Thread: Can I disable the A/C based on ECT with an E40 pcm?

Tuner in Training

Can I disable the A/C based on ECT with an E40 pcm?

Here in Las Vegas, my 2006 TBSS struggles to keep cool on the ultra hot days(100+). At idle, the temp will very slowly creep up to 220+ if it sits long enough with the A/C on. I was hoping I could have it disable the A/C after 215 or so, but can't find anywhere in the tune to do that. Am I missing it? I'd like to be able to leave it running without fear of it melting down unattended.
    1975 Vega ls/turbo, 2006 TBSS turbo daily driver

Apply the 2 bar os and you can turn on the fans a little sooner. Put in a high flow Meziere electric water pump. Bigger radiator?
    2000 Camaro SS 2015 L83 port injected, Whipple 3.0, 4L80E, 8.8 Ford
    2013 Silverado 5.3, 6L80k 8.8

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakegoat View Post
    Apply the 2 bar os and you can turn on the fans a little sooner. Put in a high flow Meziere electric water pump. Bigger radiator?
    I have the two 1900 cfm fans coming on high by 180. Radiator is a large FSR aluminum unit and trans cooler is entirely separate. 2 bar OS is installed. Driving around yesterday when it was 106 degrees out, it was running 200 degrees. But come to an idle for 10 minutes I'd be at 220. I recently switched from a Mark-VIII fan to the dual Spal fans and that made it a lot better, but it still creeps up ever so slowly with the A/C on. Water pump is stock, though I've never had a problem cooling with a stock one in other ls powered vehicles. I think it has a hard time getting the hot air out of the engine compartment and some of it ends up going back around in front of the radiator again. I'm going to seal the radiator to the core support better, but was hoping I could cut A/C via ECT as a fail safe.

Advanced Tuner
    I sealed the radiator first. It lowered the temps and helped temps at idle without A/C however it still would eventually get hot with A/C on. A/C discharge pressure was really high too. I made a fan shroud from fiberglass, installed it and it cured my problem and significantly reduced the fans run time. The fans I was running were two 12 inch s-blade spal fans.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by momotunes View Post
    I sealed the radiator first. It lowered the temps and helped temps at idle without A/C however it still would eventually get hot with A/C on. A/C discharge pressure was really high too. I made a fan shroud from fiberglass, installed it and it cured my problem and significantly reduced the fans run time. The fans I was running were two 12 inch s-blade spal fans.
    The Spal fans have a shroud already(PCM of NC) and I've installed additional weatherstrip around the edges to seal it to the radiator. Is that the shroud you are talking about or something in front of the condenser?

Does this have a silly low-temp thermostat in it?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Does this have a silly low-temp thermostat in it?
    Not sure how silly it is, but I believe it is a 180 degree tstat.

Just asking because it sounds like what happens with a low temp stat and high heat loads - less stable temperature. The minimum stable temp is lower when heat loads are low, but the peaks are much higher at high loads, sometimes enough to get into a runaway overheat situation. In my old-timey hot rods a 160* stat would have a range of 160-200, but a 180* stat would never go over 185. No other changes between the two.

Put a new stock 187* stat in it.

There are gaps between the radiator and core support where used, hot engine bay air can recirc back around to the front of the rad. Those are the gaps that need attention on these trucks.

Consider an external trans cooler if you don't already have one, mounted somewhere that its heat load isn't added to the radiator.