Thread: F150 transmission tuning help (first time poster)

Potential Tuner

F150 transmission tuning help (first time poster)

Hello everyone, please bear with me as I undoubtedly will reveal that I am a noob.

I would like to know if HPtuners is able to program the transmission of a 2013 F150 with a six speed auto? What I am need to accomplish is to alter the gear that is manually selected with the sift lever. "D" should remain normal, however shifting down to "3" should select 5th. Then levering into "2" would take 4th, levering into "1" would take 3rd gear. Is that possible?

The pickup has a 3.7L V6 and has the power needed. The issue comes when towing a very small R-Pod trailer, the transmission is shifting too much. It would be nice to pull in 5th or 4th and leave it there.

Thank you kindly!

Potential Tuner
    I sure would appreciate help with this. Is there a better place to ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Phillthefarmer View Post
    Hello everyone, please bear with me as I undoubtedly will reveal that I am a noob.

I would like to know if HPtuners is able to program the transmission of a 2013 F150 with a six speed auto? What I am need to accomplish is to alter the gear that is manually selected with the sift lever. "D" should remain normal, however shifting down to "3" should select 5th. Then levering into "2" would take 4th, levering into "1" would take 3rd gear. Is that possible?

The pickup has a 3.7L V6 and has the power needed. The issue comes when towing a very small R-Pod trailer, the transmission is shifting too much. It would be nice to pull in 5th or 4th and leave it there.

Thank you kindly!
    This cannot be done with HPTuners unfortunately.

Tuner
    Wouldn't sport mode suit you better when towing? You can mess with your OSS shift points so tranny hangs longer in a gear. Theres a spread sheet on this forum that takes rpm inputs and converts to OSS for shifting. I have used this spreadsheet on my 6R80 to get my tranny where I want it. Works good.
    Last edited by rryanfla; 06-24-2020 at 12:07 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by rryanfla View Post
    Wouldn't sport mode suit you better when towing? You can mess with your OSS shift points so tranny hangs longer in a gear. Theres a spread sheet on this forum that takes rpm inputs and converts to OSS for shifting. I have used this spreadsheet on my 6R80 to get my tranny where I want it. Works good.
    Thank you for responding!

By sport mode do you mean tow haul? The button on the shift lever? Would you be so kind as to link me to this spread sheet? Where can I learn about OSS, what it is etc.?

Sounds promising, thank you!!

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by JaegerWrenching View Post
    This cannot be done with HPTuners unfortunately.
    Thank you for the reply

Potential Tuner
    Is this https://forum.hptuners.com/attachmen...9&d=1426553709 this correct spreadsheet converter?

Tuner
    Thats it. You need to open it in excel so you can play around with it. You can change either OSS or RPMs and it will modify the other value. Worked good for me. Not familiar with 6R80 setup in the F150 and dont have my tuning computer with me on the road. I have a couple F150 tunes that I will look at when I get home. Do you have sport mode or paddle shifters? Take a look in the repository, there are a lot of F150 tunes in there. Maybe one will suit you, if it does just open your tune and compare It and copy over changes.

Tuner
    OSS is output shaft speed. Your tranny stuff will be in OSS not RPM. Play around with the spread sheet. Make small changes as its easy to get tranny out of whack. I did percentage increase, ie 5%, 8% etc to shift tables up shift/downshift. O also added that percentage to torque converter clutch too. I looked at those tables for a while before I made any changes as they are easy to screw up. Hope it helps
    Last edited by rryanfla; 06-24-2020 at 10:50 PM.

Tuner
    I looked in repository, nothing on the 3.7 but theres a tranny tune for a 5.0 6R80 you can download and use as a reference ....

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by rryanfla View Post
    I looked in repository, nothing on the 3.7 but theres a tranny tune for a 5.0 6R80 you can download and use as a reference ....
    Noob question, I do not know why there are 15 rows of data on the spreadsheet, why not one? Is the vertical scale something like torque or speed or gas pedal position?

Thanks in advance

Tuner
    Yes, pedal position vs OSS