Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking for direction cant figure it out

Tuner in Training

looking for direction cant figure it out

i recently did a dod delete on my 2012 caprice 6.0 liter i tried to tune myself and couldnt get it to idle
    i gave it to a tuner and we are trying to figure out a problem with the car, i will attach logs to this write up
    i can be driving it at 45mph in 5th and 6th gear and it has random lean spikes ,it will jerk or stutter from what i can see in the logs ,the fuel pressure is constant ,the map is reading steady ,its not jumping around ,there are no misfire codes ,the maf is failed ,it is a sd tune now.now today on my 4 mile trip to work it has gotten really bad and it had enough and went into reduced power mode ,it lean spikes at idle ,my afr shoots from 14 to 17 randomly at idle, i just want to see if anyone here has any more insight,the one log is a 15 mile trip and the other is a idle log.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    You need to finish tuning your VVE table. It's not very smooth and has a lot of fuel errors. You are logging knock as well.
    Under dynamic airflow set high RPM disable to 8000
    Set high RPM re-enable to 7900
    Your PE table is way to rich above 3000 RPM. (Assuming you did that since you are still tuning VVE)
    Under Engine Diag - Airflow - Airflow Correlation - Change the enable RPM to 8000 RPM
    Return your MAF table back to stock. You can start to tune the MAF from SD once you get the fueling dialed in.
    Do you still have your stock tune? You have a lot of torque management disabled.

Make sure nothing mechanical is wrong and you have no vacuum leaks

What cam did you install and did you do any other modifications to the car?

I don't know what it is with Caprice's but they are my least favorite Gen4's to tune LOL. Call me crazy but they behave differently and are sensitive.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by momotunes View Post
    You need to finish tuning your VVE table. It's not very smooth and has a lot of fuel errors. You are logging knock as well.
    Under dynamic airflow set high RPM disable to 8000
    Set high RPM re-enable to 7900
    Your PE table is way to rich above 3000 RPM. (Assuming you did that since you are still tuning VVE)
    Under Engine Diag - Airflow - Airflow Correlation - Change the enable RPM to 8000 RPM
    Return your MAF table back to stock. You can start to tune the MAF from SD once you get the fueling dialed in.
    Do you still have your stock tune? You have a lot of torque management disabled.

Make sure nothing mechanical is wrong and you have no vacuum leaks

What cam did you install and did you do any other modifications to the car?

I don't know what it is with Caprice's but they are my least favorite Gen4's to tune LOL. Call me crazy but they behave differently and are sensitive.

Tuner in Training
    I handed the tune over to a tuner.he sends me updates when I send him logs .but it's not working.he scrapped my tune and started over .I put a Texas speed torque v2 cam in it.i put roller rockers on it ,jba long tubes,no cats 3 inch.cold air kit .I made a temp sensor wire from the MAF wires and moved and the iat closer to the air filter i don't understand how it can go lean quickly and recover quickly.i may start from scratch .I did tune my MAF table before I gave it to the tuner,he shut it off ..

Advanced Tuner
    Post your stock tune and cam specs. I'll try to help you. Also, what IAT sensor did you use? GM part number.

Tuner in Training
    i have a fast 307004 iat sensor in it, it reads normal (i think),looks normal anyway. as soon as it gets above 2000 rpm it runs great,but it surges sometimes .i figure that could be the vve table.my tuner seems to have no interest in fixing it,i attached my stock tune.AND A NEW ONE I STARTED the idle hunts after 10 seconds of running thanks for your help.my cam is a Texas Speed TSP Torquer V2 232/234 .600"/.600" Camshaft 112 LSA with 1.8 rockers 632 lift
    Last edited by rodstrong0; 06-24-2020 at 02:22 PM.

Tuner in Training
    here is what i restarted
    Last edited by rodstrong0; 06-24-2020 at 05:29 PM.

Tuner in Training
    i started to redo the idle but my afr is going crazy lean i took a log of the idle,what could cause such afr swings ?

Tuner in Training
    anyone??????

post your stock tune please. There are so many interesting things in this tune that most likely do not belong.
    2012 ZL1 - Maggie Heartbeat, Port & Polish Heads, Custom Cam, Custom rotating assembly, steel sleeved LS9, No NOS and No water meth. 16psi
    810rwhp and 820rwtq 91 Octane 6400 rpm
    948rwhp and 951rwtq 105 Octane 6400 rpm
    999rwhp and 997rwtq on 60% Ethanol 6400 rpm

Tuner in Training
    the stock tune has been posted a couple of replys back

Tuner in Training
    I can send it to you directly when I get home from work

Tuner in Training
    here is the tune from the tuner.and the factory tune and logs

Advanced Tuner
    Judging from your wideband response to even small throttle movements through the whole file, I'd say your transient fueling is completely wrong. You gotta log more than 10 things though lol. Cylinder air mass, injector pulse width, some sort of airflow, maybe IVT, O2s...those would be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by rodstrong0 View Post
    here is the tune from the tuner.and the factory tune and logs
    We need to start from stock to figure it all out. Which tune, in this list, was in the the car at the time of the log.

AND are you sure mycapstock.hpt is the tune that came in the car from the factory because none of the others are?
    Last edited by jsllc; 06-30-2020 at 11:38 PM.
    2012 ZL1 - Maggie Heartbeat, Port & Polish Heads, Custom Cam, Custom rotating assembly, steel sleeved LS9, No NOS and No water meth. 16psi

Tuner in Training
    the one that says Dave l77 rev 2
    that was from the tuner

Tuner in Training
    thanks for helping me

That one has many edits. Open it and click EDIT -=> View Change/ History Logs and then click on Complete saved History. You will see many edits and we do not know if the starting point was stock. Just let me know if that is the closest to stock you have.

Quote Originally Posted by rodstrong0 View Post
    thanks for helping me
    No problem. Do you have a WB hooked up to this? Do you own a HPT device?

Tuner in Training
    i have both wideband and mvpi 2. this shoukd be stock
    Last edited by rodstrong0; 07-01-2020 at 02:29 PM.