Thread: Race Render Ultimate 3.7.3 & GoPro 8 GPS Data

Potential Tuner

Race Render Ultimate 3.7.3 & GoPro 8 GPS Data

Hi guys!

Long time user of Race Render. I just ordered a GoPro 8 Black. It has GPS data and some other data (not sure yet what it all has). Question, will Race Render Ultimate read the GPS data from it?

Best & Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by marvin-miller View Post
    Hi guys!

Long time user of Race Render. I just ordered a GoPro 8 Black. It has GPS data and some other data (not sure yet what it all has). Question, will Race Render Ultimate read the GPS data from it?

Best & Thanks!
    Yes, RaceRender is able to extract GPS coordinates from most GoPro videos (if the camera supports it, which the GoPro 8 Black does). From that, RaceRender can calculate speed and G-force measurements as well (I think...). This might not be as accurate as recording data separately on a phone through an app like TrackAddict and definitely wouldn't be as accurate as an external GPS receiver hooked up to the same app (some are much better than others...), but it would still give you some data that you can overlay, and you can fully customize how it would look.

When you add the video to RaceRender, it will first look to see if that video is part of a multiple video set which can all be merged into a single video/data file, and then it will ask if you want to extract GPS info as a data file. Clicking yes will write a CSV file with Time (UTC in seconds since 1/1/1970), latitude, longitude, altitude, and speed; and that will automatically be added as a data file.

Potential Tuner
    Thank you very much, Bob. That's what I was hoping to hear. The camera will show up in a few days and then I will try it out. I used to do this with Race Render and my Microsquirt ECU. So I have done it in the past, about 6 years ago. If you are able, please keep an eye on this thread and I will post up what I find when the camera arrives. Many thanks!