Thread: Duty Cycle on 2006 Dodge

Potential Tuner

Duty Cycle on 2006 Dodge

Hello,

I tried to create a duty cycle graph by making the channels and using the Math function to put a duty cycle in the graph area, but it does not plot a line in the timeline. Does anyone know how to do this. I followed the you tube videos, but all of them were for LS engines. Maybe diesel needs another item in the channels to calculate?20-06-15 19-37-32 race tune pull.hpl
    Last edited by nbdiesel1; 06-18-2020 at 09:45 AM.

Banned
    Duty cycle of what?

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim P View Post
    Duty cycle of what?
    Sorry Injector Duty Cycle.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by nbdiesel1 View Post
    Sorry Injector Duty Cycle.
    I don't think I've ever seen anyone mention injector duty cycle when tuning a diesel application. This might be due to the fact that if you were to try tuning based off of the traditional gasoline application of running to a max duty cycle of say 85% or 90%, you'd have blown your diesel engine long before getting there.

Your window for the injection event is much, MUCH shorter on a diesel than it is on a gasoline engine application. Typically, you won't see much beyond 3.2 ms (3,200 uSec) of injector pulsewidth on a diesel (and that's considered very heavy fueling) whereas you could see 30+ ms (30,000+ uSec) on injector pulse on a gas app.

So, I would suggest at least brushing up on the theory of diesel engine dynamics before attempting to tune one.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by B00STJUNKY View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen anyone mention injector duty cycle when tuning a diesel application. This might be due to the fact that if you were to try tuning based off of the traditional gasoline application of running to a max duty cycle of say 85% or 90%, you'd have blown your diesel engine long before getting there.

Your window for the injection event is much, MUCH shorter on a diesel than it is on a gasoline engine application. Typically, you won't see much beyond 3.2 ms (3,200 uSec) of injector pulsewidth on a diesel (and that's considered very heavy fueling) whereas you could see 30+ ms (30,000+ uSec) on injector pulse on a gas app.

So, I would suggest at least brushing up on the theory of diesel engine dynamics before attempting to tune one.
    Thank you for the response. I do not plan on tuning anything yet, just data logging and seeing whats going on from there. Thats why I was asking. Thank you again.

Banned
    Injector duty cycle definitely not worth mentioning on a diesel. Consider the 3200microsecond injector open time a rough ballpark of max effort on a stock 5.9L, turning 3000rpms at that pulsewidth is only 8% duty cycle.

Banned

Banned
    That math PID in the above attached photo should be renamed to Main Injection Injector Duty Cycle %. It?s not factoring in pilot and post events.