Thread: 10r80 over temp leaks

10r80 over temp leaks

So I client of mine brought in a 17 raptor. 3.5 ecoboost with a 10r80. I encountered a problem where his transmission is leaking. The dealer states the trans is overheating and causing it to vent the fluid out. I left the trans mostly stock just added about 5-7 psi to the boost pressures and zeroed the tc slip. stock shift points stock tc lock up time and rate.
    2017 mustang gt

Have you logged it overheating?

I would get the client's engine and transmission control modules flashed with the latest calibration from ford IDS and use that as your base for his tune.

He had already gotten the update for the hard shifts prior to me tuning it. and no I haven't logged it overheating. when I test drove it everything was fine in the test drive so we shipped it. I did lower the boost based on charge temps. we live in az so iats were above 100 as it is. I flashed it back to stock before he took it in to the dealer. he's supposed to be back today with it we will see. I'm just trying to see if anyone has had asimilar experience. I have pushed the 6r80 a lot harder than I did on this 10r80 and never had a problem with temps and leaks. I did go over some raptor forums and apparently its sort of a common thing and ford has no fix. just trying to rule out if its tune related or mechanical. I'll update as I move forward. he might not even want to flash the tune back on.
    2017 mustang gt

Advanced Tuner
    The 10R80 is more troublesome than the 6R80 eh? Who knew
    Knock Retard is the reduction or prevention of knock by lowering ignition timing:

(+) Adding Knock Retard = Reducing Timing. PCM is seeing knock.
    (--) Lowering Knock Retard = Increasing Timing. PCM isn't seeing knock.
    __________________________________________________ ________

2014 Mustang GT Premium. VMP Gen2R Supercharged with an FTI 3000rpm Converter. JLT, BMR, Steeda, Viking, etc.
    Don't fix it if it ain't broken | Maximum effort gets maximum results

We are going to install the trans thermostat bypass valve and go from there. he also stated the ect were hitting 240 degrees after going wot for a few but would instantly cool down afterwards. So makes me wonder what is actually going on. here in az his charge temps were staying completely hot. 160-190 during pulls. I lowered the psi to 14-12 above 140-150 mct. but I guess its still too much. and if that's the case of the engine temps climbing like that.
    2017 mustang gt

240 ect isn't uncommon when pushing over 2.0 load.

They need an inter cooler and 170 thermostat

That trans is a pain in the ass, Ford blew a lot of them up during development trying to get them tuned right.

Advanced Tuner
    Check for a clogged vent tube or blocked transcooler. getting the trans hot wont make it leak. You can also check and see if its overfilled with that hexhead where a dicstick tube would be on the passenger side. its an internal dipstick. Usually on the newer fords they use cylinder head temp not coolant temp so if youre running it hard the cylinder head temp would be 10-15 degrees higher then the coolant, kinda like in the coyotes.