Thread: 2014 ZL1 reduce timing in high rpm

Tuner

2014 ZL1 reduce timing in high rpm

I am tuning ZL1 stroker engine as the owner said (the owner don't know the spec of his engine) CAI- headers- pulley and camshaft stage 2.5- ID1050x injectors. I am using Daytona Wego 4 for the wideband. I am facing a problem where the timing is removed around 7deg just before 6000rpm no matter what I change in the tune. I cannot find what is removing the timing. The car was previously tuned with another tuner and the AFR was way off. Does anyone have any idea what is the problem? I spent 4 hours on the dyno with 7 pulls trying to figure it out and still same problem. I do not feel comfortable for more useless pulls with heavily modified engine so. I am suspecting a tire slip on the dyno, can the slip cause this problem. He has old M/T ET street tires.
    Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

Belt slip at high rpm I can see the boost dropping at around 6k rpm. Good Luck!

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.z0611 View Post
    Belt slip at high rpm I can see the boost dropping at around 6k rpm. Good Luck!
    Thanks. So what about the timing being removed at high rpm I don't think it's related to the belt slip. I would appreciate any input.

I would add all the spark advance on the channel config to have an solid idea for what going on.

i believe the ting is removed because of the belt slip. fix that issue and try again.

Tuner
    I know exactly what your problem is. It's not belt slip. That tune is crap.....Your map limit in the tune is set to 200kpa. So, as soon as you hit 200kpa. Guess what happens..........engine slows way down. (Spark, fuel , airflow) It's all in your log. That tune has a lot of problems. Just curious, why is it being forced in open loop with dynamic airflow jacked way up with stock VVE table?
    Last edited by ABADZL1; 06-17-2020 at 06:14 PM.

RPS Twin Carbon Clutch
    Kook's Headers
    Ported Supercharger
    Cold Air Inductions cai
    ID850's
    GPTuning 2.5 Cam
    9.1 Lower 2.5 Upper

Quote Originally Posted by ABADZL1 View Post
    I know exactly what your problem is. It's not belt slip. That tune is crap.....Your map limit in the tune is set to 200kpa. So, as soon as you hit 200kpa. Guess what happens..........engine slows way down. That tune has a lot of problems. Just curious, why is it being forced in open loop with dynamic airflow jacked way up?
    I noticed this yesterday, but I have never worked on a zl1 or a ctsv so I had no idea that it could reduce the boost and timing. Thanks for pointing that out!

Just curious why the tune says it's a 6.2L if it is stroked? If stroked it is not correct.
    TB replaced?
    MAF is not correct.
    VVE is off.
    If this really is a ZL1 you should log IAT2 and MAT. if IAT is really 126 most likely MAT is in the 180s and that is an issue and pulling your timing.

As for [ECM] 34971 - MAP Estimated Max: Estimated maximum MAP value. It is not used for timing calculations. You can test and validate. Set it to 150 you will not see any timing pulled after reading 150 and beyond.

Need to log all of the PIDs related to spark. Then you will know for certain what is pulling timing.
    Last edited by jsllc; 06-18-2020 at 01:02 AM.
    2012 ZL1 - Maggie Heartbeat, Port & Polish Heads, Custom Cam, Custom rotating assembly, steel sleeved LS9, No NOS and No water meth. 16psi
    810rwhp and 820rwtq 91 Octane 6400 rpm
    948rwhp and 951rwtq 105 Octane 6400 rpm
    999rwhp and 997rwtq on 60% Ethanol 6400 rpm

Advanced Tuner
    I think ABADZL1 is talking about the boost disable.
    ENGINE > TORQUE MANAGEMENT > SUPERCHARGER > BOOST DISABLE > MAP DISABLE.
    With too low of a Map Disable value, the boost controller will start to dump boost through the bypass if it passes the set value. Mine did exactly this around 5500rpm until I bumped it up to 36 psi.

Quote Originally Posted by marksrig View Post
    I think ABADZL1 is talking about the boost disable.
    ENGINE > TORQUE MANAGEMENT > SUPERCHARGER > BOOST DISABLE > MAP DISABLE.
    With too low of a Map Disable value, the boost controller will start to dump boost through the bypass if it passes the set value. Mine did exactly this around 5500rpm until I bumped it up to 36 psi.
    Unless there is something new. The log says it keeps going down even when MAP is well below 200. But you point out the problem. Without specifics hard to know.

However, I do know for absolute certainty that the stock blower will not keep up with a stroked engine. My tvs2300 spinning at 24k cannot keep up. Boost trails off above 5800. Power flatlines
    Last edited by jsllc; 06-18-2020 at 09:54 AM.
    2012 ZL1 - Maggie Heartbeat, Port & Polish Heads, Custom Cam, Custom rotating assembly, steel sleeved LS9, No NOS and No water meth. 16psi
    810rwhp and 820rwtq 91 Octane 6400 rpm
    948rwhp and 951rwtq 105 Octane 6400 rpm
    999rwhp and 997rwtq on 60% Ethanol 6400 rpm