Thread: Adding VVT to a non VVT E38 (07-13 silverado)

Tuner in Training

Adding VVT to a non VVT E38 (07-13 silverado)

Besides the physcial wiring to the correct 2 pins in the ECM, is adding VVT functionality to an E38 as simple as changing the drop down for it?

So, I picked up a 2007.5 silverado (E38 Gen IV) with a trashed 5.3L that has AFM/DOD but not VVT. I picked up an L92 out of an 08 Escalade which has no AFM, but does have VVT. Obviously, it will be easy/advantageous to remove the AFM from the tune, but I want to actually KEEP the VVT of the 6.2L since this is a truck. I took a gamble that it could be done off of 1 or 2 comments I saw around various forums and actually ordered a GPI Low Lift truck cam and new compatible phaser. As I'm putting the motor together though, I'm having some doubt about whether this is doable. 99%+ of the posts are about deleting VVT, not adding it. This is one of the posts I could find from the 'competing product' forum:

"I have an e38 2011 L77 (non VVT) and yes I did enable the cam phasers by specifying one did exist on the intake, and for the most part works great.
    Only problem is VVT spark table doesn't work, so I'm contemplating migrating to e38 2013 L99 (VVT) OS to enable the VVT spark table."

But that's about a later ECM and the post degrades into talk about OS swaps which is not something I want to get into. I think the OS swap piece is only in reference to the spark timing piece of it which I can't yet fathom why I would need. I feel like the cam phasing will get 90% of the VVT benefit on the WOT parts of the map at least. I could see how VVT spark timing is important for the OEM part-load emissions piece, but I'm not going after that.

Anyways, I'll hopefully find out in the next week or so how this goes, but I was really hoping to see if anyone had comments on this.

Tuner in Training
    Okay, so I've found some threads like this that are not encouraging:
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...&highlight=VVT

But, I'm not exactly sure what that guy's combination was to begin with. It looks like it was an E67, but he was trying to get it to work with the 'wrong' transmission so was having problems.

This worries me because while I know the 07/08 Escalade had an E38 and VVT, they had a 6l80e. My 07.5 Silverado has a 4l60 of some sort. But at the end of the day, I'm not looking to OS swap to an Escalade version, so I can't think this matters.

I've looked in my tune and the dropdown is there to enable the intake VVT, I'm just not certain if the PCM will start doing something with that and outputting the correct signals on the pins. My source of hope is that it looks like the 07.5 Silverado and the 07 Escalade use the exact same PCM (12597121). My doubt is just whether the PCM must be running an Escalade OS for the VVT pins to be active.

Potential Tuner
    I had a 2007 Suburban with a 5.3L AFM and swapped in a later 6.0L with VVT. I enabled it via the drop down, as you mentioned, and it worked, kinda. It never worked properly, and was more of an on/off switch for full advance/full retard rather than properly controlled. I'll be honest...I don't recall for sure what I did to make it work. I know I started with a tune for a 2007 Suburban 2500 which has a 6.0L with VVT, and got it working that way. But I believe there is more to it than that. Before I did a whole lot with it, I sold the suburban and got a Denali, so...I'm sorry I can't offer a lot more.

Other than, you are correct, it doesn't really work properly.

Tuner in Training
    Interested in this as well. I'm working with slightly newer stuff, since my components are all in the 2010-2014 range.

I'll be starting out with a 2014 Camaro LS3 e38 from a manual transmission car. This will be driving a 2010 5.3 truck engine with VVT. If all goes as hoped, I'll have a completely functional manual transmission on a stock 5.3 with VVT. Time will tell...