Thread: New guy from FL. What wideband to get?

Tuner in Training

New guy from FL. What wideband to get?

Ok so I've been reading here for awhile watching tons of youtube videos. I owned a MPVI for 4 or 5 years and paid a guy to remote tune my boosted gmt800 silverado and my mild built lq9 swapped manual trans gmt800 Tahoe. Hes been great and I have no complaints about his tuning services except I need to man up and learn myself.

My problem is this, I have 3 gmt800 trucks I'd like to tune, a 2011 Tacoma, 2013 Veloseter and who knows what else I may acquire. I have been using an AEM 4110 wide band patched through the AC analog signal to tune log my silverado and Tahoe but I hate logging with the AC off and it just feels ghetto. I recently acquired an AEM UEGO can bus setup but it won't work with my gmt800 stuff.

So what's the best thing for me to buy? I'd like something I can temporarily setup in any of my vehicles to accurately log AFR that doesn't require hacking an EGR or AC sensor.

Am I crazy and nothing of the sort exists?
    I've seen some tuning shops run something in the tail pipe, tape the wire down and run it into the cab.

I tried searching the subject so any help would be appreciated!

Using the EGR would stop the AC from not working but I'm sure you know that.

You can use a serial adapter to run the wideband as well on a standard interface.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Cheese and rice you're everywhere!

I guess what I'm looking for is a way to run a single wide band on multiple vehicles without hacking factory wiring or having to change math parameters in the scanner.

Forgive my ignorance as I've only been to a dyno once many years ago but whats that auto-colonoscopy device they use to read AFR?

Tuner in Training
    I see clamps like this but was not sure if they are accurate when used with an AEM 4110 and Bosch 4.9 sensor since typically you want to run the sensor close to the collector.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/i...kaAvY3EALw_wcB

Potential Tuner
    I have that clamp and it works decent no major issues. The finger screw it uses I welded a bolt to it making it a T. It likes to vibrant loose on road test. But to be fair most of those styles do. Just make sure you crank down on it before you go for a drive.

On all the vehicles I tune I use an adapter to power the wideband via the 12v power outlet and then just remove one of the rear 02 sensors. It's always worked pretty well for me. I then just connect the sensor analog ground and power to the pro-link and off we go.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzo31773 View Post
    I have that clamp and it works decent no major issues. The finger screw it uses I welded a bolt to it making it a T. It likes to vibrant loose on road test. But to be fair most of those styles do. Just make sure you crank down on it before you go for a drive.
    Have you used it with vehicles that have cats? Will that mess up the readings?

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by dantheman1540 View Post
    Have you used it with vehicles that have cats? Will that mess up the readings?
    yeah ive used it on cat equip vehicles. no worries. On cammed vehicles it will read lean at idle but as soon as you get any exhaust flow above idle it reads true.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartMorrisonv View Post
    Hi, nice to meet you. Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to your question , but I decided to welcome you. Btw, I'm new to this forum, too.
    Thanks looks like your new too so welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by gonzo31773 View Post
    yeah ive used it on cat equip vehicles. no worries. On cammed vehicles it will read lean at idle but as soon as you get any exhaust flow above idle it reads true.
    Great info thanks!