today that had a cold air intake. His was an aluminum pipe and it was reduced in size were the MAF sensor sits. Mine is plastic and, bigger and didn't have any reductions in size
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Jack27; 06-15-2020 at 06:59 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack27 View Post
    I do not know the brand of the cold air intake. I did look another mustang today that had a cold air intake. His was an aluminum pipe and it was reduced in size were the MAF sensor sits. Mine is plastic and, bigger and didn't have any reductions in size
    Tune labeled Stock 06 mustand 2nd is strategy FBLE0G3 and the file named Jacks 06 mustang is strategy FBLF152.

Potential Tuner
    Oh. I thought if they were both "Spanish oak" they were the same, but I see now. I looked at another one that did have the same strategy number as mine and its 02 heater duty cycle is identical to mine. So why do cars of the same make and model have different strategies?. And thank you sir for replying, I'm new to this. I read a good article about the intake tube size "area" were the MAP sensor sits. I can measure the one on mine but I dont have the stock one to figure the difference in area between the 2 so I can modify my MAP table. Any one know the size or "area" of the stock intake tube at the sensor location. Thanks again momotunes

Advanced Tuner
    put a ticket in to get the function fixed if its not showing correctly

In short, fords dont run operating systems like other manufacturers usually do so the tune file serves the entire binary the ecu operates on with the operating system and all. This has a major advantage as the code executes significantly faster but due to the lack of any of the original ford powertrain engineers back in the 80s having any vision they failed to put a simple #define in the high level langauge when came assembly time causing all the different strategies to be different in areas where they dont need to be. Since the binary serves the entire OS any change they make to the code results in a completely new strategy. Yes in some instances henry made multiple strategies for the same given year make model and options.

Your mixing up map and maf. MAF is the mass airflow sensor which is what you need to dial in. Being that the housing size changed your fuel error should be consistent across the board. Odd that its not.

In any case go multiply the entire y axis by 1.35 to get started then dial it in from there.
    decipha @ EFIDynoTuning
    http://www.efidynotuning.com/

Potential Tuner
    Thank you for the good info. I Originally ment MAF. That what happens when you get old. And thank you for the 1.35. I was really just wanting a good number to start with and I would have had to take a guess at it. Thanks again