Thread: LY6 SD mode rough idle and limp mode

Potential Tuner

LY6 SD mode rough idle and limp mode

New to tuning. I just recently bought a truck that was an LS swapped 2009 LY6 into a 71 C10, Gen 4, E38. Stock engine (deleted) with cold air intake and speed engineering headers. Not using a wideband, yet. Had super high trims (25%+) but brought those down with MAF calibration. Trying to do VE calibration and it goes into CL-FAULT and limp mode right after start up. No throttle response and rough idle. Have watched Goat Rope Garage and with narrowbands he doesnt mention to turn the MIL's off. I have tried both ways but, maybe i am confused as the proper procedure to get into SD mode. However, I did develop a P0108 MAP code during MAF cal. Would this create the limp mode in SD? Or is there something else along with the MAP sensor that needs fixed? Any help would be great.
    Attached Files Attached Files

The MAF isn't failed in that tune. You need to do that first to tune the VVE.

You would set the MAF fail high to 2hz, low fail to 1hz. Set the high/low count threshold to like 1. Set the test ert min to 0 and the test enable time to 0. Lastly set the 3 MAF dtc's to MIL on first error. Now it should be in speed density. You can also log the MAF sensor status in the scanner to make sure it says failed.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Awesome! Thanks for the reply. I've been watching videos and reading online but, never come across these extra steps. I will give it a try today.

Potential Tuner
    I did these changes you suggested but it still idles rough and no throttle response. Logging the MAF sensor shows -4-? not sure if it should say fail? Smells very rich. I ordered a MAP sensor but it won't be here for a couple days(northern part of Canada) Amazon was half the price as the dealership. Do I need to change O2 readiness and LTFT Min Max ECT's as well?

There is a separate channel that should be called MAF status or something like that. When logged it will say something like "No Fail" or "Failed".

If code P0103 is not shown in the DTC's when you pull them up, it won't be in speed density.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Mass airflow sensor state is what I added. It shows "No Fail" before start up and after start "-4-". But it is not showing P0103 yet. There is another MiL in the DTC, P1101 "Mas airflow sensor out of self test range" that is showing MIL on second error. Should it be left alone or changed? I added my current tune for reference. The second VVE calibration file(947.4) is the current one. Don't know how to remove the wrong one. Thanks for your help, by the way.
    Last edited by 71C10LY6; 06-20-2020 at 04:27 PM.

Potential Tuner
    So I let it idle longer and now I have the P0103 code but, P0068 "MAP/MAF Throttle position correlation", showed up as well. Maybe the P0108 is buggering me up and have to wait for a new MAP sensor. Also getting codes P0122 & P0223 so not really sure were to start.
    Last edited by 71C10LY6; 06-20-2020 at 06:13 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Hi 5FDP, Just some information sharing. I just replaced my MAP sensor and it cleared by MAP and throttle codes. Now, with your instructions, the truck will go into SD mode (MAF Failed). Data log on my way to work tomorrow. Thanks again for your help.