Thread: Race Render Ultimate 3.7.3 & GoPro 8 GPS Data

Potential Tuner

Race Render Ultimate 3.7.3 & GoPro 8 GPS Data

Hi guys!

Long time user of Race Render. I just ordered a GoPro 8 Black. It has GPS data and some other data (not sure yet what it all has). Question, will Race Render Ultimate read the GPS data from it?

Best & Thanks!

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by marvin-miller View Post
    Hi guys!

Long time user of Race Render. I just ordered a GoPro 8 Black. It has GPS data and some other data (not sure yet what it all has). Question, will Race Render Ultimate read the GPS data from it?

Best & Thanks!
    Yes, RaceRender is able to extract GPS coordinates from most GoPro videos (if the camera supports it, which the GoPro 8 Black does). From that, RaceRender can calculate speed and G-force measurements as well (I think...). This might not be as accurate as recording data separately on a phone through an app like TrackAddict and definitely wouldn't be as accurate as an external GPS receiver hooked up to the same app (some are much better than others...), but it would still give you some data that you can overlay, and you can fully customize how it would look.

When you add the video to RaceRender, it will first look to see if that video is part of a multiple video set which can all be merged into a single video/data file, and then it will ask if you want to extract GPS info as a data file. Clicking yes will write a CSV file with Time (UTC in seconds since 1/1/1970), latitude, longitude, altitude, and speed; and that will automatically be added as a data file.

Potential Tuner
    Thank you very much, Bob. That's what I was hoping to hear. The camera will show up in a few days and then I will try it out. I used to do this with Race Render and my Microsquirt ECU. So I have done it in the past, about 6 years ago. If you are able, please keep an eye on this thread and I will post up what I find when the camera arrives. Many thanks!

Potential Tuner
    @HoboBob.

You said: it will first look to see if that video is part of a multiple video set which can all be merged into a single video/data file, and then it will ask if you want to extract GPS info as a data file. Clicking yes will write a CSV file with Time (UTC in seconds since 1/1/1970), latitude, longitude, altitude, and speed; and that will automatically be added as a data file.

I had this happen once, and I can not recreate the situation where it asks if this is part of a multi video file. The footage is from a GoPro Hero 8. I take the card out of the camera, put it in a SD card reader adapter, and plug into PC. What am I doing wrong? I'm just getting single files vs. one large.

Potential Tuner
    I can't answer that question (sorry - I'm sure Bob can) but I just wanted to confirm that the GoPro 8 GP data worked out of the box, so to speak. I made one video, complete with GPS data, and then stuk an altimeter and speedometer gage on the video. I've since returned the camera but it did work.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by sonicdj View Post
    @HoboBob.

You said: it will first look to see if that video is part of a multiple video set which can all be merged into a single video/data file, and then it will ask if you want to extract GPS info as a data file. Clicking yes will write a CSV file with Time (UTC in seconds since 1/1/1970), latitude, longitude, altitude, and speed; and that will automatically be added as a data file.

I had this happen once, and I can not recreate the situation where it asks if this is part of a multi video file. The footage is from a GoPro Hero 8. I take the card out of the camera, put it in a SD card reader adapter, and plug into PC. What am I doing wrong? I'm just getting single files vs. one large.
    I would guess that RaceRender is looking at the video file names since the first file always starts with GOPR* and subsequent files start with just GP0#* (where # starts at 1 and increases for each part of the file; at least, that's the case on my GoPro Session 5 and Hero 8 Black). So, be sure to not rename the files. I did confirm that changing the name (even if it goes from GOPR0266.MP4 to GOPR0266 - Copy.MP4) does prevent RaceRender from recognizing the multipart video. So, I would definitely guess that RaceRender is looking at the format of the filenames to recognize multipart videos.

Also, I always copy the videos to my computer's hard drive first. If the video is large enough to span multiple files, then it will probably take some time to get off of the SD card anyway which would make skipping around its timeline in RaceRender pretty difficult (or at least maddeningly slow). Maybe RaceRender is having trouble recognizing the other files directly on the SD card, but copying to an intermediate location like your desktop first might help? You would obviously need to have each of the files that make up the video in the same folder as well or RaceRender wouldn't know where to look for the other parts.

Potential Tuner
    Thank you for the reply, it did eventually see them as a collection when I tried to import using the last file, not the first. One thing I am noticing though is, the GPS data is out of wack. The map shows me driving in a weird triangle pattern from the start before the actual ride started (which wasn't the case) and the speed-o is off. It's done it 2x now and no idea why. Any tips?

Tuner in Training
    I only know this when I edit a CSV file in Excel ... But when I joine 2 files, video and audio are out of sync. As long as I process each file for myself there are no problems.

Tuner in Training
    As it looks, RaceRender can't handle timewarp videos.
    When importing, it is shown that GPS data is available, but RaceRender then freezes (no feedback).
    Everything works perfectly with normal videos.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by ozoffi View Post
    As it looks, RaceRender can't handle timewarp videos from GoPro Hero 8.
    But - it works ... it only takes a long time before RaceRender is done and the video can be edited after displaying whether the GPS data should be exported ...
    This data is then also exported in REAL TIME.
    I.e. The video was recorded over 30 minutes - but the TimeWarp recording is only 1 minute long. The GPS data have the real time timestamp ... so after 1 minute of video the rest is black ...
    Can you do something with it?
    YES! By deleting the actual video, only keeping the GPS data, importing the desired overlays, exporting the video - ATTENTION for later editing, the displays should NOT contain black (RGB: 0,0,0)! - Then place this video in an editing program as an overlay (make the background transparent with Chromakey on black) with adaptation of the video speed to the timewarp video ...