Thread: Pretty sure VCM Editor just bricked my ECM..... very, very unimpressed right now

Tuner

Angry Pretty sure VCM Editor just bricked my ECM..... very, very unimpressed right now

I was writing to it just like any other day. Yes, full batter on my laptop and car. Editor froze up on erasing, now it won't start, code throwing is U0100 lost communication with ECM. Cannot read from it, only my fuel controller shows up now..... I thought there were failsafes against this type of thing? I'd appreciate some help immediately, as this is my daily driver, and I have been using this thing for almost 2 years now, and never had this happen.

i wish you the bet of luck. out a bunch myself for something that wont work either

https://support.hptuners.com/index.php?/Tickets/Submit is for support.

Wish I could help. I'm having issues getting answers to pre-sale questions. HPT is the only option for me, else I'd have given up and checked elsewhere.

It's Sunday, not sure how you expect support to answer you when they aren't in the office.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner
    It won't always be the only one.... believe me on that... I already contacted support, but I am about to blow up their ticketing system.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    It's Sunday, not sure how you expect support to answer you when they aren't in the office.
    Because we pay a fuck ton of money for this crap and it was the middle of the day on a Sunday... you know... the weekend... when MOST people that work full time are tuning their vehicles. It would be straight up STUPID not to have at least one person on call to answer support questions.

Quote Originally Posted by RoninDusette View Post
    Because we pay a fuck ton of money for this crap and it was the middle of the day on a Sunday... you know... the weekend... when MOST people that work full time are tuning their vehicles. It would be straight up STUPID not to have at least one person on call to answer support questions.
    yeah...they dont do that lol

This is why I pick up cheap spare PCM devices at the junkyard as insurance. On a Half Price Sale Day around here, I can get one for $18.00 and always have a good working PCM and tune as my Ace In The Hole.

Rick
    1970 Chevrolet El Camino LM7 5.3 liter mill and a 4L60E transmission.

Quote Originally Posted by RoninDusette View Post
    I have a couple of spares. Problem is now I gotta see if I can get this damn mongoose cable to work with GDS2 (I have never been able to get GDS2, SPS, or any other crap to work with as advertised. If you guys have any tips, I am all ears.). I knew I should have just purchased an MDI years ago. Or at least A year ago.

@mach - Then they are dicks and terrible business owners. They promise all sorts of features, and never deliver. Their support is absolutely dogshit from my experience, they tax HARD for, say, me to replace my ECM in my own vehicle and have to pay credits for my car AGAIN AND the new ECM. I cannot wait until someone hacks the shit out of their stuff again and releases it. Every goddam time I need support, they fight tooth and nail. This time was 100% the fault of their own software, which they have no support for helping those that TUNE ON THEIR DAYS OFF.... THE FRIKKIN WEENEND. I pine for the day when someone knocks them off their pedestal. Shit like this is how companies get sued.
    ive wanted to mess with my wifes car some more for awhile after i did basic stuff. but its fine for what it does, and im scared to do anymore due to stories like this.

Senior Tuner
    Vehicle type and year? MPVI2 I presume?

Tuner
    I've flashed this car and others many, many, many times. Rarely run into an issue. But when I do, support lags hard.

And it's a 2015 cruze 1.4t manual with an e78 ecm. And yes. Mpvi2. I've already tried everything I can think of short of benching the damn thing and either trying gds2 on the bench or just straight up jtag-ing it into boot recovery. I'm still going to try a few things. I can likely get into it with my kess and recover it like that but I'm doubtful. I don't see how this thing bricked during a calibration only flash with all of their fancy "100% recovery in the lab" features, because it sure as shit didn't work this time.

Tuner
    Well well well.... I needed to take my daughter to the hospital suddenly.... And guess who doesn't have a car because someone's software suddenly shit the bed. Thanks, hp tuners support. So awesome.

Tuner
    Come on guys. I'm now missing a day of work because of this bs.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    chevy cruze ecm's are a weird one, if I recall correctly you can fry them if you don't key on properly, I would assume thats what happened here.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"