Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stand Alone Tune for 2011 5.3 with E38 ECU

Tuner in Training

Stand Alone Tune for 2011 5.3 with E38 ECU

I am putting a 5.3 into an old CJ7 and I know enough to be dangerous. I have built a bench harness so i could read the ECU into HP Tuners. The downloaded tune is attached. What do I need to turn off to make this puppy start once i have the motor between the frame rails? I have the pedal from the Silverado so i will be using the original pedal and throttle body. Everything is stock, hoping that will make this go easier. I am mating it to a manual transmission so i need to make sure its not looking for a TCM or anything. I am also only running the front O2s as there won't be any Cats or a reason for a second set of O2s.

Any help is appreciated!

2011 Silverado 5.hpt

I wouldn’t mind being apart of this, let me know if I can help

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Charles View Post
    Would love to have help. I've been watching videos and all I see are people tuning older Gen III motors and they primarily talk about the tables because they changed a cam or something. There really isn't alot on stock tunes. Also I have seen that the Vats and Security should be disabled, but my ECU didn't have those in them. The motor must have come from a base model truck with no frills. It also appears my donor was already a manual so i don't know if we need to change anything there. Just a little assistance would be nice.

Click the OS tab, your VATS stuff in there.

This was an AUTO truck, you don't have the factory transmission hooked up so you couldn't read the TCM inside the transmission. It would have been a 6L80e truck, so not a base model.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Click the OS tab, your VATS stuff in there.

This was an AUTO truck, you don't have the factory transmission hooked up so you couldn't read the TCM inside the transmission. It would have been a 6L80e truck, so not a base model.
    When I click the OS tab nothing comes up. I get a blank window. Do i need the TCM to make the tune?

Blank OS.JPG

Tuner in Training
    Ok I just did a google search and I needed to be in advanced to see the OS and tons of other stuff. Now this is making more sense.

Engine:Fuel:Temperature Control: Disabled COT - No Cats on my build
    Engine:Fuel:Flex Fuel: Disabled Flex Fuel
    Trans: ECM Trans Type to Manual
    Engine Diag: I turned off anything that said O2 Sensor 2
    Speedo: Disabled Wheel Speed Output
    System:General: Disabled Clutch Interlock - I don't have a clutch sensor.

What else do i need to look at? Any issues with any of the above? I still didn't see anything about security. I thought there was a security that needs to be disabled.

VATS stands for Vehicle Anti Theft System. That is the security. Remember that doing a VATS removal requires a write entire, only doing a write calibration only will not make it work.

Don't change the transmission drop down to manual, it doesn't work like that.

Under the engine diag tab you need to disable the cat test and post o2 sensor test if those are in there too.

To keep things simple here, you want the MAF sensor in the same diameter intake pipe as the factory intake. This means you won't have fueling that is all over the place because you changed the intake size.

Ben can be a really good help too, he knows his stuff if you want help from him on setting things up and making them work good for a swap like this.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Leaving the Trans at automatic makes me think it will look for the TMC. Good to know on the intake.

It can't look for it, if it's not there.

The only way to make this vehicle a manual would be to flash the computer with a manual file from the get go. The drop down menu doesn't change anything.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    It can't look for it, if it's not there.

The only way to make this vehicle a manual would be to flash the computer with a manual file from the get go. The drop down menu doesn't change anything.
    So are you saying i need to flash the computer with a file from a vehicle with a manual transmission in order for it to run right? Sorry for all the newb questions I just want to understand.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Huck271 View Post
    So are you saying i need to flash the computer with a file from a vehicle with a manual transmission in order for it to run right? Sorry for all the newb questions I just want to understand.
    Anyone?

It should still run as it is.

Was just saying that if you wanted the file to truly start out as a manual, it would need a manual OS to begin with.

Advanced Tuner
    Disable "Starter Fault Checks" under OS...
    Daily Driver= 2003 BMW 330xi
    Weekend Cruiser= 2009 Pontiac G8 GT (Vararam, TSP LS3 N/A Stage 1, OBX, CTS-V converter, MagnaFlows w/ J-Pipes, 160 t-stat)
    Project Car= 1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS (LQ4 w/ Gen 4 Rods, LS3 heads, turbo...)
    Truck= 2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT LY5 4x4

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydubb71 View Post
    Disable "Starter Fault Checks" under OS...
    Thanks!

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks!
    Did that help?

Tuner in Training
    Without the manual OS, the speedo and what the ecm thinks for speed will never read correct. some off throttle transitions, such as coasting, may be weird. A speedo may not matter in a CJ but in coast and off throttle situations that is a b... Before you worry about that though, the swap should start and be able take throttle to go around the block with correct injectors specced, the vats and starter fault checks off, if engine, ecm, fuel system other items matched/similar... Generally speaking...
    I had to switch to a manual OS and found a place in Minnesota that sent me an ecm with the requested OS programmed and some modifications (VaTs off etc) for a lot cheaper than anyone else. From there, it?s probably fun matching up truck ETC maps or something
    Last edited by Carbon; 06-21-2020 at 10:02 PM.

Tuner in Training
    haven't fired up the engine yet. I will let you know when i do. Still reworking the harness.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
    Without the manual OS, the speedo and what the ecm thinks for speed will never read correct. some off throttle transitions, such as coasting, may be weird. A speedo may not matter in a CJ but in coast and off throttle situations that is a b... Before you worry about that though, the swap should start and be able take throttle to go around the block with correct injectors specced, the vats and starter fault checks off, if engine, ecm, fuel system other items matched/similar... Generally speaking...
    I had to switch to a manual OS and found a place in Minnesota that sent me an ecm with the requested OS programmed and some modifications (VaTs off etc) for a lot cheaper than anyone else. From there, it?s probably fun matching up truck ETC maps or something
    I am less worried about the speedo and more worried about the ECM. When you say switch to a manual OS is this something I can do or do I need an advanced version of HP Tuners? I am using everything from the donor vehicle, and harness is staying stockish just removing sensors i have turned off and the trans plug, VSS plug, etc. my transfer case has a manual speed sensor that i believe can be adapted to provide a signal the ECU can read. Is this the right path to be going down?

Advanced Tuner
    I am less worried about the speedo and more worried about the ECM. When you say switch to a manual OS is this something I can do or do I need an advanced version of HP Tuners? I am using everything from the donor vehicle, and harness is staying stockish just removing sensors i have turned off and the trans plug, VSS plug, etc. my transfer case has a manual speed sensor that i believe can be adapted to provide a signal the ECU can read. Is this the right path to be going down?
    To be able to flash a Manual calibration you need another tool like GM MDI or tech2, then start from there.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Charles View Post
    I tried PM'ing you about something quite similar, but your pm's are full.