Thread: $100 Bounty. 04 GT Auto Odd shifting

Tuner in Training

$100 Bounty. 04 GT Auto Odd shifting

I recently had a dyno tune done on my 2004 mustang gt to clean up a mail order tune i had done year back.
    its cammed, full bolt ons 4.10 gears.

(Note: Car shifts fine butter smooth with Stock, mail order (Brenspeed), and SCT stock can tune)
    Tuner said he didnt touch anything in the transmission tab cause they don't do many fords, I should return transmission part to stock or have someone else look at it cause it was slipping bad.
    When you are cruising and I hit like 20mph and it downshifts from third to second then quickly up shifts and downshifts again. One time I manually downshifted to second at 40 and it went all the way to first (note lockout is 30 and over)
    First thing I did was copy Transmission section from the factory tune over to his tune Fired it up, stick happening, I went through all prior tunes could not get this issue to occur on any other.

I'm attaching few tunes if anyone can solve this mystery ill pay up.

Kaizen stock trans is dyno tune with trans tab copied over.
    Kaizen.hpt Dyno tune (with problems)
    410 gear ratio only is stock tune /w 4.10s
    Bren87firm is mail order tune.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by viprk24; 06-15-2020 at 06:27 PM.

Your clutch fill times are weird looking to me, do you have a 100% stock file you can post? Also contact HPTunners support and tell them your issue as they can and will add more tables if they are required, which i think you're missing a decent amount on the trans side from the looks of it.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by viprk24 View Post
    I recently had a dyno tune done on my 2004 mustang gt to clean up a mail order tune i had done year back.
    its cammed, full bolt ons 4.10 gears.

(Note: Car shifts fine butter smooth with Stock, mail order (Brenspeed), and SCT stock can tune)
    Tuner said he didnt touch anything in the transmission tab cause they don't do many fords, I should return transmission part to stock or have someone else look at it cause it was slipping bad.
    When you are cruising and I hit like 20mph and it downshifts from third to second then quickly up shifts and downshifts again. One time I manually downshifted to second at 40 and it went all the way to first (note lockout is 30 and over)
    First thing I did was copy Transmission section from the factory tune over to his tune Fired it up, stick happening, I went through all prior tunes could not get this issue to occur on any other.

I'm attaching few tunes if anyone can solve this mystery ill pay up.

Kaizen stock trans is dyno tune with trans tab copied over.
    Kaizen.hpt Dyno tune (with problems)
    410 gear ratio only is stock tune /w 4.10s
    Bren87firm is mail order tune.

Your attached tune "410 gear ratio only is stock tune /w 4.10s" shows 3.27 gear ratio? Did the shop that dyno tuned it use SCT or HP Tuners? If they used HP Tuners did they have you return it to stock with the SCT prior to tuning or did they read and edit a tune you had loaded with SCT?

Tuner in Training
    Heres 100% bone stock JaegerWrenching it does have 4.10 gears and the Dyno tuner used one of the mail order ones I couldnt remember which.
    mail orders had it had modifications done to trans felt really wonky. the tune Kaizenstock trans I had took there tune and copied over the trans table from stock tune and just x.83 for each point to correct it for the gears.

momotunes I see that guess i uploaded the one where I forgot to correct the speedometer tab, this isnt cause of problem.

Tuner in Training
    @JaegerWrenching
    @momotunes

Would it help if I took a log and video of what its doing? Note it is still there with the dyno tune with whole transmission set to stock
    It does not have this problem with any of the other tunes.
    Last edited by viprk24; 06-16-2020 at 06:51 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Okay could have been me mixing up what tune was what. So the Dyno tuner used HP Tuners to read your car after you already had the mail order tune loaded onto your car with SCT? Do you still have your X4/X3? I could send you a datalog config file.

Tuner in Training
    I loaded the mail order tune (Brenspeed) with SCT and pulled it off with hptuners Tweaked some trans stuff cause the trans points werent set in mail order, It shifts perfectly both normal and WOT.
    I then had dyno tuner just tune the engine leaving trans alone. After his changes he said theres some slippage possibly Torque converter.
    I copied a Factory tune transmission tab over it was still happening. So I then Flashed the 100% stock tune adjusting the factory tune for 4.10 gears and it ran like new, Shifts perfectly both Normal and aggressive WOT.

Unfortunately my SCT x4 the connector is shorted I don't want to risk bricking the ECU by trying to flash it with that. It still does shift perfectly in the Stock tune changed for 4.10s I found the one that is set for the 4.10s correctly (posted below).

Tuner in Training
    Found some additional information if i manually put it in first and roll up and shift to second then roll up to 35-40 and manually put into drive/3rd with overdrive lockout on it does not slip. So its gotta be something in Drive/automatic shifting.
    Its mainly lowspeed upshift from 20-30mph upshifting. It does seem to shift a little harder and faster at higher speeds but at the lower speeds it kinda comes out of gear revs a little then just grabs.

I managed to get them to send me to pull log is there any indications here?
    Last edited by viprk24; 06-16-2020 at 11:45 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    I'll take a look later tonight. What I would do for now is load the mail order tune since you transmission settings are good and than take the settings from the Dyno tune (MAF, spark, etc) and apply it to the mail order tune. Than flash on the car. It's very possible HPT is missing tables on the transmission side that were adjusted with the mail order and your unable to see them/copy them.

I'll look later tonight.

Advanced Tuner
    Did you post the tune you sent to the tuner because every tune you posted in comparison to kaizen.hpt, the dyno tune file, shows trans adjustments made, and not just to shift points. If he never changed trans why is every other file different lol?

Here's the easiest solution though:
    1.) Pick the file which worked the best for transmission performance, etc. and did not exhibit this problem - make it your new base file.
    2.) Flash that new base file to the car to validate 'it works good', shifts good at any throttle.
    3.) Do a compare to the kaizen.hpt dyno tune file.
    4.) Copy over the Dyno Tune file's Engine adjustments (one at the time manually) to the new base file. It's really not that much, you can do it!
    5.) Voila!

It's completely possible that the kaizen.hpt tune file got corrupted or there's an invisible variable and you are spinning your wheels for nothing.

You have all of the -working- pieces of the puzzle. Put them together!! I wish you success and will be checking to see your progress.

P.S. At worse it will fail again but you will learn valuable information. If it does: have you considered it could be a mechanical issue in the trans? Changing engine power output even at part throttle can expose weaknesses in other components. I can elaborate on the possibilities but let's see if you do the above resolves it.
    Knock Retard is the reduction or prevention of knock by lowering ignition timing:

(+) Adding Knock Retard = Reducing Timing. PCM is seeing knock.
    (--) Lowering Knock Retard = Increasing Timing. PCM isn't seeing knock.
    __________________________________________________ ________

2014 Mustang GT Premium. VMP Gen2R Supercharged with an FTI 3000rpm Converter. JLT, BMR, Steeda, Viking, etc.
    Don't fix it if it ain't broken | Maximum effort gets maximum results

Advanced Tuner
    If your driver demand tables aren't right or the torque requested isn't right it will tell your transmission its seeing torque that doesn't exist which will cause the converter to unlock and start slipping in anticipation for say like a power adder. So best bet is to leave spark tables and airflow tables alone on the custom dyno tune and turn all you driver demand and torque source tables back to the Breenspeed tune. see what that does.

Advanced Tuner
    If your driver demand tables aren't right or the torque requested isn't right it will tell your transmission its seeing torque that doesn't exist which will cause the converter to unlock and start slipping in anticipation for say like a power adder. So best bet is to leave spark tables and airflow tables alone on the custom dyno tune and turn all you driver demand and torque source tables back to the Breenspeed tune. see what that does.

Advanced Tuner

corrected tune

corrected_spark_fuel_trans.hpt here's the corrected tune for you. Load it up and see what it does, btw the tuner at the dyno shop did change a bunch of stuff in the transmission. I looked at it using the Beta version of hptuners. you may have to download that version make sure its up to date and load it to your car with that.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronson View Post
    It won't unlock the converter in anticipation of a power adder.... it unlocks the converter and creates slip to meet that ridiculous amount of requested torque. After all torque converters use "slip" or the RPM difference between the pump and turbine to multiply the torque being output via the reactor into the transmission. Putting big power through a converter will make it slip even more or possibly too much, therefor you'd probably be smart to add some pressure to the TCC feed forward table to maintain that optimum RPM difference between the pump and turbine to stay in the maximum torque multiplication area of that specific torque converter. It's a balance of not too much slip or you'll over heat the fluid and not transfer as much power as you can, and too little won't give you the maximum torque multiplication.
    Last edited by JaegerWrenching; 06-21-2020 at 05:31 AM.